Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Mass Effect Andromeda

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I still haven't genuinely come across any bugs at all.  What I would agree on with these critics though is the amount of side quests you literally have to wade through in order to find something really worthwhile that's as enjoyable as everything else.  There's too much fetch and carry.  Clearing this and that, getting rid of map notifications, it's all a bit too like an Assassins Creed checklist do this, do that, now do this and that.  Felt like this on Voeld.  You collect the side quests, do them, then more pop up in the area you just cleared.  You settle the base, then you get more.  And so on and so on.  I have the two best side missions left to clear, the stronghold as you have mentioned and I stumbled on the architect mission last night and decided to backtrack on that for now.  Level 21 and still struggling to find a decent rifle, using the original I had from the start.  Collecting these caches isn't helping either.  Any tips?  Need a decent weapon or two.  And the weight is an issue holding three types of weapon at once.

The vaults are great, the monoliths are enjoyable to clear, the combat is superb, the exploration is good, there's very little to fault.  However, adopting a less is more approach to some of these side quests would have benefitted the game in the long run imo.  Too much content can be a bad thing but I still can't put it down 26 hours in.

The problem is, most big games suffer from the same thing. I think the annoying thing here is that some of the more interesting missions seem hidden away. I haven't found things too fetchy simply because there are a lot of quests where you stumble on the objective from exploring but would agree that in certain instances, less would be more.

As for weapons, there's quite a few different skills that drop the weight of guns. Passive trees are the best thing to do early on. I would try and get the N7 Crusader shotgun and a good sniper. Powers and melee mean that ammo's not such a big issue so assault rifles aren't great. The Valkyrie is meant to be a decent one though.

3 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I avoided it without coming across it.  Found out about it by chance!

Its still there though isn't. No good claiming the game isnt that buggy just because you haven't come across one when you know of one game breaking bug.

3 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

You played it Manwell? I didn't say the game of the year, I said a game of the year. You realise they give a lot of those out? Ignoring what? I said if it didn't have all the bugs and a better story. So yeah, I was believable. And I'm hardly gushing about it. I've critiqued it previously but I've now played it for a few weeks and think it's an extremely good game.

As for Breath of the Wild; I can't comment as I haven't played but the one review I read, basically said it was short of a lot of the things The Witcher did and yet it got .7 higher score despite coming out 2 years later?! Definitely being bumped up because of the nostalgia and then Mass Effect Andromeda gets it the complete other way where it's be punished for 3 great games that came before it. I have no doubt if it was a new IP it would have scored higher. Still, it clearly lacked polish so that has rightly held it back.

I'm not playing it no. That's irrelevant though as it doesn't make you anymore qualified to judge its ability to win a GOTY award (I'm aware there are many it's still a out there comment) than me. Unless you've played every other big release this year deemed to be currently better than it and I somewhat doubt you have as that's nearly every single one.

Bearing in mind these things are normally decided by either critical or fan feedback and both have been terrible for ME, and I dont know what review you read for breath of the wild but it's aggregate review score is about 96-97, I believe persona 5 is something like 94. Then there are games like nier nioh and horizon being heavily praised and then take into account as I previously stated, it's only April, I think it's safe to say this is more than a few fixes away from even being a after thought.

if your all enjoying great, but let's cut this there aren't any bugs and it'd be game of the year with a few fixes bull shit right out as it just makes you look like fan boys justifying your purchase. 

Can't quite believe that this game is now a 70 avg on metacritic.  

Just completed the Liam Costa loyalty mission and that was an absolute blast.

It's a tragic state of affairs to knock a title that really isn't that bad at all.  It just isn't.  And the patch upgrade has definitely helped out the animations too.  Small differences count.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's a tragic state of affairs to knock a title that really isn't that bad at all.  It just isn't.  And the patch upgrade has definitely helped out the animations too.  Small differences count.  

when_someone_is_delusional.gif

I'm finding the game very addictive, I have however come across a couple of glitches which involve long loading times but more concerning is that I can't complete a side quest called "Defeating the Kett" as it won't let me into a room. I've googled it and it seems to be a common problem. I'm not really a 100% completionist so I'll perhaps try again when I play as female Ryder. Other than that, still enjoying 50 hours in and no where near finishing it! 

