Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Les-TA-Jon

The road to a 1st Place or 4th Place finish

I think 75 points for us will ensure at least 3rd place, based on the fact that  Spurs,West Ham, Arsenal and Man City have games against each other where points must be dropped.

4 wins from the last 8 will guarantee an automatic CL place and our highest league position since 1929.

But let's be honest, we've got to win the league now, this year. It probably won't happen again in any of our lifetimes.

5 wins and we'll be champions. 

I think 75 points for us will ensure at least 3rd place, based on the fact that  Spurs,West Ham, Arsenal and Man City have games against each other where points must be dropped.

4 wins from the last 8 will guarantee an automatic CL place and our highest league position since 1929.

But let's be honest, we've got to win the league now, this year. It probably won't happen again in any of our lifetimes.

5 wins and we'll be champions

I said this to my Dad over Skype today and we both just sat their for a while in silence, trying to comprehend it all. Fvck me imagine if we did it.

Quick guess

City 12 pts

Spurs 14 pys

Arsenal 17 pts

So

City 75 pts

Spurs 72 pts

Arsenal 69 pts

could be wrong though Just worried about last three games but I have counted a couple of draws for them and earlier games. We just have to get more wins.

Think I'm right in saying that in the return fixtures we got 20 points from our games against our remaining opponents...which incidentally the exact requirement to guarantee the league.

Spurs took 10 from theirs

Yep.

It's an important point IMO. It signals that Spurs opponents will have extra confidence and know how in how to set up for a result.

Where as our opponents may have to try something different.

We've got to keep our performance levels up and keep doing what we are doing. Keep our attacking game strong. Bagging a few goals against Palace will set us up nicely. We've not dished out a beating yet this season, I really want to smash someone by 4 or 5 just to empthasize our dominance.

Reading this is both amazing and makes me crap my pants. Reminds me of the Championship Championship (yes deliberately said twice) season when it was is head to head against Burnley. That was brown trouser time at this stage of the season too. Let's hope we get the same outcome.

Being a Leicester fan is never dull.

#KeepTheFaith

Yes great reading and very positive on paper. However some of us are old enough to remember how we blew it in 61 with 4 games to go. funnily against the same Spurs. Still I firmly believe we are better prepared and really up for it this time. On the pitch is were it matters and we just have to stay focused with everyone putting in a full shift including our Fans. 

Onwards and upwards we go.

Five wins for us leaves Spurs requiring a run of form I think is beyond them (based on their remaining fixtures) to win the league. I think four wins and a draw will do it. I can't believe we are this close to being Champions of England. Just think about that.

We've got to keep our performance levels up and keep doing what we are doing. Keep our attacking game strong. Bagging a few goals against Palace will set us up nicely. We've not dished out a beating yet this season, I really want to smash someone by 4 or 5 just to empthasize our dominance.

Our recent form and the trend since New Year suggests that we will likely not win by more than a goal or two tops, if we win. Ranieri is going far more for security now than 'bravery'.

Also, 4 or 5 wins doesn't sound like much, especially when we've just won 3 out of the last 4. But when you think about it, winning 4 or 5 of the last 8 is still a tall order for our side. I just don't hope the weight of expectation will be too great. We're likely to witness an upset before the final three very tough games and it's going to take fantastic mental strength to keep focus.

Our recent form and the trend since New Year suggests that we will likely not win by more than a goal or two tops, if we win. Ranieri is going far more for security now than 'bravery'.

Also, 4 or 5 wins doesn't sound like much, especially when we've just won 3 out of the last 4. But when you think about it, winning 4 or 5 of the last 8 is still a tall order for our side. I just don't hope the weight of expectation will be too great. We're likely to witness an upset before the final three very tough games and it's going to take fantastic mental strength to keep focus.

You're quite right, one or two goals a game is all we're likely to score. I think the plan is to shut up shop and protect what we have if we get a goal up. Always a dangerous tactic. Personally I've always believed that the best form of defence is pressing high up.

I'm also hoping we'll have it won before the final 3 games where we can have a party at each.

You're quite right, one or two goals a game is all we're likely to score. I think the plan is to shut up shop and protect what we have if we get a goal up. Always a dangerous tactic. Personally I've always believed that the best form of defence is pressing high up.

I'm also hoping we'll have it won before the final 3 games where we can have a party at each.

I can almost say for sure that this won't happen. We will not be 10 points ahead with 3 games to go.

As for the defensive approach, I get what you're saying. We've looked irresistible sometimes this season when relentlessly pressing, and it's brought it's rewards, but every team has played us once already and for the return fixture those same teams have approached the match differently in anticipation of how we set up. Ranieri is right to be wary of getting counter-attacked ourselves and being open at the back.

