Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Charl91

Star Wars Battlefront

If you haven't tried it yet then try the heroes v villains mode. 6 v 6, 3 people on each side play as the main characters and the other 3 are general soldiers. Winner is the team who kill the 3 main characters first. You play until one team wins 5 games and they're quick and frantic battles.

This. I could and probably will be playing this mode until they take the servers down.

Obviously new heroes and villains will be added in the upcoming months and I'm wondering how much they will play around with timelines to achieve this. Struggling to think of any other villains from the original timeline, as far as combat goes. Chewbacca is the obvious hero (Obi-Wan). Yoda is an obvious candidate, but how do you balance him and make it fair given he'll be so much smaller than everyone else, therefore harder to shoot/hit? Maybe make his health deplete faster? I dunno. All I know is for the sake of fun and badassery Darth Maul is a must, they'd be daft not to include him even if it does seem out of place.

The general gunplay is ok, I've not played a competitive FPS other than Counter Strike for a very, very long time so it feels great to me, just the noise of it (something DICE have always been the absolute lead designers in IMO in any genre, that I've come across anyway) is enough to keep me coming back.

I'm going to be an absolute hypocrite and get the season pass as well. I just can't help it.

Anyone tried the Battle of Jakku DLC? Any good?

No, I've had two evenings on it with a couple of mates and completed all the missions (which we're a huge disappointment) apart from that not touched it since purchase. Rather underwhelming game I think but I'll hold on to it till Feb see if my opinion changes.

• 1 year later...

SW BF 2 open beta available for all today.

Had a quick blast, star card overhaul seems good more variety and customisation/crafting options, different classes of troops add variety, gameplay is very similar but you have to earn battle points to purchase heroes and vehicles and support classes rather than as pick ups. You can pick up certain weapons as part of the campaign but so far I haven't come across a thermal imploded.

Anyone else playing?

• 1 month later...

Anyone else seen the shitstorm about this game? EA decided to make everyone grind for the heroes, such as 40 hours for Darth Vader - OR you can pay a fee to unlock them straight the way. Such a shitty greedy move along with all their other shitty microtransactions. 

1 minute ago, lgfualol said:

Anyone else seen the shitstorm about this game? EA decided to make everyone grind for the heroes, such as 40 hours for Darth Vader - OR you can pay a fee to unlock them straight the way. Such a shitty greedy move along with all their other shitty microtransactions. 

Been told they've fixed this now. Dropped the grind time by 75% or something like that. 

Still don't think I'll buy the game though. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Been told they've fixed this now. Dropped the grind time by 75% or something like that. 

A (disgruntled) guy within EA PR team came onto the Battlefront Reddit page.

He said the 'fixes' are a ploy EA often use to make outrage outdated, they're extremely minimal and still encourages pay-to-win but they can rely on smart alecs within the playerbase to shout others down as moaning about old news when they point it out and point to the fact EA made 'fixes' however weak they are. 

Personally, any one who lines the pocket of a company whose CEO said this:

"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."

"A consumer gets engaged in a property, they might spend 10,20,30,50 hours on the game and then when they're deep into the game they're well invested in in. We're not gouging, but we're charging and at that point in time the commitment can be pretty high."

"But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."

Deserves what they're getting when it comes to a shite product, whether it be FIFA, Battlefront or anything else.

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

A (disgruntled) guy within EA PR team came onto the Battlefront Reddit page.

He said the 'fixes' are a ploy EA often use to make outrage outdated, they're extremely minimal and still encourages pay-to-win but they can rely on smart alecs within the playerbase to shout others down as moaning about old news when they point it out and point to the fact EA made 'fixes' however weak they are. 

Personally, any one who lines the pocket of a company whose CEO said this:

"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."

"A consumer gets engaged in a property, they might spend 10,20,30,50 hours on the game and then when they're deep into the game they're well invested in in. We're not gouging, but we're charging and at that point in time the commitment can be pretty high."

"But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."

Deserves what they're getting when it comes to a shite product, whether it be FIFA, Battlefront or anything else.

Did you see the post EA community people posted on that subreddit? - 650,000 karma. I think the last record was 22k. ****ing hell. 

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

They've sneakily tried to get around it.

Basically they've got a points system. You either buy or earn them.

The points needed to unlock Darth Vader (say they were originally 20k - I don't know the actual amount) have been reduced to 5k.

However the rewards for completing missions/challenges have also been reduced by 75% meaning it'll still take ages.

I bought  this on pre-order, but am starting to regret it now, I knew EA where shysters, but it seems they've decided to take the piss on this one.

