Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Those who need a dose of Patriots schadenfreude (i.e. every fan of every other club) got a huge one today.  But it’s so gross and so sad, there’s nothing that feels good about it.

A man worth six billion dollars alleged with visiting a strip-mall massage parlor to pay for sex acts with trafficked Asian women.  Charges imminent.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26055197/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-charged-solicitation-prostitution

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Errrr, Cleveland, what's occurring? 

Errrr, I guess I represent Cleveland on here?

I'm as shocked as you.    :jawdrop:  I gave up my season ticket way back, don't live and die with the Browns like I once did.

On paper, complete theft.  A mid-first round pick and an average safety for a superstar at an impact position.  And the Giants swallowed Beckham's $20M signing bonus.

Fair to say folks around here are excited.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The Gronk retires. Linebackers and Defensive Backs everywhere breath a sigh of relief.

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/26351121/grateful-gronkowski-announces-retirement

Been on the cards for a while but is still sad to see. Fair play to him though, he's had so many injuries that to risk getting another but one at his age could mean he will be ruined for the rest of his life. 

Living in New England, you hear a lot of his antics and everyone loves him. 

7 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

Been on the cards for a while but is still sad to see. Fair play to him though, he's had so many injuries that to risk getting another but one at his age could mean he will be ruined for the rest of his life. 

Living in New England, you hear a lot of his antics and everyone loves him. 

Gronk now saying he might come back in an emergency if the Pats really need him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The Gronk retires. Linebackers and Defensive Backs everywhere breath a sigh of relief.

http://www.espn.co.uk/nfl/story/_/id/26351121/grateful-gronkowski-announces-retirement

I read somewhere that during his 9-10 year career, he's never spent a dime of his basic salary - only the money he's earnt from his endorsements.

At $30m a season in wages, that suggests he's got a fair bit stashed away for his retirement. 

Smart boy behind the goofy exterior :thumbup:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Izzy said:

I read somewhere that during his 9-10 year career, he's never spent a dime of his basic salary - only the money he's earnt from his endorsements.

At $30m a season in wages, that suggests he's got a fair bit stashed away for his retirement. 

Smart boy behind the goofy exterior :thumbup:

Yeah I've heard that a few times as well. I think there was a red bull of monster with his face on recently, which I thought was odd. 

His big one on TV over here last year was for tide pods, so he didn't need to spend money on food for a while either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's draft week in the NFL. Normally, I'd stay up and watch. But with the Cowboys not having a first-round pick this year I think I'll just watch the second-round onwards. Not that I'm complaining, the Amari Cooper trade proved to be well worth our first-rounder. Will be interesting to see where Kyler Murray goes though. Like Baker Mayfield last year, opinions seem to be split due to his lack of stature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2019 at 11:29, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Well it's draft week in the NFL. Normally, I'd stay up and watch. But with the Cowboys not having a first-round pick this year I think I'll just watch the second-round onwards. Not that I'm complaining, the Amari Cooper trade proved to be well worth our first-rounder. Will be interesting to see where Kyler Murray goes though. Like Baker Mayfield last year, opinions seem to be split due to his lack of stature.

Never watched the draft Live.. life's too short. But will be interested to see how the QB's drafted this year plus Josh Rosen get on over the next few years. 

Especially the Giants Vs Redskins choices.. hoping they are both busts!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Andrew Luck abruptly retires during preseason. The guy's body is just breaking down. Time for Indy to get on the phone to Kaepernick?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/49464032

I don't think his last name was quite fitting unfortunately.

Was great when he was healthy though. 

FYI the senior and under 19 britbowl finals are going to be streamed live on BBC sport this Sunday. The senior final between Tamworth Phoenix and London Warriors should be a cracker! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/american-football/49494578?fbclid=IwAR2uBgB9sp0Po9Ws3pQH4SKWYjLjamuqAXcJsmdOazBIO5tEpSbTvvgXltE

Edited by Fox in the North

from the Athletic.  Funny, I don't recall any Saints partisans in this thread.

To help beginners find their team, we asked our UK writers to work out which NFL team you should support based on your favourite Premier League outfit.

Leicester City

To find a team comparable to Leicester, you must find a team that has recently both been in the doldrums and won the Super Bowl for the first time in a tale of almost unrivalled legend.

Which could only be the New Orleans Saints, whose Lombardi Trophy a few years after Hurricane Katrina remains one of the most incredible stories in NFL history.