8 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Yes had a couple of laugh out loud moments on Liam's mission. 

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 00:44, Manwell Pablo said:

I'm not playing it no. That's irrelevant though as it doesn't make you anymore qualified to judge its ability to win a GOTY award (I'm aware there are many it's still a out there comment) than me. Unless you've played every other big release this year deemed to be currently better than it and I somewhat doubt you have as that's nearly every single one.

Bearing in mind these things are normally decided by either critical or fan feedback and both have been terrible for ME, and I dont know what review you read for breath of the wild but it's aggregate review score is about 96-97, I believe persona 5 is something like 94. Then there are games like nier nioh and horizon being heavily praised and then take into account as I previously stated, it's only April, I think it's safe to say this is more than a few fixes away from even being a after thought.

if your all enjoying great, but let's cut this there aren't any bugs and it'd be game of the year with a few fixes bull shit right out as it just makes you look like fan boys justifying your purchase. 

I completely get your point. Really sorry that I've made a balanced assessment on a game I've played. I should also thank you for reading my posts. I'll make sure to just comment on games that I haven't played in future.

What a plank lol. I don't want to know what EA/Bioware did to you for to go on the offensive about this game. Why are you even commenting this topic?!

1 hour ago, dmayne7 said:

I completely get your point. Really sorry that I've made a balanced assessment on a game I've played. I should also thank you for reading my posts. I'll make sure to just comment on games that I haven't played in future.

What a plank lol. I don't want to know what EA/Bioware did to you for to go on the offensive about this game. Why are you even commenting this topic?!

Behave grow up and cut out the insults a little and try reading what ive actually posted would be my first advice to you. As your the one making the big statements here. And that statement is what I'm attacking here not the publisher or developer of this game. 

Second would be this game and GOTY in the same sentence is the most sentionalistic thing I've seen written re a game for some time, it's now averagally reviewed worse than no mans sky which was some let down, so no your view is not balanced in the slightest.

Thirdly as I said before if you are enjoying it fine, and to answer your question I'm in this thread as a keen fan of the original trilogy with limited time these days looking for some reasonable fan feedback to weigh against the critical whacking it's been given to see if it's worth a look. An actual balanced view of the game if you will. Which yours clearly isn't given all of the points I made in my previous post none of which you addressed. I'm all for reading a few over the top opinions but GOTY when it's rated as the 20th best game released this year in April sorry have a nap.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

14 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Behave grow up and cut out the insults a little and try reading what ive actually posted would be my first advice to you. As your the one making the big statements here. And that statement is what I'm attacking here not the publisher or developer of this game. 

Second would be this game and GOTY in the same sentence is the most sentionalistic thing I've seen written re a game for some time, it's now averagally reviewed worse than no mans sky which was some let down, so no your view is not balanced in the slightest.

Thirdly as I said before if you are enjoying it fine, and to answer your question I'm in this thread as a keen fan of the original trilogy with limited time these days looking for some reasonable fan feedback to weigh against the critical whacking it's been given to see if it's worth a look. An actual balanced view of the game if you will. Which yours clearly isn't given all of the points I made in my previous post none of which you addressed. I'm all for reading a few over the top opinions but GOTY when it's rated as the 20th best game released this year in April sorry have a nap.

I can only assume you're kidding with the first bit, right? This has all started because you haven't bothered to read what I've said. I've made criticisms of the game. Again, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME. So how can to possibly tell me my opinions are completely wrong?

