Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

10 hours ago, The Bear said:

I see Antonio Brown is going to be suspended by the Raiders for threatening to smack the GM. He seems a bit unhinged that lad. 

He's been released. The Raiders withheld his guaranteed money because they suspended him. AB demanded to be released and the Raiders obliged. Always thought it was a marriage made in hell, but I didn't expect things to turn sour this quickly. I wonder if any team is desperate enough for WR help to take him on, and the ensuing headache.

19 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Great start for the ravens with a franchise record win.

I think we will do well this year but I think 59-10 is probably more a reflection of where the Dolphins will be come January than it us.

The Dolphins will be 0 and 16. And may regularly concede 50 points. It seems they are literally pinning their Hope's on tanking and picking up Tua in the 2020 draft.

However it's a seriously risky strategy. He's hardly gonna want to go there with next to no talent left on the roster. Although I guess the amount of salary cap space they have freed up by basically shipping out any player that you could consider half decent may mean they make him a $$$ contract he can't refuse. 

But I'd bet he's spending the next few months trying to find anyway to avoid going to Miami. 

It's gonna be one very long season for us Dolphins next up New England and although they have lost the last 2 visits to Miami, the sun must get to them lol I can't see anyway theres a repeat this time round. Patriots to pile on the points.

14 hours ago, Bayfox said:

The Dolphins will be 0 and 16. And may regularly concede 50 points. It seems they are literally pinning their Hope's on tanking and picking up Tua in the 2020 draft.

However it's a seriously risky strategy. He's hardly gonna want to go there with next to no talent left on the roster. Although I guess the amount of salary cap space they have freed up by basically shipping out any player that you could consider half decent may mean they make him a $$$ contract he can't refuse. 

But I'd bet he's spending the next few months trying to find anyway to avoid going to Miami. 

It's gonna be one very long season for us Dolphins next up New England and although they have lost the last 2 visits to Miami, the sun must get to them lol I can't see anyway theres a repeat this time round. Patriots to pile on the points.

Doesn't quite work like that though, the contract for draft picks is not flexible like it was in the past so he would get the same no matter who drafts him as it is the draft position that determines the size of his contract. Being drafted at number 1 is way more important to players than where they end up anyway.

The best way to win nowadays is a good QB on a cheap rookie contract and loads of cap space to sign veterans to make the most of that four year window before you get in the situation Dallas are in now. Miami is a good landing spot for him as they will have a huge amount to spend to put pieces around a number one pick as well as plenty of draft picks and a relatively easy division (assuming Bill and Tom can't last forever and the Jets and Bills carry on being themselves).

3 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

Doesn't quite work like that though, the contract for draft picks is not flexible like it was in the past so he would get the same no matter who drafts him as it is the draft position that determines the size of his contract. Being drafted at number 1 is way more important to players than where they end up anyway.

The best way to win nowadays is a good QB on a cheap rookie contract and loads of cap space to sign veterans to make the most of that four year window before you get in the situation Dallas are in now. Miami is a good landing spot for him as they will have a huge amount to spend to put pieces around a number one pick as well as plenty of draft picks and a relatively easy division (assuming Bill and Tom can't last forever and the Jets and Bills carry on being themselves).

Ah didn't realise that. The way I had read stuff was that miami planned to offer him big money.

If that's not the case, then what they have done to their roster makes no sense. They could surely have kept on some of the players they have let go. Or do they really need to be that bad this season to get the no.1 pick?

Can't say I've watched regularly for a number of years as I only signed upto $ky 2 years ago.

My fear is even if they get him, they would be daft enough to trade him. As from the outside the organisation seems a mess and has no real leadership at the minute.

3 hours ago, mancunianfox said:

That's the downside of being one of the few teams that know how to draft well (since Jerry allowed Will McClay to have an input that is).

47 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Ah didn't realise that. The way I had read stuff was that miami planned to offer him big money.

If that's not the case, then what they have done to their roster makes no sense. They could surely have kept on some of the players they have let go. Or do they really need to be that bad this season to get the no.1 pick?

Can't say I've watched regularly for a number of years as I only signed upto $ky 2 years ago.

My fear is even if they get him, they would be daft enough to trade him. As from the outside the organisation seems a mess and has no real leadership at the minute.

It isn't a common strategy in the NFL as the financial benefits of a number 1 drafted QB only really came in a few years ago when rookie contracts became much cheaper. Teams have slowly started to cotton on now and more are trying it. If your aim is to try and tank the season there is no point in having players on large contracts so you want to try and get as much draft capital as possible and clear as much cap space. Plus having good players might mean you accidentally win (this hilariously kind of happened to the Jets who were even bad at being bad).

Usually in the NFL if one team does something successfully others follow and Miami have seen Cleveland doing this and ending up with quality players like Mayfield, Chubb, Beckham Jnr, Garrett and Ward and thought they will have a bit of that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

utter moment of madness in the browns Vs Steelers last night Myles Garrett losing his head (AGAIN) and about taking Rudolph head off!

Think he is going to be facing a lengthy ban for it.

He’ll be out for the season, absolutely awful behaviour. Those lids can be like hollow bowling balls so I’m amazed Garrett didn’t crack Rudolph’s head with it.