Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scotch

Can we stay up?

Ok,the time has come! It's squeaky bum time guys and gals! 7 games left, 7 games to determine what level of football we will be playing next year. So,I've decided to have an in-depth look at our chances. (It beats being productive in work)

Our remaining fixtures are....

Swansea (h)

Burnley (a)

Chelsea (h)

Newcastle (h)

Southampton (h)

Sunderland (a)

QPR (h)

So,I assume that we all agree that Burnley and QPR are must win games. So,let's say we get 6 points there. I don't see us getting anything from Chelsea or Southampton. That leaves Swansea,Newcastle and Sunderland. I think we will prob get about 3 points from those games but let's be conservative and say that we get 1 point,that gives us 7 points from our remaining fixtures, with a total of 32.

QPR remaining games....

Chelsea (h)

West ham (h)

Liverpool (a)

Man city (a)

Newcastle (h)

Leicester (a)

Ok,so we have already assumed that they will lose to us, from the other 5 games, I don't see them getting more than 3/4 points. So, again, being conservative, let's say they get 4. That gives them a total of 30 points.

Burnley remaining games....

Everton (a)

Leicester (h)

West ham (a)

Hull (a)

Stoke (h)

Villa (a)

Again,we're assuming that we will beat them, from the other 5 games, I can see them getting about 4/5 points. If they get the 5, that gives them a total of 31.

Hull have yet to play....

Palace (a)

Liverpool (h)

Arsenal (h)

Burnley (h)

Spurs (a)

Man Utd (h)

I don't see them getting more than 3/4 points from this set of fixtures. 4 would give them a total of 32 points.

So if it DID happen like this, QPR would be bottom with 30, then Burnley on 31, with us and Hull on 32. That would put it to goal difference. Hull are currently 3 goals better off but have a much harder set of games, so it isn't too much of a stretch to think that we would have a better goal ratio come the end of the season.

Conclusion...

I think that 3 wins from our remaining 7 games will

Be enough to keep us up, assuming we beat QPR and Burnley but those 2 wins and a draw could do it if Hull take a tanking or two and we keep all our losses respectable, which we have done all season.

What do you guys think?

I think Sunderland is a bigger game than Burnley in all honesty, probably the biggest game remaining. We don't want to go into the Chelsea or Saints game thinking we don't need a result either

I agree that 3 wins could be enough but 4 has to be the target. All in all we have a decent chance due to the fixture list but the old cliché of one game at a time is important

Going on the average positions of teams that the relegation candidates have to face it is in our own hands.

West Brom - Average position of remaining opposition: Six (quite possibly wont get another point)

Aston Villa - Average position of remaining opposition: 8.3 (seem to be hitting a bit of form)

Hull - Average position of remaining opposition: Eight (really looks like they will struggle)

QPR - Average position of remaining opposition: 10.4 

Burnley - Average position of remaining opposition: 13.8 (I didn't realise there run in was so easy)

Leicester - Average position of remaining opposition: 11.4

I personally believe you're being far too conservative thinking Burnley and QPR won't pick up more points. I see them beating Newcastle, and if we can beat West Ham , they can after that display when Chelsea went there.

As for Burnley, I can see them winning at least 2 of their remaining fixtures. That will put them on 32/33 points.

I think 3 wins and we're safe, 2 and some draws with results going our way as well.  

I think QPR look doomed, then it's between Leicester, Burnley, Hull & Sunderland for the remaining two places.

Our game at Sunderland could well be essentially a playoff final

Points will be picked up by all and will be dropped by all, so it's very much 50/50, but it's in our hands

I think QPR look doomed, then it's between Leicester, Burnley, Hull & Sunderland for the remaining two places.

Points will be picked up by all and will be dropped by all, so it's very much 50/50, but it's in our hands

I think Hull are gubbed too. They don't score enough to get much from a tough set of games. Sunderland are safe for me, a win and a draw from stoke,Southampton,Everton,Us,arsenal and Chelsea would put them on 34 points....

If I was a QPR fan, I'f be saying beat West Ham and Newcastle, then it comes down to Leicester.

If we can win 3 games by that QPR game I think we are okay, if not, that game will be huge, as it might decide who stays up/goes down.

Going on the average positions of teams that the relegation candidates have to face it is in our own hands.

