Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

About the Ravens … hear me out.  For years I was a Browns STH and lived and died with the team, like much of Cleveland.  There were many Division and better titles; but win or lose, 70,000-plus crowds in a horrific shithole stadium, the loudest in the league.  Along with Oakland, the closest thing the NFL had to the terraces.

Unfortunately the owner, Art Modell was feckless, with money problems and a wastrel son.  In the 1990s, the city built new facilities for the baseball and basketball clubs but put off the Browns.  Modell cut a secret deal with Baltimore, and the vans came in the middle of the night and took our “flagship” of the NFL.  This was not a moral triumph.  But it is the genesis of the Ravens.

The Modell family no longer own the team (a free stadium wasn’t enough to fill their financial hole).  And it’s not my place to tell other adults who they can choose to support.

But I am saying, if you couldn’t support MK Dons as your “second club”, maybe the Ravens shouldn’t be “your NFL team”.  Thanks for listening.

20 minutes ago, KingsX said:

About the Ravens … hear me out.  For years I was a Browns STH and lived and died with the team, like much of Cleveland.  There were many Division and better titles; but win or lose, 70,000-plus crowds in a horrific shithole stadium, the loudest in the league.  Along with Oakland, the closest thing the NFL had to the terraces.

Unfortunately the owner, Art Modell was feckless, with money problems and a wastrel son.  In the 1990s, the city built new facilities for the baseball and basketball clubs but put off the Browns.  Modell cut a secret deal with Baltimore, and the vans came in the middle of the night and took our “flagship” of the NFL.  This was not a moral triumph.  But it is the genesis of the Ravens.

The Modell family no longer own the team (a free stadium wasn’t enough to fill their financial hole).  And it’s not my place to tell other adults who they can choose to support.

But I am saying, if you couldn’t support MK Dons as your “second club”, maybe the Ravens shouldn’t be “your NFL team”.  Thanks for listening.

But it's happened a lot in America - the Colts to Indy, the Rams from Cleveland to LA then to St Louis. The Dodgers to LA. The Oilers to Tennessee. MK Dons was something that had never happened in England before (apart from maybe Arsenal moving from S. London). A lot of American sports 'franchises' have only been in the city for a few decades or have only existed for a limited time. Not that I'm saying it wasn't extremely traumatic for you in 95, just that it would be harder not to cheer for a club in America that hasn't moved at some point. 

15 hours ago, bovril said:

But it's happened a lot in America - the Colts to Indy, the Rams from Cleveland to LA then to St Louis. The Dodgers to LA. The Oilers to Tennessee. MK Dons was something that had never happened in England before (apart from maybe Arsenal moving from S. London). A lot of American sports 'franchises' have only been in the city for a few decades or have only existed for a limited time. Not that I'm saying it wasn't extremely traumatic for you in 95, just that it would be harder not to cheer for a club in America that hasn't moved at some point. 

Agreed. I will hold the owner accountable for ripping the franchise away from the city, but the players/fans had nothing to do with it. At the end of the day, everyone wants a NFL franchise, and there's only 32 to go around. 

It seems unbelievable to me that historical franchises, like the Oakland Raiders, are about to leave their city and fans just because of the economics/stadium situation. These crooked owners hold taxpayers hostage, saying that if they don't get public funding for the stadium every 20-30 years, they're going to up and leave. 

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Mike McCarthy to become Cowboys HC by all accounts. Cautiously optimistic about this. Lost his way a bit towards the end of his Green Bay tenure, but definite upgrade on Garrett. Hopefully Jerry won't meddle and will allow him to bring in his own assistants and implement his own philosophy.

GettyImages.837188378.jpg

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2019 at 17:23, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The Ravens look very impressive. However, if I was a Ravens fan (which I'm not), my only worry would be that they might have peaked too early. NFL history is littered with teams that romped the regular season and then came unstuck in the playoffs. You just know Belichick is cooking up a gameplan to slow down the Ravens offence should they meet again, and I wouldn't put it passed him to succeed. I also think the Chiefs, when Mahommes is in full flow, could keep up with the Ravens offensively. The postseason will be a good watch, particularly in the AFC.

Ahem.

When I wrote this I certainly didn't expect it to be the Titans who would be the ones to stop the Ravens, but like I said, it's all about timing your run for the postseason.