Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

East Midlands Rivalries - do you miss them?

They seemed to care enough to comment in vast amounts when we languishing at the bottom of the table.

When we got promoted both Derby and Forest fans said we will come straight back down, yet when we survived you don't hear a peep out of them, I read on some site a forest fan saying they would get back to where a club their size belongs.

I did laugh, delusional is not the word, they won two European cups over 30 years ago (a great achievement yes) and will never ever get anywhere near that again but to hear them talk they still think they're a massive club. Oh they won the league early on last season, I forgot and Derby had it sewn up towards the end.

Also that tin pot thing they play for every derby day, what's that all about, it's Sunday league stuff for kids playing for cups.

If Forest and Derby play for the Brian Clough trophy,could we play Cov for the Micky Adams trophy.

Or Frank Moussa

After a couple more seasons in the prem we will have new and better rivalries to look forward too

Going by this season I can see the main rivalries being Villa and Stoke

Derby or Forest have never been a rival as far as i'm concerned.

Because of my location it's Coventry I have a rivally with, because of their demise the minority of fans that there were has become even less and almost non-existant I now see alot of Villa fans and boy they are arseholes. Delusions Of Granduer is the perfect way of summing them up.

I do work with a few Forest fans though and I seem to get more of a bite out of them now we're in different leagues than when we were in the same league, they seem to get even more pissed off - especially because of our great escape this year and even if we do lose/go through a bad spell the standard reply of 'But which league are we in? And which league are you in?' get's a bite, the fact they were also losing (In a lower league) meant they looked even more of an idiot. Me claiming I genuinely don't give a fook about Forest (Which I don't) or what they do also winds them up abit - they have the problem with me, not the other way round. They wind themselves up trying to wind me up so half the job is done.

In answer to your question no.

Bottom line is - no one really hates us enough and we've always been a bit excluded in the whole 'local rivalry' thing. Forest and Derby are each others' rivals and Cov see Villa as theirs. So we're a bit lost and it's always pissed me off a bit that we've never had a true rivalry like Sunderland/Newcastle or Arsenal/Spurs.

After a couple more seasons in the prem we will have new and better rivalries to look forward too

I think so too.

Stoke and Villa are probably the most likely candidates, medium term we could be on around about a similar level if we stay in this division a few seasons.

Bottom line is - no one really hates us enough and we've always been a bit excluded in the whole 'local rivalry' thing. Forest and Derby are each others' rivals and Cov see Villa as theirs. So we're a bit lost and it's always pissed me off a bit that we've never had a true rivalry like Sunderland/Newcastle or Arsenal/Spurs.

I feel a bit like this. As far as we're concerned where you're from in the county tends to dictate who you consider our rivals.

I grew up in Co'ville and It wasn't until I started coming on these type of messageboards that I realised there was any feelings towards Cov at all. I'd been a few away games at Highfield Road in the 80's and just never realised there was anything there. It's always been about Forest for me, but my formative years were spent when they were succesful and I had to put up with a number of friends who's parents all jumped on Cloughies bandwagon.

Living in Nottingham, with the in laws being huge Forest fans, I do miss the rivalry, but its just as much fun to dismiss them as a 'lower league' team. That winds them up more than you can possibly imagine.

I did take the father in law to the QPR game though, and he thoroughly enjoyed himself.

Hell yes. 

I don't feel any rivalry with Villa and don't see why we should start making up rivalries. Never really felt it towards Coventry either.

Ngl i do quite miss derby and forest now.

If you lived in South Leics,which I presume you don't,you would think differently.

Never thought about this tbf. Maybe the feeling for coventry is stronger in south leics but universally among leicester supporters that fixture will never be as heated as derby/forest

It's strongest with forest for me, then derby closely afterwards. Nottingham just because they are the biggest city in the EM, and let's face the truth forest are the biggest club in our part of england

If you lived in South Leics,which I presume you don't,you would think differently.

I do, and I don't think differently.

Coventry and Villa aren't even East Midlands?

And the rivalry I knew, as a youth, was always with the sheep shaggers and the Florists.

We didn't care two hoots about the West Mids clubs.

I feel a bit like this. As far as we're concerned where you're from in the county tends to dictate who you consider our rivals.

I grew up in Co'ville and It wasn't until I started coming on these type of messageboards that I realised there was any feelings towards Cov at all. I'd been a few away games at Highfield Road in the 80's and just never realised there was anything there. It's always been about Forest for me, but my formative years were spent when they were succesful and I had to put up with a number of friends who's parents all jumped on Cloughies bandwagon.

Can you remember when Leicester fans went on the pitch at Highfield rd in the 80s,or when the time Ron Atkinson took over Cov and Leicester fans smashed 2 pubs up pre-match in there town centre,even recently in Earlsdon.. When Cov and Leicester thugs arranged to meet.

The rivalry has always been there,some Leicester fans just won't accept it regardless.

I do, and I don't think differently.

Coventry and Villa aren't even East Midlands?

And the rivalry I knew, as a youth, was always with the sheep shaggers and the Florists.

We didn't care two hoots about the West Mids clubs.

Coventry is no further away than Nottingham,so it's irrelevant whether it's East or West Midlands,Derby for me is the most meaningless rivalry out of the three.

Coventry is no further away than Nottingham,so it's irrelevant whether it's East or West Midlands,Derby for me is the most meaningless rivalry out of the three.

Mate, all I'm saying is being brought up in the days mainly of Brian Little and then MON, me and my mates, all season ticket holders for years, never considered Villa, Cov, Brum etc as being rival clubs. The big games were always the East Midlands games and ESPECIALLY Derby at that time.

We didn't care about Cov at all. Maybe strange, given its prob the closest of the lot?

But if you did, fine. No skin off my nose.

I'd agree with this. Cov and Forest always had more needle, I can remember trouble on more than one occasion. I still maintain Derby isn't a rival. I don't even see them as East Midlands. And I didn't grow up anywhere in the midlands so I'd like to think I'm reasonably objective.

Mate, all I'm saying is being brought up in the days mainly of Brian Little and then MON, me and my mates, all season ticket holders for years, never considered Villa, Cov, Brum etc as being rival clubs. The big games were always the East Midlands games and ESPECIALLY Derby at that time.

We didn't care about Cov at all. Maybe strange, given its prob the closest of the lot?

But if you did, fine. No skin off my nose.

I'd say games vs Derby were big then because we were in similar positions. Cov were established Premiership.

I'd agree with this. Cov and Forest always had more needle, I can remember trouble on more than one occasion. I still maintain Derby isn't a rival. I don't even see them as East Midlands. And I didn't grow up anywhere in the midlands so I'd like to think I'm reasonably objective.

I'd say games vs Derby were big then because we were in similar positions. Cov were established Premiership.

You could be right mate. I have no idea of the origin of the rivalry we had. But I do remember tons of songs about Derby. Eg. There's a circus in the town...

I can't recollect any such songs about Cov? I bet there were but I can't recall them, other than Cov scum.

Basically everyone has their own reasons to dislike particular teams. I suppose it comes down to if the dislike is reciprocal. I have family that support Forest and they love to see us lose, although they won't admit it. I really doubt Derby give much of a shit about us. 

And Cov fans hate us, weirdly. Although I think Cov fans hate everyone and everything.

Archived