Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

The Thais have done enough for me to respect them

Well, based on your posts over the last couple of days, you clearly think it's that he's a xenophobe who has never liked them for that reason. Yet it's pretty clear that large numbers of left wing posters who are as far away from xenophobic as you can get, completely agree with the arguments Matt is putting forward on this one. I don't exactly agree with Matt's politics, but it's a bit ridiculous that you can get away with these allegations against him when he's done nothing, in this instance, to support them. I think he's skeptical of the owners, because as he says, they've made numerous awful errors.

So many awful errors that we're in our best position since the 90s. Yes, they've been positively dreadful

So many awful errors that we're in our best position since the 90s. Yes, they've been positively dreadful

That's because they made they're only good footballing decision to reinstate Pearson.

Seriously, answer this, in terms of football, what positive decision have they made other than Pearson?

What a pile of tripe - Matt has got it spot on, there might well be extenuating circumstances, like supporting the actions of Smith, Hopper and Jr, but they'd need to be good ones - of managers that have taken charge of 5 games or more for this club, Pearson was 2 of the top 3 in terms of win rates, one of only two permanent managers to have a 50%+ win rate (The other being Martin Allen) in our history. Sacking him needs a bloody good explanation.

And before you come out with some nonsense about me being a racist who hates the owners - I actually had a great deal of faith in them for seemingly being content to sit back and trust footballing men to handle the football side, they didn't seem to meddle, a welcome trait looking at other owners around the country, but with the information we've got so far about this sacking, that faith was seemingly misplaced.

Information that amounts to precisely nothing, of course.

Come on fellas, there's life after Pearson. He got lucky with the run-in - thoughtfully lucky without a doubt and I was genuinely pleased for him. But he also took the piss on occasions for a bloke who was supposed to be the public image of the club.

As a bit of a rebel myself - and with a disciliplinary record I could never be proud of - I was even pleased he got away with it given what he'd done for us.

But he was often guarded or even resentful of the media,  cautious or frustrating tactically within periods of apparent enlightenment, and inclined to arrogance when a little humility might have helped him a bit more.

Overall I'd give him 7/10 as a manager but, having known a few outstanding managers in and out of football, I reckon you need a bit more than that at top level - which is where we're supposedly aiming.

It's a blow to lose Pearson at this stage - something I honestly didn't think I'd concede. And I don't rule out him gaining from this experience and becoming a better manager in future.

But he's gone, our seemingly damned good owners have made their decision - presumably in  the best interests of a club they've committed millions to - and, for me, it is time to look forward and show some faith.

If that faith proves misplaced I'm sure we'll all have our say. But what's done is done and it's time to move forward and to concentrate on what wed're trying to achieve.             

Yours is a good post, but I'll take the bit in bold - if we appoint Neil Lennon, does that not pretty much blow the argument out of the water?

If we appoint Klopp, I will pick up some faith in them again, but we won't appoint Klopp.

I think once someone is in it will be easier for people to move on. Its the uncertainty.

If it goes well under the new man, there will be some red faces at some of the stuff posted in the last few days though!

We're going to need to hire a ladder factory to facilitate all the climb downs required when it turns out that our next manager performs better than Pearson.

We're going to need to hire a ladder factory to facilitate all the climb downs required when it turns out that our next manager performs better than Pearson.

That would be absolutely fantastic, who do you think that manager will be?

That's because they made they're only good footballing decision to reinstate Pearson.

Seriously, answer this, in terms of football, what positive decision have they made other than Pearson?

Not wasting time getting rid of sousa.

Seeing through Sven's nonsense when many fans didn't.

Backing every manager with significant financial clout.

Allowing every manager to get on with the job without tinkering.

Doing what they can to facilitate a good atmosphere.

They're not perfect, but they're pretty good as far as owners go.

Troll your mind for your deepest fears and nervous anxieties, write them down completely unfiltered for the world to see, then hope everyone forgets later when you look like a fool.  Who cares what achievements, accomplishments, and efforts you ignore in the process.  Doesn't matter whether you are trashing a player, a manager, or the owners.  All get the same treatment.

Its the Foxes Talk way, don't you know.

So translated:

Getting rid of a manager they had Manadric install because they wanted a 'big name'

Getting rid of a manager who most thought was awful and had overspent significantly, which they had facilitated.

Your other points I understand but honestly, this is an awful time to sack a successful manager and surely it would have been better, whatever had gone on, to either kept him on until you at least had a replacement or just dealt with it and kept a successful manager who season on season was taking us places?

So translated:

Getting rid of a manager they had Manadric install because they wanted a 'big name'

Getting rid of a manager who most thought was awful and had overspent significantly, which they had facilitated.

Your other points I understand but honestly, this is an awful time to sack a successful manager and surely it would have been better, whatever had gone on, to either kept him on until you at least had a replacement or just dealt with it and kept a successful manager who season on season was taking us places?

I thought it was widely accepted that Mandaric bought in Sousa but I don't suppose we'll ever know for sure. Seems logical though, Mandaric owned the club and wanted to sell it and thought Sousa would make the club easier to sell.

Most people were delighted with the appointment of sven. As I recall, several months into his tenure, Steve Claridge was a lone voice criticising Sven, and Claridge got all sorts of abuse from Leicester fans for it. Sven turned out to be a poor appointment, but you would have been hard pushed to find many fans who didn't think it was a good one when it happened. When he was sacked many fans were unhappy, when Pearson was reappointed many fans were unhappy. Only three months ago many fans were unhappy that Pearson was still here. The owners got all of those decisions right.

On your last point, it's moot really. Obviously something has gone on that made his position untenable. Just because we don't know the reason doesn't mean there isn't a good one. You don't often get to know the ins and outs of a private business i'm afraid. Private businesses don't air their dirty washing in public. So asking whether or not it was the right decision is pointless, because none of us have the facts.

