Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

East Midlands Rivalries - do you miss them?

Basically everyone has their own reasons to dislike particular teams. I suppose it comes down to if the dislike is reciprocal. I have family that support Forest and they love to see us lose, although they won't admit it. I really doubt Derby give much of a shit about us.

And Cov fans hate us, weirdly. Although I think Cov fans hate everyone and everything.

lol

I genuinely know lots of Derby fans who can't stand City. Again, all of a similar age to myself.

Mate, all I'm saying is being brought up in the days mainly of Brian Little and then MON, me and my mates, all season ticket holders for years, never considered Villa, Cov, Brum etc as being rival clubs. The big games were always the East Midlands games and ESPECIALLY Derby at that time.

We didn't care about Cov at all. Maybe strange, given its prob the closest of the lot?

But if you did, fine. No skin off my nose.

As we don't have a proper rival,Leicester fans will always differ on which team they hate the most,as you said,you grew up hating Derby and Forest,I grew up hating Cov.

The Forest and Derby rivalry is dying a death,especially the Derby one

If you lived in South Leics,which I presume you don't,you would think differently.

I agree, I live in Lutterworth which is 13 miles from both Coventry and Leicester so I've always hated Cov more than anyone especially when they stayed up year after year.

I've never hated Forest that much because I used to like Brian Clough plus Nottingham and Derby are 40 miles away. Geographically MK Dons is nearer.

It would suit Leicester and Coventry to be rivals as Forest & Derby are main rivals and Coventry's are Villa whose main rivals are Birmingham.

There is some needle around the Forest matches, not the biggest rivalry of course but there seems to be an edge compared to other matches.

Derby isn't really a great match apart from the results, fairly low crowds on both sides and they don't bring many any more.

It seems that one's location within the county largely determines which of the clubs nearest to Leicester you dislike most.

Supporters from the south-west Lutterworth/Hinckley area can't stand Coventry. Those in the north-west Coalville/Shepshed sector have got it in for Derby and those from the north east Loughborough/Melton hate Forest. Although I also think it matters when you started supporting City. We hardly played Derby at all in the 1980s for instance, it was all Coventry and Forest then, and the Derby rivalry was only renewed in the Brian Little years.

It would be interesting to know if there are any City supporters from east Leicestershire/Rutland who regard Peterborough United as the real enemy, or any from the Market Harborough area for whom Northampton Town are the only rivals worth worrying about.

Do I miss rivalries? No, because we don't have a single big rivalry.

As LCFC fans we have our own individual reasons for disliking certain teams as others have noted, but we should not worry about seeking a single exclusive rivalry. And we certainly shouldn't be trying to get into the Derby/Forest love in.

Derby and Forest maintain their rivalry for mutual need as it makes them feel big about themselves. It somehow makes them feel more important than they actually are when all it reveals is a small club mentality. Can you imagine Man Utd fans singing to Man City fans that they only care about Liverpool? or Liverpool saying to Everton that they only care about Man Utd.

In my experience the desperation of Forest fans to tell people that they only care about Derby far exceeds any desperation LCFC fans have to get in on the act. Why? Because it reminds them of when the fixture actually meant something and covers up their insecurities. It's now just a perennial lower league fixture.

For me we shouldn't seek manufactured rivalries.

Believe me continued success by us will bring all the resentment and rivalry we need. That should be our ambition.

Never thought about this tbf. Maybe the feeling for coventry is stronger in south leics but universally among leicester supporters that fixture will never be as heated as derby/forest

It's strongest with forest for me, then derby closely afterwards. Nottingham just because they are the biggest city in the EM, and let's face the truth forest are the biggest club in our part of england

No way are Forest the biggest club in the East Midlands anymore. For the last 20 years we have done much better then Forest, or Derby for that matter in terms of trophies won and promotions. Forest were the biggest club in our region for a large period but I think nowadays we should at least be considered as equals, and Derby too. I reckon we are three very similar sized clubs.

Never thought about this tbf. Maybe the feeling for coventry is stronger in south leics but universally among leicester supporters that fixture will never be as heated as derby/forest

It's strongest with forest for me, then derby closely afterwards. Nottingham just because they are the biggest city in the EM, and let's face the truth forest are the biggest club in our part of england

Leicester is the biggest city in the EM...not nottingham

Maybe this is controversial I don't know or maybe the fact I don't come from Leicester clouds my judgement but to me we don't really have a big derby to speak of,

We are a one club city, so the real local derby like you see in London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool etc won't ever happen to us. 

Even our Geography is a bit lonely. We have the East Midlands derby's but Derby and Forest have each other and will always prioritise each other, we're a third wheel. I don't give a shit that we are but it's a fact. There's 15miles between Derby and Forest compared with 28miles between us and Forest.

Then you have Coventry who are as an insignificant a football club as humanly possible. They're our closest geographical rival but they really don't count,

I don't deny that if either Derby or Forest were in the same division as us (without the other) it'd be their biggest game but as long as they have each other in the 2nd tier it won't be,

To answer the question, no I don't. I love the fact we're 'East Midlands' on PES and in the Premier League whilst they languish in the Championship

Don't really care and have never been massively bothered.

Like Col, my main football-watching period started when we really disliked Derby, and so I still do, even though there is no great reason to. 

Not that bothered about anyone else, especially the West Midlands' clubs.  I do genuinely feel sad for "proper" Cov fans, because what has happened to their club is horrendous and could happen to anyone, and there will be thousands of fans for whom it's brought great sadness (at risk of sounding soppy and over the top, but just imagine if it happened to us?).

There are other clubs I hate, most for ridiculous, unwarranted and completely irrational reasons (or simply that they pee'd me off at some point and I didn't like it e.g. Burnley, Watford) but in terms of genuine rivalries, no, there are no great ones and certainlly none that I miss.

Don't really care and have never been massively bothered.

Like Col, my main football-watching period started when we really disliked Derby, and so I still do, even though there is no great reason to. 

Not that bothered about anyone else, especially the West Midlands' clubs.  I do genuinely feel sad for "proper" Cov fans, because what has happened to their club is horrendous and could happen to anyone, and there will be thousands of fans for whom it's brought great sadness (at risk of sounding soppy and over the top, but just imagine if it happened to us?).

There are other clubs I hate, most for ridiculous, unwarranted and completely irrational reasons (or simply that they pee'd me off at some point and I didn't like it e.g. Burnley, Watford) but in terms of genuine rivalries, no, there are no great ones and certainlly none that I miss.

you wouldn't if you had had years of the pricks harping on when they were a league above us! wankers got what they deserved, truly hoping they continue to drop through the leagues

Since I was 7 I've lived in either Hinckley or Earl Shilton. My stepdad is from the area and hated Cov more than any other club. My dad is from Leicester and sees Forest as more of a rival, so it's obviously more location based. As I loved in South-West Leicestershire and predominantly went football with my stepdad I've followed in seeing Cov as more of a rival. My first away game was Cov 2009/10 (I think?), ended 1-1 with Waghorn scoring if I remember correctly.

Anyway although it would be nice to hit the lows of League Two, I hope they eventually get their sh!t together for us to give them a beating. Although they see us as 'lesser rivals' behind Villa I've never heard a Cov fan actively play down our rivalry like the bellends at Forest or Derby. So it's the M69 Derby all day for me :)

Archived