Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

The road to a 1st Place or 4th Place finish

From the "How many points will it take" thread - I've been doing some analysis. I'll keep these tables updated and post them everytime we play a match. 

I've looked at every season that there's been 3 points for a win and 20 teams in the top division. That's 23 seasons - from 88/89-90/91 and then from 95/96-14/15. 

The tables below shows the low, lower, average, upper and high points totals in that time frame for teams finishing 1st and 4th (The numbers in the top row). 

Then we've got how many points are needed for us to achieve each points total. The second table shows basically the same thing, but is shown through the amount of 'droppable points' we have. So for example to finish on 68 points (the 23 year average for 4th place) we can drop 24 points in the next 15 games. 

Keep in mind that we've dropped 22 points in the 23 games so far

0AHd4RU.png

Also as an added bonus - here's all the games yet to be played in all competitions - with a min and max value for each club, depending on how they progress in each competition. 

zOTpGoB.png

So we've got 15. Everyone else has between 18 and 29. 

Updated after last night:

HhrhBFg.png

So we've dropped 22 points in 24 games and could afford to drop 12 in 14 to finish on 80 pts

Are your "max" figures correct? We have 50 points on the board with 14 to play which is potentially 14 x 3 = 42 points which means the maximum number of points we can get is 92? Or am I missing something?

Edit: sorry, you are right. I was looking at the wrong max column!

Update

p4kFBTL.png

So we've dropped 22 points in 25 matches. We can afford to drop 17 points in the remaining 13 matches, to finish on 75 points.

18 Dropped points looks like:

W6  D3  L4

So obviously that tells us we can have indifferent form between now and the end of the season and finish on 75 points. But obviously, then it'd come down to whether any other teams have better form. 

I think as useful as this analysis is it doesn't really tell us that much. 

We're ahead, and so statistically we're in the best position - therefore measures like 'points needed' and 'droppable points' will make us look even better. 

The real test now, is the mental side of things - can we handle the pressure, particularly since we're now everyone's 2nd team and most people's favourites. 

Update - after Arsenal match

0ILS8Ad.png

It's increasingly looking like the points total required for topspot is going to be between 75-80 points. 

I can't see any team being good enough to drop only 3-9 points. 

The form required to get to 80 points would be something like:

LCFC: W8 D3 L1

Arsenal/Spurs: W9 D2 L1

Can anyone see any of those 3 teams having form as good as that? Maybe us, with all the rest and fewest amounts of games. 

So I think going forward I'll just break it down to all 75,76,77,78,79,80 points required for stuff. 

If we achieve as many points against the teams we have left to play, as we did against them first time round we'll get 85 points. If any of the other clubs below us better that then well done them. Our run in is far easier than Arsenal & Tottenham. Arsenal have easy games at home but a lot of tough away games. Tottenham have tough games home & away - they only have 3 games you would definitely say they'd win. Man City may still be our main competitor. Hopefully, I'm right and there will not be a downturn in form or run of bad injuries (touch wood) but Foxes are still my favourites to comfortably win the league & I'm pessimistic by nature.

If we achieve as many points against the teams we have left to play, as we did against them first time round we'll get 85 points. If any of the other clubs below us better that then well done them. Our run in is far easier than Arsenal & Tottenham. Arsenal have easy games at home but a lot of tough away games. Tottenham have tough games home & away - they only have 3 games you would definitely say they'd win. Man City may still be our main competitor. Hopefully, I'm right and there will not be a downturn in form or run of bad injuries (touch wood) but Foxes are still my favourites to comfortably win the league & I'm pessimistic by nature.

The only problem with the prediction of 85 points is, our max is 89.

Do you seriously think we are only going to drop 4 points in 12 games?

W10 D2 L0

???

No, but like everyone else I didn't dream of us being top after 26 games. If we play as we have been and fingers crossed have no bad luck I think it is possible. We have some tough games (some may say they're all tough) but provided we maintain the work rate and don't dip in form in my opinion there is a reasonable chance we could go on a really good run of results. Maybe, if we do, the only fly in the ointment will be the last match. If as I think, we have won the league with games to spare then Chelsea will probably beat us. Either way I wouldn't want to be going to Chelsea needing a result. The next two games are important - must win games at home to Norwich & West Brom - I think the other teams below us are as close as they're going to get. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE - after Tues and Weds night:

nqk9sun.png

I got rid of the stuff about 4th place, since that seems so nailed on. 

So we can see that it's INCREDIBLY likely that 78 pts will be the absolute maximum required to win the league - since Man City, Arsenal and Spurs can only afford to drop 2, 3 and 6 points respectively if they need that total. We can get to 78 if we drop 9 points between now and the end of the season. 

9 points dropped looks something like:

W7 D0 L3

W6 D2 L2 (10 dropped)

Win all our home games and we nearly win it for me given the inconsistency of the teams chasing. Pick up a couple of points away as well and I'm convinced we win it.

Looks good - 15 points - pick up 3 on the road and we'll finish on 75. W5 D3 L2

Archived