Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Assuming our sale/purchase goes through we'll need to refurb the new property, including the kitchen. We'd seen very good reviews for DIY Kitchens too, competitively priced, but typically it doesn't look like they do the handless kitchen we're wanting.

I hadn’t seen that?  They do soft close but I quite like handles anyway!  I enjoy ‘expressing myself’ in the kitchen and my grubby cooking mits going on clean doors would probably send my wife over the edge !!!

2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I hadn’t seen that?  They do soft close but I quite like handles anyway!  I enjoy ‘expressing myself’ in the kitchen and my grubby cooking mits going on clean doors would probably send my wife over the edge !!!

Yes, noted the soft close option. An absolute necessity. Also, had a good range of units with internal drawers, they are great. There is a handless option but looks J style not true handless. However, I have used the quote facility, and it's coming in at £8k without appliances. I know true handless are more expensive so might need to like the J style...

We have full width handles currently, which on our high gloss units was definitely the right choice. Planning matt for the next one though.

The most important lessons learnt from our current kitchen, which is only a few years old, AVOID granite worktops and polished porcelain/ceramic floor tiles. And black glass doors.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Bloomin’ heck I like to put myself through it

i am getting quotes for a loft conversion and an extension 

Extension is a reasonable size, but, basic box…. No big steels as back of the house needs a very simple door knocking through to join the extension…. No major access issues as you can get a mini digger through and services / drains are relatively easy to access…. I was just quoted £2,300 per m2…. I nearly fell off my chair and then they added…. Didn’t include kitchen or fitting of kitchen…. Didn’t include flooring or fitting of flooring and also didn’t include anything on the patio i had asked for or the underfloor heating…

that is just incredible…. Are builders really quoting £2,3k per m2 for a basic shell and core on an easy extension???

i was expecting anything between £1200-£1400 per m2…. Is that way off?  I know materials are up, but, the 70% of this kind of work is always on labour…

Frightening isn't it. I'm waiting for planning approval for my single storey kitchen/diner on the side of the house and have started to make tentative enquiries to local builders. I've only found one so far that has any availability this year but I can't find any reviews for him so I'm hesitant. 

One other has estimated that it'll cost £49k-£55k plus VAT. That doesn't include windows, just the build. Wow, I was expecting about £15k less than that. 

The extension is 32 m2 so not massive but it does involve knocking down external walls. And it's very close to an old oak with a TPO. 

I've just spoken to https://www.mastertradesmen.co.uk/need-a-builder.html and they are getting back to me with local builders contacts. It's free, no obligation so might be worth a try. 

26 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

AVOID granite worktops and polished porcelain/ceramic floor tiles. And black glass doors

What would you recommend floor wise? We got the flooring fitted for free in ours so they just stuck some vinyl down but we’re planning to get that ripped up for tiles. 

We changed estate agents last week, knocked £5k out of the price and we finally got a viewing on ours yesterday.

The wife did it and she reported it was really positive. Still haven’t had any feedback, good or indifferent. 

I can’t help but feel that they were just being British and polite 😂 

16 minutes ago, Manini said:

What would you recommend floor wise? We got the flooring fitted for free in ours so they just stuck some vinyl down but we’re planning to get that ripped up for tiles. 

I’ve fitted porcelain tiles in all ours houses when re-doing the kitchens. The current house just has the David Wilson “Amtico” flooring which was fitted new when we purchased the property. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how hard wearing it is. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Manini said:

Don't get me wrong, ours look fabulous and no wear issues, but they're really hard work to keep looking fabulous, polished and clean. Pale grey/silver so all bits show and the dog drips water from his bowl, leaving marks everywhere. Will be going for tiles again but in matt, it's the polished element that causes the grief.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Frightening isn't it. I'm waiting for planning approval for my single storey kitchen/diner on the side of the house and have started to make tentative enquiries to local builders. I've only found one so far that has any availability this year but I can't find any reviews for him so I'm hesitant. 

One other has estimated that it'll cost £49k-£55k plus VAT. That doesn't include windows, just the build. Wow, I was expecting about £15k less than that. 

The extension is 32 m2 so not massive but it does involve knocking down external walls. And it's very close to an old oak with a TPO. 

I've just spoken to https://www.mastertradesmen.co.uk/need-a-builder.html and they are getting back to me with local builders contacts. It's free, no obligation so might be worth a try. 

Ah…. That makes me feel better!  Mine is also exactly 32m2 but with very few complexities and no internal walls impacted

£60k is still hugely expensive in my mind…. I was budgeting for around £45-£50k inc. VAT so still ridiculously expensive in my mind…

finding builders can be a nightmare…. I had the architect recommend one and have the others through recommendations 

The only wild card was the one with daft quote!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Have they priced on providing a piled foundation? If not then they may have priced on regular 1m deep foundations then sting you later once the Building Inspector shows up.

If the tree is this close and you have clay soils, then I would get a Structural Engineer to look at the design before you get builder prices.

If you are still waiting on planning, then you may also find that the conditions relate to this tree which can be a load of hassle as they get precious about the trees roots.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Has anyone ever ripped up floor boards in the house and put insulation down before relaying?

I crawled round the void on my back and did it from the underside as the void was around 300mm.Unpleasant job.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

Yes, noted the soft close option. An absolute necessity. Also, had a good range of units with internal drawers, they are great. There is a handless option but looks J style not true handless. However, I have used the quote facility, and it's coming in at £8k without appliances. I know true handless are more expensive so might need to like the J style...

We have full width handles currently, which on our high gloss units was definitely the right choice. Planning matt for the next one though.