Yay, again you didn't read what I put (after clarifying). They give out 10's and 10's of GOTY's. I've clearly specified it would be a contender for that IF the bugs were gone, it was polished and it had a better story. A pretty big if, and a pointless hypothetic scenario. It's a game with plenty of flaws but it is a good game.

So if you were on here for a perspective from people who have played the game, yet you'd rather just pick a comment and attack? What points? You threw in some aggregate scores (the very thing I was critiquing) and told me you're as qualified as me to comment on MEA. So, no I haven't played every game this year which is why i didn't say it will be the unanimous game of the year but I have played a few GOTY winners in my time. Dragon age Inquisition being a good example. Never been so excited for a game and crushing disappointment followed. Slagged off loads and gets a 90?! MEA has corrected those issues yet is criticised it. The games media is the most unreliable around. I'd hope you'd have more sense than to blindly follow what you've read.

You want to ask some questions on the game, then I'd be more than happy to answer them. But if you're not going to play the game why bother attacking my opinion since you have no experience to formulate one of your own.

Is it better than the first 3? Of course it is because it's 5 years later. Does it have the same magic? No. Based on the respective time of release for the all of these games, then the first 3 deserve to score higher. However, no doubt that if this was a new IP or didn't have the fan fare around it, it would score higher. It's a good game with some flaws.

1 hour ago, dmayne7 said:

I can only assume you're kidding with the first bit, right? This has all started because you haven't bothered to read what I've said. I've made criticisms of the game. Again, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME. So how can to possibly tell me my opinions are completely wrong?

Yay, again you didn't read what I put (after clarifying). They give out 10's and 10's of GOTY's. I've clearly specified it would be a contender for that IF the bugs were gone, it was polished and it had a better story. A pretty big if, and a pointless hypothetic scenario. It's a game with plenty of flaws but it is a good game.

So if you were on here for a perspective from people who have played the game, yet you'd rather just pick a comment and attack? What points? You threw in some aggregate scores (the very thing I was critiquing) and told me you're as qualified as me to comment on MEA. So, no I haven't played every game this year which is why i didn't say it will be the unanimous game of the year but I have played a few GOTY winners in my time. Dragon age Inquisition being a good example. Never been so excited for a game and crushing disappointment followed. Slagged off loads and gets a 90?! MEA has corrected those issues yet is criticised it. The games media is the most unreliable around. I'd hope you'd have more sense than to blindly follow what you've read.

You want to ask some questions on the game, then I'd be more than happy to answer them. But if you're not going to play the game why bother attacking my opinion since you have no experience to formulate one of your own.

Is it better than the first 3? Of course it is because it's 5 years later. Does it have the same magic? No. Based on the respective time of release for the all of these games, then the first 3 deserve to score higher. However, no doubt that if this was a new IP or didn't have the fan fare around it, it would score higher. It's a good game with some flaws.

They can get certain things wrong but let's face it aggergatley they arent going to be that wrong are they? I seldom massively disagree with a meta critic score although it is a matter of personal preference with games as I'm sure your aware. I know some people who thought highly of dragon age and again we come back to quality of competition as well I believe there wasn't an abundance of high quality that year. Another thing  is I think when the press are drastically wrong it's normally massively over rating games. I can think of a lot more games criminally over rated than under rated.

lol I'm not attacking your opinion as a whole it's just that particular statement isn't it, very out there. I'm not trying to tell you I know more than you I'm trying to make the point when you say The games a few fixes away from a GOTY contender about what is critically speaking one of the worst games released this year it becomes a struggle to take the rest of what you say seriously as it's a very extreme thing to say, although I do take the point some not so perfect titles have won GOTY (although they nearly always critically well received) And some of what you have written I have found useful. 

Ask some questions about the game Pabs and I will give you an honest set of answers. 

The game has, and continues to receive unnecessary criticism.  When Assassins Creed Unity, which was full of problems, and was worse, scores higher on average, then the critics reliability has to be questioned.  Gamespot are a laughing stock, and were when they gave Alien Isolation a 5 as well.  It pays off to be controversial it seems.

