Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxhateram

Wainhomes

Anyone else brought a house through this company? What are your thoughts on them?

We have lived in our home now for nearly two years and we still have a snag list as long as your arm. Their customer service is terrible. They have fitted ground above the damp course on the home, covered air bricks that need to be revealed for obvious reasons, laid turn with no top soil underneath and no very little rotivation. It's is shocking how they get away with it.

They even left a gal between the two semi detached houses unsealed, filling it with polystyrene instead of poly filler. Madness. NHBC have been our several times to inspect the property and have sent reports to Wainhomes or just dint care about our threats to take legal action. Very frustrating indeed.jever buying a new home again.

Anyone else brought a house through this company? What are your thoughts on them?

We have lived in our home now for nearly two years and we still have a snag list as long as your arm. Their customer service is terrible. They have fitted ground above the damp course on the home, covered air bricks that need to be revealed for obvious reasons, laid turn with no top soil underneath and no very little rotivation. It's is shocking how they get away with it.

They even left a gal between the two semi detached houses unsealed, filling it with polystyrene instead of poly filler. Madness. NHBC have been our several times to inspect the property and have sent reports to Wainhomes or just dint care about our threats to take legal action. Very frustrating indeed.jever buying a new home again.

sounds like they have breached building regs... get some legal advice ...

They have a huge presence in Cornwall particularly in St Austell, many of my friends live in their homes and they really are terrible, their reputation here I can only compare to what Skoda was like 30 years ago in the car industry 

I haven't experience with that company but a friend bought a new house from another company and had similar problems with a snagging list that wasn't addressed. He was firmly of the opinion that once they had his money they didn't care and simply hoped that if they ignored him for long enough eventually he'd give up and go away.

Legal advice may be necessary but if you're having these problems others in your area may be in the same situation so please consider a visit to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. They should be able to point you in the right direction or put you in touch with the appropriate regulatory authorities. If you have a new house it should have a buildings guarantee (I think it's usually for ten years).

I haven't experience with that company but a friend bought a new house from another company and had similar problems with a snagging list that wasn't addressed. He was firmly of the opinion that once they had his money they didn't care and simply hoped that if they ignored him for long enough eventually he'd give up and go away.

Legal advice may be necessary but if you're having these problems others in your area may be in the same situation so please consider a visit to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. They should be able to point you in the right direction or put you in touch with the appropriate regulatory authorities. If you have a new house it should have a buildings guarantee (I think it's usually for ten years).

Yep the garantee is with the NHBC, they are equally poor for customer service to be honest. They have been out several times to see the issues and agree with us but never chase wainhomes.

It very much is, once they have your money you are stuck. We have had to chase them from day 1. If we hadn't have chased we wouldn't have any of our snag list done at all. We have got some of it done, but the things that remain are being argued. We get a site manager who agrees that it needs doing then they leave and the new one argues all over again. So frustrating.

I haven't experience with that company but a friend bought a new house from another company and had similar problems with a snagging list that wasn't addressed. He was firmly of the opinion that once they had his money they didn't care and simply hoped that if they ignored him for long enough eventually he'd give up and go away.Legal advice may be necessary but if you're having these problems others in your area may be in the same situation so please consider a visit to your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. They should be able to point you in the right direction or put you in touch with the appropriate regulatory authorities. If you have a new house it should have a buildings guarantee (I think it's usually for ten years).

My first home was a new build and I had the same thoughts as your friend.They are your best mate before the sale and then don't want to know.We all got together (18 new builds) and bombarded them.Luckily we also had a few retired couples who loved getting their teeth into it.CAB is a good way to go.

Yep the garantee is with the NHBC, they are equally poor for customer service to be honest. They have been out several times to see the issues and agree with us but never chase wainhomes.

It very much is, once they have your money you are stuck. We have had to chase them from day 1. If we hadn't have chased we wouldn't have any of our snag list done at all. We have got some of it done, but the things that remain are being argued. We get a site manager who agrees that it needs doing then they leave and the new one argues all over again. So frustrating.

