ronnup Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 For a different discussion, let's assume we stay up. How do you think the owners would play it? Signings, budget, coaching etc? I think they'd be keeping one eye on other managers and i also think they're itching to spend money too.
Buzzell Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 Whether Pearson is around or they look to bring in somebody else, I would expect them to dish out a reasonable amount of transfer kitty to revamp the squad. Last thing we need is another summer of missing out on targets and 'being happy with the squad' when its obvious to all that we lack real quality at this level.
Nick Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 I can see them spending like fury if we were to survive - they know what money buys and the consequences of not spending.
ronnup Posted 19 February 2015 Author Posted 19 February 2015 I genuinely think they'd go barmy on the transfers, for good or for bad, we'd have a dramatically different squad the year after.
Crinklyfox Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 If we stay up that will mean that we have players that can successfully compete at this level so the necessity to spend big will be diminished. In that case they'd only target quality players who could improve the squad and there will be a lot of other clubs going for the same players.
Ollie93 Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 I think the amount they would spend would depend who our manager was IF we stayed up. If Pearson was still in charge then id expect a couple of premier ship quality players to come in. Where as if another manager came in, I could see a drastic change in players, whether this would be good or bad I couldn't say.
Bagworthblue Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 Is there an irony here that (and I like Pearson btw and would keep him no matter what) Nigel stands a greater chance of keeping his job if we are relegated than he does if he keeps us up. To get re-promoted, consistency, keeping the squad together, with high spirits and promotion 'know how' arguably make Pearson prime choice. Alternatively, if we stay up, the job spec changes and arguably a manager with greater prem experience that could potentially attract higher profile players, and someone with better PR skills may put Nigel a little lower down the list of prime candidates. Potentially failure could lead to Pearson's best chance of longer term success. I suppose it's a bit like if Conrad Logan had come on as sub at the end of last season and saved a penalty that gets us promoted, that save effectively would have sealed the end of his LCFC career. Ok my head is spinning now. apologies
sylofox Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 Rumour has it Wham will dump big fat sam. If that happens I can see NP gone the next day and fat sam being our new manager whatever division we are in neaxt season.
Xen Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 Is there an irony here that (and I like Pearson btw and would keep him no matter what) Nigel stands a greater chance of keeping his job if we are relegated than he does if he keeps us up. To get re-promoted, consistency, keeping the squad together, with high spirits and promotion 'know how' arguably make Pearson prime choice. Alternatively, if we stay up, the job spec changes and arguably a manager with greater prem experience that could potentially attract higher profile players, and someone with better PR skills may put Nigel a little lower down the list of prime candidates. Potentially failure could lead to Pearson's best chance of longer term success. I suppose it's a bit like if Conrad Logan had come on as sub at the end of last season and saved a penalty that gets us promoted, that save effectively would have sealed the end of his LCFC career. Ok my head is spinning now. apologies I was thinking this too. Obviously it would depend on the way we were relegated (I.e. Do we put up a good fight or go down with a whimper?), but if we stay up then NP might be on his way. That being said, in 12/13 pearson was stubborn and we almost missed the playoffs as a result, but then last season was a massive improvement. The owners may see that situation as being very similar to the one we might end up in, and choose to keep him on in the hope that he can do the same again
Dan Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 Even if we pull off the miracle, we've got to have a serious look at what we can do to avoid this kind of season next year. It should never have gone this badly. Pearson's job should be determined on how much he looks like adapting to this league in future in the next 13 games. The damage of most of this season is done already and there's no point dwelling on that now. If he keeps us up, I'd say he's done a pretty good job of adapting to this league. It's a huge, huge if though. It's one thing for a team to be bottom at Christmas (as so many like to point out) but if you look at the fixtures, we're almost certainly going to be bottom when April comes around. Could you imagine a team being bottom from November to April and actually beating the drop?
Callabinho Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 I'd still boot Nigel and bring fat Sam in.
shailen Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 Personally, I think we'd spend big, but get around 3/4 quality players, the problem area being the defence. We have shown we are better than our results this season, so don't think the general squad isnt good enough, more that we lack quality and leadership in defence.
Stevosevic Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 Quality throughout the squad would need to be added and i think the owners would be prepared to spend to stabilise in this division. Then maybe we wouldn't see huge spending in the next couple of years as we develop the squad we would have built in the summer. I don't see us staying up though.
josh Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 If we stay up that will mean that we have players that can successfully compete at this level so the necessity to spend big will be diminished. In that case they'd only target quality players who could improve the squad and there will be a lot of other clubs going for the same players. You're right. If we stay up it will mean a massive turn around in form that would mean we can compete at this level, so they would only target quality players. Sadly I don't see that complete turnaround happening...
Guest Col city fan Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 If we stay up I'd keep Pearson and hope he's learnt from the fook ups he's made this season. A quality midfield is the first thing I'd be assembling. James would stay and I'd be looking for far better to play around him.
Guest Bilo Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 If we stay up, it'd be illogical to get shot of Pearson. This is because it'd be such an incredible run and achievement that the mood around the place would be incredible. Sacking Pearson would damage that in my opinion. Also, Pearson tends to improve year on year. I don't think he's ever had a season where his team has finished lower than it did with him at the helm the season before. Last season was a perfect illustration of that, and we can hope that he'll have learned a great deal from this year's experience. As for signings, I think it's fair to say that we'd be very well funded indeed. We'd find it easier to sign players as we'd no longer be a newly promoted club and could really look to lay down a marker. I would see a LOT of comings and goings in the summer if we did stay. A whole new back four, probably a winger or two and another striker.
yorkie1999 Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 this is what we'll sing nigel pearson nigel pearson nigel peason's king.
LCFC FOX Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 As soon as a new manager comes in they'll spend loads and sign a load of new players.
MooseBreath Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 We need mid-table form to stay up from here. If Pearson can pull that off then he would definitely stay, and the players will have proved something. I'd still expect us to then invest heavily in the defence. Worry about this one if it happens though I reckon.
Danno Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 i hope we stay up in the last minute of the final day after riyad dives to win a penalty scored by nugent sending burnley down
roger the dodger Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 i hope we stay up in the last minute of the final day after riyad dives to win a penalty scored by nugent sending burnley down we won,t stay up but i hope Qpr go aswell
Danno Posted 19 February 2015 Posted 19 February 2015 we won,t stay up but i hope Qpr go aswelloriginally i hoped we'd send qpr down at the last minute but as redknapp has left we wouldn't get to see his face when hes relegated lmao
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.