Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

3 hours ago, Sly said:

They didn’t turn up! 

Selling this house is turning into a nightmare. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

7 weeks.

So annoying when people don't turn up, any word from the agent why?

Is that 7 weeks with the new agent though? The first agents didn't do anything for the first few weeks. There's lots that have been on the market longer, I've had some saved since before Christmas. I know the FTB houses are selling quickly but are others in your price band?

41 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Just got the official word on the sale of my home.

Sold almost exactly $300,000(Canadian bucks) more than what I paid 8 years ago.

I'll take it and hopefully make something with it, while I return to rental life :D

Nice one for you! Doing the math we had a similar gain over the 6.75 years we owned our townhouse. Between 35 to 40k increase each year.

Since we moved to our current detach we've "earned" 100k per year in this over inflated bubble market that will crash at some point.  I am not going to sell as its expensive to buy anywhere and not really worth it unless you move to timbuktu. Even then not worth it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

Nice one for you! Doing the math we had a similar gain over the 6.75 years we owned our townhouse. Between 35 to 40k increase each year.

Since we moved to our current detach we've "earned" 100k per year in this over inflated bubble market that will crash at some point.  I am not going to sell as its expensive to buy anywhere and not really worth it unless you move to timbuktu. Even then not worth it

you could probably sell, buy a couple of acres and build your own place whilst living in a rental for a year and still be quids in at the end of it all..

7 hours ago, newfox1 said:

Out of interest, had any offers yet? As a seller, how much lower would you or would you insist on the current asking price?

I ask as I'm trying to get into the mindset of a seller when a home isn't shifting and reasonable offers are made. Currently looking for my first too but not selling at the mo. 

Bet it's a headache too.

I’ve now knocked £20,000 out of what we were advised to list of for and still no bites. I’m not taking any more out of it. Space to size, it’s valued at around £213 / square foot, which is on the lower side apparently. 

I’ll end up selling something else at this rate, then take this off the market. 

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'd be thinking there's something wrong at this point, houses are selling like hotcakes.

It must be that the price is too high surely? Or the area isn't attractive to that many people?

Have you swapped estate agents? Is the property on RightMove? If you still aren't getting anywhere soon I'd drop the price by 5-10k and see how it goes.

Yes, we swapped estate agents 3 weeks ago. We didn’t get anything with the first ones, they didn’t really respond when the wife was chasing them. Not a single viewing. 

The property is on right move. Bizarrely other houses on our estate have gone up and sold. One a similar size that was listed for more. Properties are selling around here. It’s an odd one. I’ve got 7 months to sell, so I’m just going to wait it out really. 

6 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

So annoying when people don't turn up, any word from the agent why?

Is that 7 weeks with the new agent though? The first agents didn't do anything for the first few weeks. There's lots that have been on the market longer, I've had some saved since before Christmas. I know the FTB houses are selling quickly but are others in your price band?

Apparently they were ill. I guess we’ll see if they reschedule. 

We’ve noticed one or two a day that sell in our house size / price range within 3 miles. It’s an interesting one for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I’ve now knocked £20,000 out of what we were advised to list of for and still no bites. I’m not taking any more out of it. Space to size, it’s valued at around £213 / square foot, which is on the lower side apparently. 

Yes, we swapped estate agents 3 weeks ago. We didn’t get anything with the first ones, they didn’t really respond when the wife was chasing them. Not a single viewing. 

The property is on right move. Bizarrely other houses on our estate have gone up and sold. One a similar size that was listed for more. Properties are selling around here. It’s an odd one. I’ve got 7 months to sell, so I’m just going to wait it out really. 

Well it seems like you are doing the right things so just a matter of time now. From my experience as a potential buyer, pics also make a difference. Saw one house on Right move ,  for sale for months, they switched agents with much better booking interface and more pictures, same price , sold within 10 days.

Decent and  realistic price drops also attracts more interest too so just a matter of time hopefully.

9 hours ago, newfox1 said:

Congrats dude. Which of the 3 were accepted and what if all 3 got accepted too? Was there a lot of competition or bidding going on?

thanks mate. 

I actually meant to write 4, not 3! The offers were all at different stages. We’ve been looking for about 2 months. 

The first house that we made an offer on was accepted, then gazumped. The second, the seller then decided to take it off the market. Third was also this week but they’d already knocked it back. 

We were actually the first viewers of this house and they cancelled all viewings as soon as they accepted our offer, so there shouldn’t be any more bids. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

3 hours ago, Sly said:

I'd start your 'how long you've been on the market count at the new agents.

It's definitely strange, it's done very nicely, spacious and that's reflected in the photo's. Looks an ideal family home in a family environment. An identical one is up for £20k more on Grange Rd, so you're not overpriced at all IMO. Personally, if you're not in a rush, I'd wait too.

I liked it when it came up as matching our criteria - a family environment isn't for us though. I would buy your world map in the dining room, that's terrific.

9 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I'd start your 'how long you've been on the market count at the new agents.

It's definitely strange, it's done very nicely, spacious and that's reflected in the photo's. Looks an ideal family home in a family environment. An identical one is up for £20k more on Grange Rd, so you're not overpriced at all IMO. Personally, if you're not in a rush, I'd wait too.