The most important lessons learnt from our current kitchen, which is only a few years old, AVOID granite worktops and polished porcelain/ceramic floor tiles. And black glass doors.

Why not Granite?  I was considering quartz which is not dissimilar

i had part stainless steel in my last place which was amazing but looked like a mortuary slab!

I bet you several £k that you end up liking the J style :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, kenny said:

Have they priced on providing a piled foundation? If not then they may have priced on regular 1m deep foundations then sting you later once the Building Inspector shows up.

If the tree is this close and you have clay soils, then I would get a Structural Engineer to look at the design before you get builder prices.

If you are still waiting on planning, then you may also find that the conditions relate to this tree which can be a load of hassle as they get precious about the trees roots.

It was only a fag packet estimate and I could hear the teeth sucking from the tone of the email. No mention about foundation's, that's one to look out for then. 

We don't have clay soil and the Architect didn't seem too bothered about the oak. Like you said, I expect that planning will be looking closely. 

If it all becomes too much then I expect we'll list it (not love it). 

See above reply for the polished tiles re the granite @Wolfox. Ours is black and high maintenance. That said, we had granite previously, and it wasn't, which is why we had it again. As soon as you touch it there are finger prints everywhere. Non black might be ok. Ditto the black glass cupboards.

9 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

See above reply for the polished tiles re the granite @Wolfox. Ours is black and high maintenance. That said, we had granite previously, and it wasn't, which is why we had it again. As soon as you touch it there are finger prints everywhere. Non black might be ok. Ditto the black glass cupboards.

Gotcha… 👍🏼 

dark bad

lighter Good

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Many solicitors will have similar charges, but ring around for 2 or 3 quotes for comparison.

Do not go with one of the cheap ones from a comparison site - they rely on volume for their business, and their service is dreadful (speaking from experience here).

Go either for the one in the estate agents office, or one in your local village / town that you can go and visit.  It makes it much easier for signing documents, etc, rather than having to get copies, post them off, chase them to see if they have arrived, etc.

We sold a house recently (simple sale only) and it took 3-1/2 months until completion.  There are COVID delays with local searches.

Thanks for that, will definitely take this on board. 

Update to my search, I'm the only only one to have made an offer this week on a property after 6 weeks the home beingon the market. Agent, to be fair is surprised the sellers aren't taking up the offer as they have not received any other ones! Asking 230k, I've offered 210k with very small mortgage needed. The only other person I'm competing with is myself! Sellers are saying they need 230 to buy their onwards home.

Now what folks? This is weird. It's overpriced as it is as similar homes here have not sold for the price and have been on sale for a couple of months...

36 minutes ago, newfox1 said:

Thanks for that, will definitely take this on board. 

Update to my search, I'm the only only one to have made an offer this week on a property after 6 weeks the home beingon the market. Agent, to be fair is surprised the sellers aren't taking up the offer as they have not received any other ones! Asking 230k, I've offered 210k with very small mortgage needed. The only other person I'm competing with is myself! Sellers are saying they need 230 to buy their onwards home.

Now what folks? This is weird. It's overpriced as it is as similar homes here have not sold for the price and have been on sale for a couple of months...

Advise you'll leave the offer on the table for x period of time and after that it's withdrawn. If you're prepared to walk away. Any others still available instead? If nothing else in that area, which is similar in house type and finish has sold above £210k, it's overpriced. Is there anything exceptional about it that puts it above the others which have sold recently - garage, corner plot, views ? Where is it? Have you asked the agent their view on the price and your offer?

Edited by FoyleFox

It's a lovely house , no work needed at all. But probably cos it's on a main road near Saff Lane probably puts people off for some reason  But I'm fine with that. Would be the perfect first time house too. 

I rarely praise agents but even she said she can't do much if sellers don't wanna budge and my offer with 0 competition from others is fair! But it's the agents fault for pricing it so high I the first place!

We spoke to a couple of agents about houses which we thought were overpriced, the agent agreed but said the vendors had decided on the price and wouldn't budge. Unfortunately, you're stuck then. If you and the agent agree your offer is fair, but the vendors won't negotiate. It's either increase or leave it and hope they reconsider in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, newfox1 said:

It's a lovely house , no work needed at all. But probably cos it's on a main road near Saff Lane probably puts people off for some reason  But I'm fine with that. Would be the perfect first time house too. 

I rarely praise agents but even she said she can't do much if sellers don't wanna budge and my offer with 0 competition from others is fair! But it's the agents fault for pricing it so high I the first place!

Doesn’t sound like the agents valued it. Maybe the owners valued it and instructed the agents to put it on at that price 🤷‍♂️ 

I’m sure the agent wants the sale, so maybe follow the advice above from @FoyleFox and be prepared to walk away - and I’d advise you get your agent onside and work with them on a strategy. 

Alternatively, leave it for a week and then put in a best and final of £5k on top of what you’ve offered - if that’s doable for you. 

Good luck - exciting times!

• Thanks 1

Recently moved into my new digs and would like some recommendations please:

Need a new kitchen and bathroom fitting. I know there's money to be saved by buying kitchen units etc and finding a separate fitter to do the job, but does anyone have any recommendations to a company that just does the whole lot at a reasonable price for decent quality (not too extravagant)? I don't really know where to start. Also a massive bonus if this company does both bathrooms and kitchens and can coordinate it so it's all done at the same time. Thanks

13 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Put my condo up for sale yesterday.

Having a bit of a panic attack with all of the getting it ready for showing and the fact that I don't have a place to live set up as of yet.

I'm sure it'll all work out fine - keep telling myself that lol

Has it sold yet? Lol

• Haha 1