Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

On 25/03/2021 at 14:07, Spudulike said:

Frightening isn't it. I'm waiting for planning approval for my single storey kitchen/diner on the side of the house and have started to make tentative enquiries to local builders. I've only found one so far that has any availability this year but I can't find any reviews for him so I'm hesitant. 

One other has estimated that it'll cost £49k-£55k plus VAT. That doesn't include windows, just the build. Wow, I was expecting about £15k less than that. 

The extension is 32 m2 so not massive but it does involve knocking down external walls. And it's very close to an old oak with a TPO. 

I've just spoken to https://www.mastertradesmen.co.uk/need-a-builder.html and they are getting back to me with local builders contacts. It's free, no obligation so might be worth a try. 

Out of interest, why did you need planning permission? 

And re the TPO tree - I’m not sure if you’ve considered it, but a private building inspector is likely to be more forgiving than a council one, imo. 
They are generally more concerned with the actual build (will it fall down/is it insulated, etc) rather than the jobsworth council inspectors who seem to prefer to look for problems. 

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Out of interest, why did you need planning permission? 

And re the TPO tree - I’m not sure if you’ve considered it, but a private building inspector is likely to be more forgiving than a council one, imo. 
They are generally more concerned with the actual build (will it fall down/is it insulated, etc) rather than the jobsworth council inspectors who seem to prefer to look for problems. 

Mainly because that's what the architect said! However, although it will run alongside the house it gets close to a pavement the other side (albeit with a high hedge inbetween) and there have been planning issues in the past hence the reason the land has remained an open space since the house was built. It also extends the front of the house making it wider. 

Don't think the neighbours have any grounds to object so I'm hoping it will get passed. 

Didnt know I could get a private building inspector so didn't consider it. How's that work? 

Ps. The Association of Master Tradesmen have put me in touch with 4 builders, one of which is coming over next Thursday. 

40 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Mainly because that's what the architect said! However, although it will run alongside the house it gets close to a pavement the other side (albeit with a high hedge inbetween) and there have been planning issues in the past hence the reason the land has remained an open space since the house was built. It also extends the front of the house making it wider. 

Don't think the neighbours have any grounds to object so I'm hoping it will get passed. 

Didnt know I could get a private building inspector so didn't consider it. How's that work? 

Ps. The Association of Master Tradesmen have put me in touch with 4 builders, one of which is coming over next Thursday. 

Ah, that’s probably why. 

It’s always worth checking out permitted development, as you can do quite a bit without the ball ache of planning permission. 

We are in the process of having a side extension completed and I insisted on a private building inspector as our local council ones are a nightmare - a couple of my neighbours have had extensions built and had all sorts of problems with council inspectors. They really do seem to look for problems.
All you really need to know is that the extension is secure and complies with relevant regs, and that the builders have done their jobs correctly. They won’t sign off on something that’s unsafe. 
Either Google local private building inspectors, or ask your builder if they deal with one - even better if they have a relationship with one. 👍

6 minutes ago, Milo said:

Ah, that’s probably why. 

It’s always worth checking out permitted development, as you can do quite a bit without the ball ache of planning permission. 

We are in the process of having a side extension completed and I insisted on a private building inspector as our local council ones are a nightmare - a couple of my neighbours have had extensions built and had all sorts of problems with council inspectors. They really do seem to look for problems.
All you really need to know is that the extension is secure and complies with relevant regs, and that the builders have done their jobs correctly. They won’t sign off on something that’s unsafe. 
Either Google local private building inspectors, or ask your builder if they deal with one - even better if they have a relationship with one. 👍

Asking your builder is the best advice. Not all private inspectors are good ( mine was crap).

Council ones are cheaper and will be my choice on future projects. They have a bad rep on the basis of previous performance, but now they compete with private inspectors they are typically much better.

11 minutes ago, kenny said:

Asking your builder is the best advice. Not all private inspectors are good ( mine was crap).

Council ones are cheaper and will be my choice on future projects. They have a bad rep on the basis of previous performance, but now they compete with private inspectors they are typically much better.

Interesting point. 

If it’s straightforward then yes, I’d agree. 

We are on chalk with a few trees around us...and typically the council bods have been a nightmare on both counts!!

40 minutes ago, Milo said:

Interesting point. 

If it’s straightforward then yes, I’d agree. 

We are on chalk with a few trees around us...and typically the council bods have been a nightmare on both counts!!

That's the problem with trees and clay soils not the inspector!

Always worth getting advice from an engineer and maybe some soils testing done when trees are present.

So all being well I will be in my new house in July. Previously I have only gone from living at home to my first house. When moving how does it work with things like energy, tv internet etc? As in transferring them across. Any help would be appreciated. 

46 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

So all being well I will be in my new house in July. Previously I have only gone from living at home to my first house. When moving how does it work with things like energy, tv internet etc? As in transferring them across. Any help would be appreciated. 

With most of them it’s just a case of making a call to change your address but TV/Internet will depend on if you have them services available to you at your address.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Mortgage valuation tomorrow, dreading it lol Kept a few grand spare just incase it's less than what I'm paying, although my folks said they'd give me some if it's needed.

Hopefully all goes well with this one :fc:

Hi all. Been a week since I offered for a house, on the market for 6+weeks, asking 230, I offered a very reasonable 210k considering houses in the area have gone for this much.

Should I follow up, email etc, reluctantly offer more? Would love your thoughts as always. 

9 minutes ago, newfox1 said:

Hi all. Been a week since I offered for a house, on the market for 6+weeks, asking 230, I offered a very reasonable 210k considering houses in the area have gone for this much.

Should I follow up, email etc, reluctantly offer more? Would love your thoughts as always. 

Depends how much you want it would be my question. How gutted would you be if you find out in a years time someone offered £5k more than you and got it.

From experience, I’m not sure if the perfect house exists unless money is no object so think about if it has most things you want I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Status certificate went through today. Just waiting on the rest of the legal sh*t. 

Should be finalized by Monday(knock on wood).

Nice, congrats! Did you take that one offer or any other come in?

Now what are your plans? Assuming you went with a 60 or 90 day close?

2 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Nice, congrats! Did you take that one offer or any other come in?

Now what are your plans? Assuming you went with a 60 or 90 day close?

Went with a 30 day close, cuz I'm insane lol

That offer was from a couple that had made several bids in my condos and failed. They knew what they had to bid to get it and I certainly am happy with that.

30 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Went with a 30 day close, cuz I'm insane lol

That offer was from a couple that had made several bids in my condos and failed. They knew what they had to bid to get it and I certainly am happy with that.

Fantastic! 30 day close damnnnnnn. Are you looking to just rent now?

On 27/03/2021 at 11:07, kenny said:

That's the problem with trees and clay soils not the inspector!

Always worth getting advice from an engineer and maybe some soils testing done when trees are present.

I've had my house extension application denied by planning until I submit a tree survey report or arboriculturist statement. Not a surprise, to be honest, but just another delay and expense (£300-£400).

11 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I've had my house extension application denied by planning until I submit a tree survey report or arboriculturist statement. Not a surprise, to be honest, but just another delay and expense (£300-£400).

No surprise actually. They will need to justify that the extension won't have an effect on the roots and the water uptake of the tree.

You will be disappointed by your 4 page report with a load of photocopied appendices I suspect!

Just have to hope that the tree guy doesn't scupper your extension or ask for a no-dig solution for it.

• Like 1