I will reserve judgement when I can actually play it, I thought they  had modified the play to win aspect and I don't mind unlocking rewards, it keeps games fresh longer, but I just hate pay to win.

6 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I bought  this on pre-order, but am starting to regret it now, I knew EA where shysters, but it seems they've decided to take the piss on this one.

I will reserve judgement when I can actually play it, I thought they  had modified the play to win aspect and I don't mind unlocking rewards, it keeps games fresh longer, but I just hate pay to win.

They modified it to make it look like it wasn't pay-to-win, the pay-to win system is their business model. Unless people vote with their wallets it doesn't matter how much backlash they receive they'll continue pursuing it and making it worse and worse until they can no longer push.

If you hate pay-to-win systems, the best thing you can do is cancel your preorder.

8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

They modified it to make it look like it wasn't pay-to-win, the pay-to win system is their business model. Unless people vote with their wallets it doesn't matter how much backlash they receive they'll continue pursuing it and making it worse and worse until they can no longer push.

If you hate pay-to-win systems, the best thing you can do is cancel your preorder.

But I love star wars and shooting people...

Kinda watching from a distance, have had no interest in this game really.

It's amazing just what EA expect to get away with these days, it's nothing new though. The clear business model over the last 5 years or so has been to shoehorn money milking schemes into their games - FIFA with UT and Americans having NBA & NFL UT iterations now with the same system, whilst the games themselves have barely moved forwards at all in terms of features or dynamics over the same time - so the FIFA players movement now seems floatier in play, they tinkered penalties and the crowds look better . . . and that's £40+ a year a pop for starters. Altogether they're making billions whilst just saying they're happy to be making their market more 'sustainable'.

Another side of their game is rotation of franchises. EA are behind Titanfall, Battlefield & Battlefront which are all shooty games with identikit game engines and money milking systems, difference is they release apart from each other and by the time ones gone stale one of the others is about to drop.

Can't blame them really. The consumer demographic hasn't shown to be the sharpest but even here where there has been a fuss kicked up millions of Star Wars fans will lap all this up with glee and EA stays well in the game

As I bought it on Pre-order I got the game today and the stuff about Darth Vader taking 10 hours to unlock is rubbish, I've played 1 and a half games and earned over 2000 credits (game play + challenges) + the bonus credits you start with, I'm on over 7000 and you need 15000 to unlock I will probably have enough to unlock him tonight.

There is clearly a pay to win element, buying crystals/credits, but it isn't stacked against people who don't play to win, and it encourages you to use all the weapons complete the challenges earn more credits get more unlocks. Some people can pay to do all that, but I don't see the point. The exception would be someone late to the party who buys it on sale and then can use the money he has saved in the sale to play catch up as everyone else has spent a few weeks/months playing and upgrading/unlocking mods and weapons.

I will let you know after I've played a bit more, but so far not disappointed.

On 14/11/2017 at 09:48, lgfualol said:

I've just unlocked Vader, didn't took about 3 hours, the thing with games like this there will always be players that are better than you whether they have played more or paid more as long as the sides are balanced it doesn't really detract from your enjoyment.

Edited by Captain...

10 hours ago, Captain... said:

I've just unlocked Vader, didn't took about 3 hours, the thing with games like this there will always be players that are better than you whether they have played more or paid more as long as the sides are balanced it doesn't really detract from your enjoyment.

Of course it matters. Why would you be happy because someone is better than you because they've got their wallet out and made EA rich when you've paid £40-50 for the games same as them.

It's an absloutley rancid and deplorable model, gamers should be opposing but sadly they are failing to as a collective.

• Like 2

I'm glad they have made some changes to the game.  However, it still takes 4500 hours or $2100 to collect everything. 

Also heard there are credit cooldowns when playing arcade - EA are pretty much just going to end up releasing games with the same models as mobile games.

Edited by lgfualol

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Of course it matters. Why would you be happy because someone is better than you because they've got their wallet out and made EA rich when you've paid £40-50 for the games same as them.

It's an absloutley rancid and deplorable model, gamers should be opposing but sadly they are failing to as a collective.

You are right, it is deplorable and I will never and have never paid for micro-transactions on anything, my point was that if some people do it doesn't spoil the game. It's a team battle so as long as teams are balanced in terms of levels then it is down to ability rather than how  much money has been spent.

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

I'm glad they have made some changes to the game.  However, it still takes 4500 hours or $2100 to collect everything. 

Also heard there are credit cooldowns when playing arcade - EA are pretty much just going to end up releasing games with the same models as mobile games.

But you don't need to collect everything, you probably also get duplicates, I like the reward of unlocking things for playing well, and trying different weapons, most weapons are tweaks along a theme rather than being able to pay to unlock the super death ray that kills everyone instantly, and allows for different playing styles.

