Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Leicester's biggest flop signings

I don't think it's too high a level, but i think he is a massive confidence player and needs to be playing every week to do well. We can't afford to wait for him to find form, he has no composure despite physical strength and good technique.

I can see Waghorn going to a club like Bournemouth or one of the lower Championship sides and scoring double figures. Just don't think he has a place here any more.

It would seem from your comment that you have little interest in the history of the Club. I did say it was one for the history book and at the time, it was quite controversial. He was signed to try and keep us in Div 1 - I suppose there are possible similarities with the signing of Chris Wood except he was bought to get us into the PL. The outgoing transfer fee of £26.000 was also a club record at the time. but all in all, the signing of Andy Graver was probably the biggest signing flop that had happened in the club since it was founded in 1884 and was therefore relevant to this thread. I take it that you will have no interest in the heritage day at the KP a week on Sunday when there is the opportunity to meet in person several City players from that era.. I have enjoyed to date 64 years of following Leicester City and I have some wonderful memories that span from 1949 right up to that nail-biting night last Tuesday against Bolton. Cheers, Stocky. Edited to add that if you care to look through the current issue of 4-4-2, you will come across my contribution to the superb article about Arthur Rowley - yes 59 years ago.

It was tongue in cheek lighten up!

Waghorn ... one of the most overated players I have ever seen at Leicester, just cos he ran around a lot, a lot of fans thought he was the bee's knees lol

I guess I fall into the guilty category. Although I thought he offered more than just running around a lot. His delivery from set pieces was always a cause for concern for defences and previously his finishing was relatively good! If truth be told though, I wanted him at this club because of the way he won me over with how much we mattered to him as a club, well appeared to at least - the dissapointment on his face when he missed against Cardiff in the play offs. If I could, I would've ran on that pitch and wrapped my arms around him.......

Yes Foxestalk, I have a man crush on Waghorn.

• 3 years later...

Some may suggest James Pearson was a pretty poor signing. Never played a minute in his 3 years with LC but managed to get a manager sacked. That's nepotism for you. Other than that hated every minute of Dennis Wise anywhere near the club, bellend.

Some may suggest James Pearson was a pretty poor signing. Never played a minute in his 3 years with LC but managed to get a manager sacked. That's nepotism for you. Other than that hated every minute of Dennis Wise anywhere near the club, bellend.

I am sure he did play in the league cup defeat to Shrewsbury in our first prem season under pearson

I am sure he did play in the league cup defeat to Shrewsbury in our first prem season under pearson

Indeed he did, hasn't registered on the stat sites. Extract from a report on the game:

More so, though, were three rookies in defender James Pearson and midfielders Michael Cain and Ryan Watson.

The resultant performance was far below Premier League standard,

Certainly agree 100% about Denis Wise, not because he was a poor player like so many I've watched over the years, but he, together with Peter Taylor were the start of a terrible period for the club, with us almost going out of existence. I bet he was poison in the dressing room, and no question he was here for nothing else but a final payoff. Easily the biggest flop and easily the worst signing in our history.

As for managers, there are so many who have been a disaster I might need a page of my own to put down the why's, but David Pleat was dreadful. Some of the worst players and a dire playing style throughout his time, and now he's a 'respected' pundit! Like Taylor, he should shut up, disappear, and hang his head in shame. 

• Like 1

49er, on 18 Apr 2013 - 8:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Tommy English swap deal that saw Melrose going to Cov

I'd forgotten about that one! Well remembered!

Melrose made an instant impact, English did not!

Talking of hat-tricks, Dave Long read my piece last week about debutants scoring more than one goal and thought I had missed out Jim Melrose.He remembered Melrose scoring a hat-trick against Everton in a 4-2 win in 1982 but it wasn’t his first game in a City shirt.

The Scot, signed from Leicester in a swap deal involving Tom English, made his bow the previous Saturday at St Andrews, where he failed to find the net in a 1-0 defeat.

Two other City players made their debut at Birmingham, Keith Thompson, brother of Garry, and Derek Hall, a young midfielder who never appeared in the first team again.

Melrose had a stunning impact on arriving at the club – he followed up his hat-trick with a goal at Manchester City a week later, and both goals in a 2-2 draw at Fulham in the League Cup, to make it six goals in four games. Sadly his scoring fizzled out after that and he only managed a further four goals in 25 appearances.