Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

15 years since 2000 League Cup final.

Was a good day. Felt weirdly flat compared to 97 though.. suppose it's never going to be the same as the first you in your lifetime and playing a division 1 team where you were expected to win maybe flattened it further still

Just finished listening to the RL podcast celebrating the anniversary of that game. Great to reminisce and hear the stories of the the guys involved on the day and though it was far from a formality on the day I remember just not really feeling it (unlike on the 6 previous visits in the 90's) as we were walking down Wembley Way.

Everyone had been talking about Dave Challinor and his long throws in the build up to the game but if I remember correctly he was (kind of) at fault for both Elliott's goals as he lost his man. 

http://wp.me/p15Ocu-5dC

I Remember the bloke in front on me had a tattered old polyester scarf from the seventies tied round his wrist for luck. I Remember the Tranmere fans already having a banner for "we've only got ten men" and unveiling it after the sending off. I Remember Heskey demolshing the entire Tranmere defence. Brilliant day, especially considering the way we lost against Spurs the year before.

(Travel back 12 months and many on here thought the current squad were better than that cup winning side.)

It was a great day Michael.

And you're right. Just a year ago...

:thumbup:

Magical day. 

Last ever League Cup final won at the Old Wembley. There's something seriously special about that. Something that will never ever be broken.

First ever major trophy of the 21st century too.

And probably another 15 years before we get to the next one. No good looking back.

Why is it no good looking back, should we just pretend it ever happened and block out one of the best times the club has ever had. No thanks, I'll enjoy looking back at this stuff every now and again. It's what my late teens were all about and I'll never forget it... and I don't want to.

Why is it no good looking back, should we just pretend it ever happened and block out one of the best times the club has ever had. No thanks, I'll enjoy looking back at this stuff every now and again. It's what my late teens were all about and I'll never forget it... and I don't want to.

Hallelujah to that...

Remember me my brother and 2 mates getting our faces painted blue and white on wembley way before the match by some drunk man despite my fathers plea's that the paint being used was emulsion.

Took 3 days to get off.

It just isnt a cup final if youre not getting touched up by a drunk man.

Tranmere were no mugs, they'd knocked out West Ham, Coventry, Sunderland, Bolton and Middlesbrough in cups that year, plus Leeds, Southampton and Everton the next season. 

They didn't get through by beating lower league clubs, they were a hell of a cup side back then.

Tranmere were no mugs, they'd knocked out West Ham, Coventry, Sunderland, Bolton and Middlesbrough in cups that year, plus Leeds, Southampton and Everton the next season.

They didn't get through by beating lower league clubs, they were a hell of a cup side back then.

Is dead right....

I was there. In the coach park leaving after the game the woman in front of me told her son to wave to the dejected tranmere rovers fans in the coach opposite.

The only one who acknowledged him was a fat chav around the same age, who promptly gave him the finger lol

Those corners. When you can put corners in as good as that and have good movement in the box you've got a 50/50 chance of getting a header on goal. These days not one of our players can regularly even beat the first man.

Good balls in, inventive free kicks... but, to be fair three of the best players you could wish for to attack a ball.

But d'you really want to be like Leeds United and Florist fans all raving about what was achieved decades ago. It's not relative today but our Premiership survival is.

Do we keep looking back and harp on about the 4 FA Cup Finals we lost, no.

But d'you really want to be like Leeds United and Florist fans all raving about what was achieved decades ago. It's not relative today but our Premiership survival is.

Do we keep looking back and harp on about the 4 FA Cup Finals we lost, no.

What is the issue here? It's an anniversary of a cup final victory which gave us a place in Europe. We're mentioning it because it was a great day for the club.

It has nothing to do with this team, this manager and frankly I'm glad because we've got plenty of threads to slag off, defend, criticise, support the team and manager however people desire.

Remembering a good moment is not a bad thing, it is a nice break from the endless arguments about the present state.

Archived