I think the problem lies in the review system, those that score out of 5 are going for a 3 rather than a 4, so there's lots of 60s being banded about as a result.  It's never a 60/100 game.  Oddly it's on 77 on X1.  Still too low.  It's a solid 8/10 game.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Sir Shep said:

So, I assume most people have played through this now. Whatcha think? I was pleasantly pleased with the game and enjoyed the last mission. Looking forward to the DLC now. 

lol  No chance!

Figures wise, I'm roughly 50 hours in, level 42 and heavy on biotics - maxed out pull, throw, singularity and all of the passive powers on biotics.  I have the N7 armour level 5 and N7 assault rifle level 5.  My pistol is average and I also carry a decent sniper rifle.  Despite carrying all of those and a krogan hammer I'm still under the weight limit, which for a biotic is supposed to be difficult to achieve from what I've read.

I haven't landed on Elaaden at all yet but have all of the other planets at 100%.  In terms of the main story I've just taken out that tanked up Krogan on the Archon's ship.  I've also completed 3 loyalty missions - Jaal's, Vetra's and Liam's.

The difficulty of the game now is pretty easy for me on normal, although there are times when it is a little more difficult, armoured enemies I tend to struggle with so I'm now taking Vetra and Jaal on more of the missions instead of Jaal and Liam.  I don't use Cora or Peebee at all.  The glyph puzzles are still too easy as well and the sudoku challenge just isn't there - they're too easy.

The game still scores a solid 8/10 from me which may improve to an 8.5/10 if the story continues it's momentum to the end like ME2's did.  If they'd scratched all of the "additional tasks" out of the mission list it would have scored even better imo.  Too much to do makes it worse, especially when other more major mission threads are put "on hold" often.  When going back, I can't remember what came before and there's a lack of continuity there for me.  The mission list feels like an overburdening checklist at times and even takes some of Assassins Creed's "do this, do that" set of chores to an even greater level.

I've only had two game crashes in 50 hours and I haven't met any bugs that plague the overly critical reviews.  The animations are fine, can't understand the level of criticism. 

Overall I am enjoying it, strangely enough I haven't put it down 50 hours in and put time in as and when I can - even Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 didn't keep me this occupied in terms of time.  There's definitely some good stuff in there and it's worthy of peoples time for sure. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had read the same.  Well done to the overly critical critics for giving a helping hand.  :ph34r:

I'm 62 hours in now.  All loyalty missions complete.  Finishing off as many loose ends as possible bar the architects before taking on Meridian and the end game so to speak. 

Still only the two bugs encountered.  That's less than what I had with Skyrim with half the overall game time which I never actually fully finished thanks to a game breaker.

• 1 month later...

Playing this on hard. Only done the tutorial mission but refreshingly there was a little bit of challenge there and enemies will actually move and try to flank you. 

Found that mission a bit boring and struggled really to care about them but it all seemed to work ok. I've known cover systems work better but the gun play feels quite tight if a bit underwhelming. Will see how it feels when I have some better weapons. 

Finished this at the weekend, done the vast majority of the side missions

I must say I was expecting a lot more from the ending. It does throw in a nice twist towards the end but I sat there and was just like "is that it?" when the credits rolled, I didn't even realise I was playing the final mission until it was obvious what was happening

I did think overall it was a decent game though, the side missions were interesting for a change, and the gunplay was decent

I still have no idea what the research and development thing was all about though, even after finishing the game. I tried to research some stuff and build some weapons but I couldn't for the life of me find where it dumped the weapons you'd made because they weren't in my inventory

Edited by MrSpaM

• 1 year later...

So, Bioware (Casey Hudson at least) confirmed today that there is a team still working on this series, well whether that’s this game, a new game or a remaster remains to be seen but at least it’s not dying a death which I’m truely grateful.