I'm not sure how the 4500 hours of gaming has been calculated, but you get free crates every day, you unlock crates and credits for completing challenges, you get more credits to unlock things the better you play and there are always double credits, triple credits weekends.

Not played the arcade, so not sure what effect credit cooldowns have.

I'm not apologising for EA here, the pay to win model sucks, but it will have very little impact on my enjoyment of the game and shouldn't stop people buying it if they want to. Now the gameplay on the other hand...

To be honest I'm disappointed, I've mainly played the galactic campaigns, and they are big, but all the bloody same; transport some vehicles/hit a couple of checkpoints, heavily weighted to favour one team, fall back/advance to smaller space, ends in a condensed battle around one objective with 40 people chucking grenades everywhere and creating a death factory. Not played them all yet, but pretty samey so far. It also still suffers the same problem with being caught on random bits of scenery and being unable to climb up/over fairly small obstacles. When you compare it to Uncharted or TLOU where you interact seamlessly with the environment it feels very clunky.

Not played the Campaign yet.   

Edited by Captain...

28 minutes ago, Captain... said:

You are right, it is deplorable and I will never and have never paid for micro-transactions on anything, my point was that if some people do it doesn't spoil the game. It's a team battle so as long as teams are balanced in terms of levels then it is down to ability rather than how  much money has been spent.

But you don't need to collect everything, you probably also get duplicates, I like the reward of unlocking things for playing well, and trying different weapons, most weapons are tweaks along a theme rather than being able to pay to unlock the super death ray that kills everyone instantly, and allows for different playing styles.

I'm not sure how the 4500 hours of gaming has been calculated, but you get free crates every day, you unlock crates and credits for completing challenges, you get more credits to unlock things the better you play and there are always double credits, triple credits weekends.

Not played the arcade, so not sure what effect credit cooldowns have.

I'm not apologising for EA here, the pay to win model sucks, but it will have very little impact on my enjoyment of the game and shouldn't stop people buying it if they want to. Now the gameplay on the other hand...

To be honest I'm disappointed, I've mainly played the galactic campaigns, and they are big, but all the bloody same; transport some vehicles/hit a couple of checkpoints, heavily weighted to favour one team, fall back/advance to smaller space, ends in a condensed battle around one objective with 40 people chucking grenades everywhere and creating a death factory. Not played them all yet, but pretty samey so far. It also still suffers the same problem with being caught on random bits of scenery and being unable to climb up/over fairly small obstacles. When you compare it to Uncharted or TLOU where you interact seamlessly with the environment it feels very clunky.

Not played the Campaign yet.   

The problem is the purchase of the game alone is enough for them to keep putting them in, stuff that's purely cosmetic, fine, pay to win is very, very dangerous. It amazes me how much they get away with Ultimate Team, think they actually make considerably more on that then game sales yet no one bats an eye lid.

I appreciate it  is difficult to avoid P2W models completely these days I've bought Forza recently and I guess you could argue that has a P2W element but EA are the worst for it, so blatant it's funny.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

14 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

The problem is the purchase of the game alone is enough for them to keep putting them in, stuff that's purely cosmetic, fine, pay to win is very, very dangerous. It amazes me how much they get away with Ultimate Team, think they actually make considerably more on that then game sales yet no one bats an eye lid.

I appreciate it  is difficult to avoid P2W models completely these days I've bought Forza recently and I guess you could argue that has a P2W element but EA are the worst for it, so blatant it's funny.

Yeah, EA are bad, I gave up on FIFA a few years ago, but on first play through SW BF 2 is nowhere near as bad for pay to win as made out, just a shame the game isn't better.

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Also heard there are credit cooldowns when playing arcade

Just been reading around this and I did laugh at this quote:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-dev-is-incredibly-saddened/1100-6454992/

Another topic that came up during the Battlefront 2 AMA was that of the credit cap for the game's Arcade mode. Keslin, Battlefront 2's producer, said this cap was put in place because otherwise, players could use the Arcade mode as a means to grind for credits, which they could then in turn use for multiplayer to potentially gain an advantage. As with Battlefront 2's other elements, Keslin promised that DICE will continually look at data and "make adjustments to make things as balanced as possible."

Heaven forbid that players grind for credits to get an advantage, when they can just buy them...

• Like 2

Been blown all out of proportion. They dropped the credits needed by 75% and obviously this was going to happen. They're giving everyone free content updates so it doesn't divide the community. They're a business so obviously they were going to find a way to milk money from the game. Not sure what people expect.