A man that was foisted on the club as a result of their ownership, after forcing out the bloke who had just gotten us into the playoffs.

Shame they didn't see through it before they appointed him, signed a load of shit players, dished out lucrative contracts to average players and had us in more debt than when we went into administration.

Without any questions asked whatsoever, or showing any acumen or knowledge when it comes to running a football club. Gallagher and Wellens tens of thousands of pounds a week for years. It's not enough to just sign cheques, you have to safegaurd the future of the football club. They probably wrote off all the debt they'd run up out of embarassment more than anything.

So not interfering, the standard approach for nearly all chairment in football everywhere, is a 'good decision' now? It should be a given.

Yeah, the clappers were great. What a brilliant footballing/business decision they've made that has really contributed to the position we find ourselves in today.

I don't know any more than anyone else about who it will be. There's not really a clear favourite as far as I'm aware.

So basically you're saying anyone would do a better job than Pearson did last season?

So basically you're saying anyone would do a better job than Pearson did last season?

I can't be bothered to reply to you as well as the other guy, sorry lol I think I've dealt with your points already anyway.

But on your last point, no, I was asked who I think the new manager will be, I replied that I don't know.

I can't be bothered to reply to you as well as the other guy, sorry lol I think I've dealt with your points already anyway.

But on your last point, no, I was asked who I think the new manager will be, I replied that I don't know.

Well you said before that the next guy that comes in will do a better job than Pearson. How can you suggest that if you don't have the foggiest idea who it will be? Or do you trust the owners blindly enough to make an appointment that will definitely be better than Pearson? Given their track record, it seems unlikely.

Well you said before that the new next guy that comes in will do a better job than Pearson. How can you suggest that if you don't have the foggiest idea who it will be? Or do you trust the owners blindly enough to make an appointment that will definitely be better than Pearson? Given their track record, it seems unlikely.

Faith, hope, positivity. You're welcome to be cynical and negative but that's just not my style.

I've taken a day and I'm still pissed at the decision. Regardless if the next manager improves where we place next season, who's to say Nige wouldn't have gotten us top 10? The decision appears to be on moral grounds and has nothing to do with what he has accomplished.

Maybe NP was never going to last for long, and they were looking for someone else as soon as he established us in the PL. There is no other reason imo for his dismissal. Do not believe he was sacked for the James Pearson saga, surely his performances over the season were good enough to overlook that. Think they always wanted a famous name at the club, and what is now starting to worry me is if we go back to removing some of the core of this squad with big names. We cannot be the next QPR. 

Always had the impression that for some reason they were looking for an excuse to sack Pearson as soon as we got back into the PL? He isn't the high profile man who will sign high profile players to make Leicester known worldwide. The weird thing is the timing of the sack. He could have been sacked earlier on in the season when things were going bad. Really do feel bad for NP, because imo he hasn't done anything wrong. Seems like he was just facing a losing battle. Ironically he would have probably still been here if we were relegated. 

As much as I love the owners, this move seems more about promoting the club worldwide and King Power rather than achieving stability at the club. It's a bit like they want to run before they can walk. It's actually the first time I'm questioning their motives. Of course they have no affinity with the club and think purely on a business level, but this could have implications on the long term future of our club. What was so good about Pearson, is that the core of the squad has not really been changed. He has stuck by the same players and slowly improved weaknesses where necessary. The core of this squad is better than any Leicester team for a long time. I just hope there isn't a huge overhaul and we lose this core. 

Do not believe he was sacked for the James Pearson saga, surely his performances over the season were good enough to overlook that.

I say it again, this is not a logical line of thinking.  It's far more likely that Nigel Pearson made it impossible for the club to retain him due to the James Pearson saga, not the other way around.  Look at the reports claiming that James will be challenging his dismissal, or that Nigel may plan to sue Leicester City.  Its not that the owners were not willing to overlook it, it was that Nigel and his son were not willing to accept the consequences.

If this is even remotely true, you cannot blame the owners.  They were only doing what the fans and the media and even the Thai government demanded they do - sack the lot.  So, Nigel was not in conflict with the only the owners.  He was in conflict with everyone on here and in the media and around the world who demanded his son be sacked.  And I suspect that includes a vast majority of those on here who are now trashing the owners.

Hard to know who to back in all of this.

If it's Pearson who's kicked off about James' sacking then he's in the wrong. The fact that he was at the club in the first place was always one of the few blots on Pearson's copy book IMO. He should never have been in a situation where family and work were in conflict because James wasn't here for footballing ability.

Surely the Thais are sensible enough to realise that their investment was best placed in the hands of Pearson and that the stability he brought to the club was likely to be most lucrative for them by keeping it in the Premier League. So I hope it wasn't a football decision or any misguided attempt to run before we can walk in this league.

If it has anything to do with their brand or perception of that then I'd be furious. The football club and team comes first, not a corporate entity. Regardless of Pearson's lack of PR savyness surely the best thing for their brand is a Premier League team anyway so why jeopardise that?

They've made some terrible calls, they've made some good ones. But for me the worst of all is the ambiguity surrounding the reasons why Pearson was sacked. The statement was an absolute disgrace but I highly doubt we'll hear any more on it now.

That only then turns that decision into a massive gamble. Get the next appointment wrong then all trust is gone. Get it right and people will move on, trust that they really did have the club's best interests at heart and forget about this whole debacle. Either one in spite of the fact that Pearson could, for all we know, have done something horrendously terrible.

In many ways I hope he has, because I look at the whole situation and think it stinks of both sides being utterly pathetic - whatever happened to just getting on with things professionally in spite of personal differences?

Archived