West Brom - Average position of remaining opposition: Six (quite possibly wont get another point)

Aston Villa - Average position of remaining opposition: 8.3 (seem to be hitting a bit of form)

Hull - Average position of remaining opposition: Eight (really looks like they will struggle)

QPR - Average position of remaining opposition: 10.4

Burnley - Average position of remaining opposition: 13.8 (I didn't realise there run in was so easy)

Leicester - Average position of remaining opposition: 11.4

Burnley play more lowly teams but are on the road far more than us and have only won once away from home all season I think. We have the easiest fixtures remaining imo.

I think Sunderland is a bigger game than Burnley in all honesty, probably the biggest game remaining. We don't want to go into the Chelsea or Saints game thinking we don't need a result either

I agree that 3 wins could be enough but 4 has to be the target. All in all we have a decent chance due to the fixture list but the old cliché of one game at a time is important

I couldn't agree more, the Sunderland match is massive.

If we lose then they have a seven point gap on us as things stand and it's highly likely they will finish above us.

It's looking like it will be three from the current bottom five and a if Sunderland finish above us then we have no room for error and are vulnerable to one of the other side having a miraculous end of season run like Sunderland did last season.

A loss to Burnley would put them four points clear with us still having a game in hand so it's not ideal but not defining either.

One things for sure is that Burnley and Sunderland will look at their fixture list and see their home against us as their most important fixture left and a "must win" game for them. 

I don't think QPR looked doomed at all, home fixtures against West Ham and Newcastle are great opportunities for maximum points. Then they play us away last game of the season which isn't a daunting fixture for them and they'll be clearer on the result they will need against us.

Even Hull's fixtures look less daunting now as they have a home game versus Burnley, away games at mid table Palace and a lackluster Tottenham and the rest of them home games against top four sides who may well be secure in their positions by the time they play them.

I think it;s the old cliches of taking one game at a time and every game a cup final. 

I couldn't agree more, the Sunderland match is massive.

If we lose then they have a seven point gap on us as things stand and it's highly likely they will finish above us.

It's looking like it will be three from the current bottom five and a if Sunderland finish above us then we have no room for error and are vulnerable to one of the other side having a miraculous end of season run like Sunderland did last season.

A loss to Burnley would put them four points clear with us still having a game in hand so it's not ideal but not defining either.

One things for sure is that Burnley and Sunderland will look at their fixture list and see their home against us as their most important fixture left and a "must win" game for them. 

Whatever we say about them, they are saying about us being a must win, guaranteed 3 points. 

Play hard, score as many points as we can, add them up, see where we are at the end of the season.

All we can do, one game at a time.

Hull, Sunderland, QPR and Burnley will all pull some freak results out the bag at some point in the run in, its just the way it is. And with the situation the way it is, the teams around us will target us as huge games too.

We can do it though. We are in with a fighting chance.

The Chelsea game for me has to be a damage limitation exercise. It is highly unlikely we will beat them and we desperately don't want them to **** our goal difference up.

You're probably right, but QPR could have got a result against them. Stranger things have happened.

I can see us doing ok against Chelsea. Am I right in assuming Drogba will be there only fit striker when they come to us? If we attack them and manage to keep Hazard quiet, as QPR showed, they're beatable, had a handful of really good chances, mistake by the keeper at the end cost them, without that they'd of got a point, add to that we performed very well when we went to the Bridge earlier in the season. Especially favourable for us as they'll of as good as won the league when they come to us.

I think we will stay up.

I didn't after the Hull game.

But Pearson HAS changed it up since, albeit mid way through games. And this HAS made a difference.

And I've always liked our run in vis a vis the others.

Personally, I see Hull, Burnley and Sunderland in real danger.

Going through the predictor, even going with the lower end of my expectations, I don't get us finishing below 16th. But that's based on us going for games like we have been and Pearson being as responsive as he was at West Brom. I think we'll do it.

The Chelsea game for me has to be a damage limitation exercise. It is highly unlikely we will beat them and we desperately don't want them to **** our goal difference up.

Not necessarily. They were absolutely woeful on Sunday and won thanks to an unforced Rob Green error. They've not been impressive at all, of late so we've got half a chance at giving them a game. It's not like we've been hammered yet this season anyway. Approach it sensibly but not over-conservatively. 

Archived