I liked it when it came up as matching our criteria - a family environment isn't for us though. I would buy your world map in the dining room, that's terrific.

Yes, we were conscious of coming in under the asking price of Grange Road. 

The map was from IKEA when we moved in, for £70 I think. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MPH said:

you could probably sell, buy a couple of acres and build your own place whilst living in a rental for a year and still be quids in at the end of it all..

We could but the greater toronto area (GTA) is ridiculous on pricing right now. Even the areas much further away like London, Ontario  is higher than normal. The problem is my wife is a teacher and teachers are hired to work in a specific region which could make up several cities/towns. She can't just work in another region without applying to work for that region and then she loses her seniority etc. So we are tied to the GTA unfortunately. Perhaps when we retire in like 20+ years or so.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

So my house move went ahead as planned on the 29th. Was a really easy transition. Got the keys at 11am and the house was spotless. We still went over wit the carpet cleaner but we really didnt need to. Previous owners left it in perfect condition. We have been here just over a week now and we are pretty much all done. Sort some clothes out and build a dressing table for the wife and that's it. 

I only needed to buy a cooker so that as delivered next day. Washing machine was delivered saturday and internet was sorted pretty quick after a slight hiccup.

All in all its been as stress free as possible i reckon. Back to work today (from home on my new desk with gaming pc in view also)

Bills all sorted, council tax sorted, TV license paid. 

Kids are loving it, couldnt be happier

Great news. Sounds like things falling into place! Here's to loadsa happy memories and joy . All the best 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I am pleased to announce that my mortgage valuation came back as exactly what I am paying, no need to input any extra cash. We move onto the next step!

Brilliant :appl:  

Came back quite quickly too.

Once the searches and any enquiries from those are returned, is the next step signing the contract and then setting a completion date?

I've failed miserably to get any indicative timescales from our Solicitor, once the searches and enquiries from those are returned what has been peoples experience of timescale to complete?

Our searches came back last week, all clear, one minor enquiry regarding a nearby public footpath. Hoping our vendors have their searches back this week, that's the end of the chain.

Another question, in the current climate, are contracts being signed in person or are any Solicitors accepting electronic signatures, doing it by post etc?

33 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Once the searches and any enquiries from those are returned, is the next step signing the contract and then setting a completion date?

I've failed miserably to get any indicative timescales from our Solicitor, once the searches and enquiries from those are returned what has been peoples experience of timescale to complete?

Our searches came back last week, all clear, one minor enquiry regarding a nearby public footpath. Hoping our vendors have their searches back this week, that's the end of the chain.

Another question, in the current climate, are contracts being signed in person or are any Solicitors accepting electronic signatures, doing it by post etc?

So for me once the searches were completed i received my contract in the post. Signed and sent back next day delivery. There were no face to face meetings held. Only to pick up the keys from the estate agent

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

So for me once the searches were completed i received my contract in the post. Signed and sent back next day delivery. There were no face to face meetings held. Only to pick up the keys from the estate agent

Do you recall the duration which elapsed between searches completing and signing contracts plus the exchange?

11 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Do you recall the duration which elapsed between searches completing and signing contracts plus the exchange?

I started the process on January 18th. There was some confusion with the initial stages as the documents were originally set up for a different house. So i had to sort out the documents moving to the correct address before the searches started. The 1st search i got confirmation of was on 10th Feb which was Environment. The 12th Feb saw the completion of the water search.

Local search was on 25th February. At this point i was only waiting for the mining search. I heard nothing for a couple of weeks so i chased up and turned out i didnt need the mining search based on the results of the Environment search. Then it was a case of going back and forth regarding some of the mortgage paper work. Once happy they sent out my contract on March 23rd. I received and sent back on 24th and they updated the tracker on 25th March. At that point we were good to go for the move on 29th March.

So first search was completed 10th Feb and keys exchanged and i moved in March 29th. A quick turnaround as we had no chain. We were FTB and the couple who sold their house moved into a vacated bungalow. It felt like ages but looking back it was pretty quick. It could have been quicker though if my solicitor didnt ask for unnecessary confirmations from my mortgage lender.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @kingcarr21 this gives me encouragement we could complete and move sometime in May, hopefully. Our offer was accepted 12th Feb and our vendors onward offer was accepted on 26th February. Our chain is fairly simple too, our buyers are in rented, our vendors are buying from a couple moving in with family. No-one in the chain is having a mortgage, so no delays there. I am hoping for an update on our vendors position regarding searches this week.

3 hours ago, sdb said:

Are house prices off the scale in Leicester too? 

No different to elsewhere as far as I can see…. Market still racing away…

New house prices are likely to inflate too as material to build them are tripling in some areas (timber for example)

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

No different to elsewhere as far as I can see…. Market still racing away…

New house prices are likely to inflate too as material to build them are tripling in some areas (timber for example)

Depends on the area and type of homes to be honest. It's region specific, even town by town. Yes, some areas prices obviously up since last year, others, agents trying to jump on the bandwagon to inflate prices but not selling. 

I've put in pre covid prices as offers, around 7-8% below current asking. Not getting accepted though as vendors want to stick with their asking, which they are perfectly entitled to, but after 7 weeks on the market, you wonder why they and agents don't put them on at realistic prices, again, specific to particular towns.

Edited by newfox1