Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

Been some tasty games recently. The LSU-Auburn, Georgia-Auburn and Oklahoma-Baylor games were fantastic. Ravens-Pats were good as it was actually worth watching the Patriots for once.

Absolutely mad schedule coming up, too. Auburn-Bama on Thanksgiving weekend, College Championship games on w/e 7/8 December and 49ers-Packers this weekend. Salivating at the prospect of it all. (non LCFC) Football, you can take a back seat till February.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ajthefox said:

This Ravens team is as good as any I've seen watching us in the last 15 years or so, another huge win last night over the Rams. Here we come play-offs!

They've (Jackson) been incredible each time I've seen them. It's almost weird to think how difficult it is to stop an offense when you have such a dynamic QB. 49ers blowing the Packers away shows some muscle from them, too. I thought they were fallible when the Hawks beat them, but that Saleh D is incredible.

Surely the AFC needs some fresh blood rather than the Patriots boring their way into another Superbowl? Their surgical offense (third down, Edelman for just enough yards) seems to bleed teams dry. As good as their D is, surely a ferocious Ravens would be better for that Conference than a fourth SB from them in a row? (that being said, 100% admire the longevity in Belichick and Brady)

• Like 1

The Ravens look very impressive. However, if I was a Ravens fan (which I'm not), my only worry would be that they might have peaked too early. NFL history is littered with teams that romped the regular season and then came unstuck in the playoffs. You just know Belichick is cooking up a gameplan to slow down the Ravens offence should they meet again, and I wouldn't put it passed him to succeed. I also think the Chiefs, when Mahommes is in full flow, could keep up with the Ravens offensively. The postseason will be a good watch, particularly in the AFC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Sorry, but Garrett needs to go now. He's been Jerry's over-promoted pet project for 9 years now and it was clear at least 5 years ago that he was in over his head.

I'd have thought three seasons of 8-8 would've done him a few years ago. Amazing that someone with such a medicore record has clung on. He always looks completely crestfallen when his teams are losing.

Only one of two teams where the owner is GM. The other is the Bengals...

On 06/12/2019 at 09:13, lildave3 said:

Honestly can’t work the Cowboys out.

I can work the Cowboys out for you.

Think Manchester United.

It's football, and it's mostly plastic ... the ball is just a different shape.

35 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I can work the Cowboys out for you.

Think Manchester United.

It's football, and it's mostly plastic ... the ball is just a different shape.

In the sense that their performances far outweigh their actual results, you are spot on. 

On 27/11/2019 at 17:23, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The Ravens look very impressive. However, if I was a Ravens fan (which I'm not), my only worry would be that they might have peaked too early. NFL history is littered with teams that romped the regular season and then came unstuck in the playoffs. You just know Belichick is cooking up a gameplan to slow down the Ravens offence should they meet again, and I wouldn't put it passed him to succeed. I also think the Chiefs, when Mahommes is in full flow, could keep up with the Ravens offensively. The postseason will be a good watch, particularly in the AFC.

10 on the bounce now, stats galore, MVP all but won and I'm loving it. But I do have that concern. 

We've got play-off experience in recent years but it's always been as an underdog and even in 2012, we hit our peak as the season finished. I'm loving the ride and I think this team is special but I do have a slight nagging feeling that by the time the play-offs come round and we (probably) have had a week off that we will be a little slower. I still think we've got a great chance though.

As much as I dislike the Steelers, it has to be said Tomlin is doing a great job this season to keep them in the play-off picture after all the issues they had in the off-season and how they started the season. It'll be an interesting game against the Bills.

Also, another year in the play-offs for the Pats. 11 straight. But, more dodgy behaviour from them...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001087552/article/video-shows-patriots-filming-cincinnati-bengals-bench

Edited by ajthefox

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

10 on the bounce now, stats galore, MVP all but won and I'm loving it. But I do have that concern. 

We've got play-off experience in recent years but it's always been as an underdog and even in 2012, we hit our peak as the season finished. I'm loving the ride and I think this team is special but I do have a slight nagging feeling that by the time the play-offs come round and we (probably) have had a week off that we will be a little slower. I still think we've got a great chance though.

As much as I dislike the Steelers, it has to be said Tomlin is doing a great job this season to keep them in the play-off picture after all the issues they had in the off-season and how they started the season. It'll be an interesting game against the Bills.

Also, another year in the play-offs for the Pats. 11 straight. But, more dodgy behaviour from them...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001087552/article/video-shows-patriots-filming-cincinnati-bengals-bench

Why the hell would anyone spy on the Bengals? lol

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this as it's WILDCARD WEEKEND, Jason Garrett has gone and the Playoffs begin.

Buzzing for Sunday, those two NFC matchups should be insane, the NFC is stacked this year. Hoping the Titans do it against NE, the AFC (imo) needs some fresh blood in the Championship game/Superbowl, despite how brilliant their dynasty is.

Going for Bills (don't trust the Texans), Patriots, Saints and Eagles.

The whole drama of the new Cowboys HC will be really interesting, too, considering the size of the job. Lincoln Riley has been mentioned but I don't know if JJ wants a big name or someone to come in and nudge what is a talented team into producing what they can, it's not like they need to start from scratch.

19 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Reviving this as it's WILDCARD WEEKEND, Jason Garrett has gone and the Playoffs begin.

Buzzing for Sunday, those two NFC matchups should be insane, the NFC is stacked this year. Hoping the Titans do it against NE, the AFC (imo) needs some fresh blood in the Championship game/Superbowl, despite how brilliant their dynasty is.

Going for Bills (don't trust the Texans), Patriots, Saints and Eagles.

The whole drama of the new Cowboys HC will be really interesting, too, considering the size of the job. Lincoln Riley has been mentioned but I don't know if JJ wants a big name or someone to come in and nudge what is a talented team into producing what they can, it's not like they need to start from scratch.

JJ wants what he always wants. A 'yes-man', a puppet, someone who won't rock the boat, someone who is happy to let him take all the credit in the unlikely event they one day win another championship. You can tell he hates the fact he has to move on from Garrett.

As for the playoffs. Anyone but the Eagles.