We're still pressing very high (how man times did Morgan challenge Mitrovic on the halfway line or even inside their half?), but the difference I've noted is we have less forward runs when we're in possession, because Ranieri wants them to be able to run back and cover and not be caught up the pitch.

I can almost say for sure that this won't happen. We will not be 10 points ahead with 3 games to go.

Have you checked out the other sides fixtures? I'd say if we are going to win it then there is a pretty good chance we could be clear after the Swansea game. I'll let you know after Saturday's game

We'll both have to  wait and see. But I don't think Spurs will win in Anfield against Liverpool or beat Chelsea. There both in the next five games. Now IF we don't slip up that means we'll be 11 points ahead of Spurs present 5 points plus Spurs losing 6 points.

Unless we blow up I think it will be decided over the next five games.

Morgan has been magnificent all season as has the defence to be fair to them. When you retreat to the Box and fight the game there you're always likely to give away a goal or a penalty. I also don't see us giving up any more than a Goal a game if any.

It's just I think we look better battling away as Shinji and Vardy do high up.  At least it's better for the nerves.

As for the defensive approach, I get what you're saying. We've looked irresistible sometimes this season when relentlessly pressing, and it's brought it's rewards, but every team has played us once already and for the return fixture those same teams have approached the match differently in anticipation of how we set up. Ranieri is right to be wary of getting counter-attacked ourselves and being open at the back.

We're still pressing very high (how man times did Morgan challenge Mitrovic on the halfway line or even inside their half?), but the difference I've noted is we have less forward runs when we're in possession, because Ranieri wants them to be able to run back and cover and not be caught up the pitch.

This.

I will almost be surprised EVER get to counter attack again this season. The way teams are playing to keep the score down is going to make it very difficult to score many in a game which makes it a very anxious watch as the games go on.

I think taking Man City apart is the last of those sort of games we will see for a while.

Mini Update after today - will provide fuller one after Spur's game tomorrow.

It's really looking like 75 or 76 may be enough. We could actually be 9 or 10 points away!

If we win just 3 of our remaining games, and Spurs draw 2 and lose 1, it's ours. 

FULL UPDATE  - After Palace and Spurs v Bournemouth

YN1Xxfs.png

You'll notice I've added a new little table at the bottom for the maximum points required to win the league (i.e Spur's max total +1) and also the amount of points we can drop and still achieve it. 

So we can see that Man City and Man Utd and really, really, really out of it by now - unless all of the top five were to drop a ton of points between now and the end and them really pick up close to maximum points. Arsenal pretty much need to go unbeaten and/or get very close to maximum points to have a chance and even then us and spurs would have to drop 12 and 11 points each to give them that chance. So as we've known for a while not it's definitely a two horse race.

NpwUbgQ.png

uJUf5i7.png

The cushion is 'only' 5 points, Spurs play the unreliable Liverpool first and we play the tricky Soton after. But I suppose worst case scenario is Spurs beat Liverpool and we lose to Soton and are still 2 points clear, with 6 to play - 3 at home and 4 played first and 2 simultaneously. So we're still very much in the driving seat. Get anything out of the Soton game, regardless of Spur's result and then we definitely are on the home straight I feel. 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE after Soton

1WQ1RPo.png

So after Spurs dropping points and us winning today, we need 12 points to win the league, regardless of what anyone else does. 

Although 12 points is still 4 wins out of 6. Or 3 wins and 3 draws. So if we win less than 3 of the remaining games and someone else wins all their remaining games, then we would come unstuck. But whatever, we're clearly in a great position. 

If Spurs so much as draw or lose a game, it looks really tough for them. But given the timing of the fixtures:

X1pVyTR.png    wADnElk.png

With us playing first each time, it's going to get really interesting. We win at Sunderland, go 10 points clear and Spurs draw, we'd only need 7 points to guarantee it and Spurs could basically not afford to drop ANY points. 

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. The fact remains we're 7 points clear - I think today could prove to be key. If the gap gets shrunk going into the last few games then so be it, but I wonder if we'd slipped up today the players would have got nervous. Of course it could go the other way. But the longer we keep the gap big, the more the pressure transfers to Spurs. It's key extending the gap, going into these last 6 games - where we don't play after Spurs at all now. 

Also some incredible stats:

April 3rd 2015 - 7 points clear of safety

April 3rd 2016 - 7 points clear at the top

And since the West Ham game last season - a 41 game sequence we've got 91 points - 18 more than any other side

We've gone W27, D10, L4 in that run

Archived