Just a thought,my mate is a plasterer and was working on some houses in excess of £1mill .The site manager had a go because he was wearing shorts,not a problem.The next week theh wanted him to do something way out of the safety rules.His plasterers assistant posted on Twitter" it wasn't ok to wear shorts but ok to break H&S rules @name of builders."

Now because he put the name of the builders as well as his mates it went to their HO,and within 20 mins the site was closed!

Just a thought,slate them and put their name and see what happens.Thats if your on Twitter .

All of those companies whether it be Wainhomes, Persimmons, Taylor Wimpey etc want one thing. Your money. As soon as you're in the house you can get fvcked as far as they're concerned.

I own a Taylor Wimpey property in Coalville and the first two years were spent endlessly arguing with them about their liability to issues in the property. Pipes fitted incorrectly, light switches on the wrong side of the door frame, badly fitted radiators. The list goes on. Every time I had to get two independant workman to come out and write a report saying it was an installation error for them to sort it out.

Then last week, despite it only being 5 years old, the boiler packed up. An engineer came out and said it had been wired in incorrectly and he was suprised it had lasted that long. Its rented out now so I had to pay to get it fixed straight away (£500!!!!) but now it will be impossible to get Taylor Wimpey to do anything.

If you buy a new build, get one that was one of the first to be built on the site. At that point they have no reason to cut corners as they have time on their side. The longer the site is open, the more constraints they are under time wise and the more pressure is heaped on the builders and fitters.

• 1 month later...

I also bought a house from Wainhomes and they have the worst customer services I've ever experienced. Lots of similar issues to you with not completing things properly, saying things will be done and then not actually doing it.
Wainhomes management are arrogant, contemptuous and bully people into submission. They have no concern for their customers welfare at all, that's why their profit margins in the South West are so high. I know now that they have a deservedly terrible reputation here, I wish I'd known that before. Good luck!

For legal reasons I'll probably get in trouble if I name names but we're having massive problems with new builds. We're a local authority and even we've given up trying to get them to make good so we're having to under take the repairs ourselves.

I know it's too late for you, so sorry, but stez has the best advice. Much better to be the second or third owner of a new build than the first.

Remember renting a new Wainhomes build in Truro 15 years ago nearly. Landlord was the biggest bellend you've ever met, but not sure he was associated with them. House was poorly built though, even as a 15 year old I could notice that. Remember drawing the curtains and half the wall falling down. 

Building companies are the same whatever their name. It's another industry with too much power and not enough smarts.

short cuts for increased profit.

Another industry which could benefit from nationalisation and non-profit making in order for the govt. to fulfill the demand for "affordable" housing.

Building companies are the same whatever their name. It's another industry with too much power and not enough smarts.

short cuts for increased profit.

Another industry which could benefit from nationalisation and non-profit making in order for the govt. to fulfill the demand for "affordable" housing.

The amount of waste in council housing and housing association projects is unbelievable. Nationalisation would make things even worse as there is never any accountability.

The amount of waste in council housing and housing association projects is unbelievable. Nationalisation would make things even worse as there is never any accountability.

Judging by the comments here there isn't any accountability now, so what's the difference?

The only new build home I would consider buying is a Davidsons house, they are built properly and have a bit of chracther about them.

The rest though only poorly built, with workmen trying to make as much money in as little possible time, obviously this leads to problems in the future.

Solution? up the prices the workmen get and give them more time, which will prevent shoddy houses being built.

David Wilson was a shocking experience for me. Came home twice to the house totally flooded due to atrocious plumbing.

I must have had another 10 plumbing issues to go with the real bad ones that caused the floods.

I remember two toilets were unusable, they must have known this as they put them in, so I assume the plumbers got a fixed rate per toilet, so it wouldn't be in their interests to inform the company that there was a problem.

They gave us free landscaping to our garden as an apology. It took them the whole of the summer to complete it resulting in us not having the postage stamp sized garden for the whole summer.

David Wilsons were horrendous for us

Archived