Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ceredigion

East Midlands Rivalries - do you miss them?

I wanted Derby to beat QPR in the play off final. 

It's a shame we haven't got a massive rivalry though. I'm talking something like Villa/Birmingham.

I just see it as another 'quirk' of our club. A lot of clubs try to build rivalries into something they're not. There are only a few huge ones in England, Liverpool vs United and Wednesday Shef Utd spring to mind as being really passionate. A lot of the rest are just Sky Super Sunday bullshit and teenage wannabe hoolies.

Bet the sports team at East Midlands Today, who seem anti-Leicester most of the time, are frustrated that their favourite teams in Derby and Forest keep messing up their top-flight ambitions.

I miss them a bit as there are loads of Forest and Derby fans where I live. Not overly fussed though.

That 3-3 against Derby in the early 90's was a great night. There have been a few cracking matches with great atmospheres against both.

you wouldn't if you had had years of the pricks harping on when they were a league above us! wankers got what they deserved, truly hoping they continue to drop through the leagues

Good man, Gerard likes this post.  :D

Coventry are hated more then Derby by quite a few actually

It

I think it depends on your age. Until I was 25/26, I didn't really know derby county existed. They had always played in a lower division. Also Forest had been rubbish for 15-20 years.

The only team of any standing in my early years was Coventry. Hence the rivalry because no one else was available. A lot of people my age (and possibly living south of the county) will always have a special dislike for Cov.

I celebrate my third 21st birthday soon, but my dislike for Cov (aka the vermin) has really diminished!

I just wish, all the big midland teams, plus the wanna be's, could be in the PL.

Sunderland-Newcastle, Livpl-Everton, the Sheffield teams, Manchesters duo,and all those bloody london teams, need a rest from the Pl.

Though I like Palace, so they can stay, with Soton, and Swansea.

Now fantasize and chose your teams for the PL!!!

Right from a youngster forest have been the main rival, and it was reciprocated, since the 90's however we have been a much better run and successful club, more ambitious and forward looking even in our relegation season to league one we were attempting to move forward somewhat disastrously however, yet we bounced straight back. During the 90`s it was more of a three way thing, and for a period derby was the fiercest rivalry, but as we progressed under Little and O'Neill we left them behind and their incestrious love in began, even during our shit period they were more shit, highlighting the inferiority they feel towards us. Do I care what they think? No, why would I care about what I hate. As for missing the local matches, not at all, I couldn't be happier if they languished at the bottom of league 2 and we never played them again.

I still find it highly amusing they actually have this pathetic cup competition between themselves, when I first heard about it from my Derby supporting manager I think even he found it a bit cringe worthy.

Then again both of them have been so shite for such a long time now they need some excitement during the season.

I still find it highly amusing they actually have this pathetic cup competition between themselves, when I first heard about it from my Derby supporting manager I think even he found it a bit cringe worthy.

Then again both of them have been so shite for such a long time now they need some excitement during the season.

Well, let's not pretend we haven't been **** for the better part of five years not so long ago.

Guest Foxin_mad

The reason recent games have been shit imo is because $ky have televised them all and moved them a stupid day or time always wrecks it. The best games were Saturday a 3PM with plenty of pub time.

Bet the sports team at East Midlands Today, who seem anti-Leicester most of the time, are frustrated that their favourite teams in Derby and Forest keep messing up their top-flight ambitions.

What is the coverage like nowadays? Are we the prominent team covered or is it fairly equal?

Maybe this is controversial I don't know or maybe the fact I don't come from Leicester clouds my judgement but to me we don't really have a big derby to speak of,

We are a one club city, so the real local derby like you see in London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Liverpool etc won't ever happen to us. 

Even our Geography is a bit lonely. We have the East Midlands derby's but Derby and Forest have each other and will always prioritise each other, we're a third wheel. I don't give a shit that we are but it's a fact. There's 15miles between Derby and Forest compared with 28miles between us and Forest.

Then you have Coventry who are as an insignificant a football club as humanly possible. They're our closest geographical rival but they really don't count,

I don't deny that if either Derby or Forest were in the same division as us (without the other) it'd be their biggest game but as long as they have each other in the 2nd tier it won't be,

To answer the question, no I don't. I love the fact we're 'East Midlands' on PES and in the Premier League whilst they languish in the Championship

The fact is though you'd never be saying this if Forest and Derby fans haven't been telling you that for the last 20 years. Some Leicester fans need to be a bit more individual and stop listening to what they're telling us as if they're some sort of oracle. Is it not a big game for us? Of course it is. Do you not hear a loud collective cheer at our home games when it's revealed one of them has lost? Of course you do.

I get that they hype the game between them up to massive proportions but that doesn't actually make it a proper rivalry any more than our games with them. The idea that they base it on sensible reasons is frankly laughable.

Geography shmography, Derby were such a non-entity before the 70s that it's ridiculous to suggest their 'rivalry' is any older than that. Let's be honest, the hype of their matches together is based on one man and nothing more. It's two average sized clubs trying to remind everyone twice a season that they were once relevant for a short time. And that is why they can't trully 'hate' each other. It's all forced for their benefit.

If they don't want to make a big deal about us, that's fine. Their obsession with telling us they don't care is their way of trying to tell us they're bigger than us. And your use of the term 'third wheel' is almost an acceptance of that. We're not a third wheel, we're a fvcking stretch limo. Fvck them. They're nobodies.

It's not like they had a massive rivalry and then we came along and tried to make one out of nothing. That's more like what Derby did, really. If anyone's a third wheel, it's them.

So let them say/think what they like, but don't confuse how they feel with how we feel. It would be more deluded than anything to suggest that the majority of Leicester fans at least don't hate them and enjoy beating them far more than most clubs.

I've always wondered why Midland clubs playing each other are "derbies" and yet say Newcastle v Livertool aren't classed as northern derbies. Anyway what Forest and Derby do or say doesn't bother me, it's just a pity Loughborough doesn't have a top flight team, though that could test my loyalties!!!

I don't feel that Derby or Forest are real rivals. Whenever we played them, it did not feel like a proper rivalry. I think Coventry are more of our rivals even though geographically we are as close. Probably because for a long period of time, we played them more than others. But with their recent demise, I don't see them in the same light. I don't care that we don't have any rivals, all I know is that we are the best in the East Midlands at the moment. I'd rather us be like Manchester United having rivalries like Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. Rivalries do not have to be geographic. 

I'd love to have Forest, Derby and Cov back in the top division with us. There is nothing better than beating them in the league.

I've always wondered why Midland clubs playing each other are "derbies" and yet say Newcastle v Livertool aren't classed as northern derbies. Anyway what Forest and Derby do or say doesn't bother me, it's just a pity Loughborough doesn't have a top flight team, though that could test my loyalties!!!

or Hinckley..

When I become a billionaire, I'll turn Loughborough into a PL team, so we can have a real rivalry! Don't worry, when I'm a billionaire I'll be able to afford it and  I'll probably use Forest as a feeder club too. lol 

Archived