Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bluefoxtim

Houses

15 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Thanks @kingcarr21 this gives me encouragement we could complete and move sometime in May, hopefully. Our offer was accepted 12th Feb and our vendors onward offer was accepted on 26th February. Our chain is fairly simple too, our buyers are in rented, our vendors are buying from a couple moving in with family. No-one in the chain is having a mortgage, so no delays there. I am hoping for an update on our vendors position regarding searches this week.

I would like to think your transaction would be quicker if no mortgages involved. I would say May is a sound bet. Maybe early May

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sdb said:

Are house prices off the scale in Leicester too? 

I think so. As an incredibly nosey person I always have a look on RM of the houses on the market in and around my area (LFE/New Lubbesthorpe)

They are absolutely mental. So many houses in LFE in excess of £500k are just sitting there, all the while as more and more houses of the same price stack up on the market. Al of them reduced bit by bit with (seemingly) little interest.

Where I live there are two houses within about 100ft of each other that went up. One for £425k and the other went up for £410k. They're now both down to £390k and £399k. Neither of them are as big as our house, and we bought ours for about £50k less than these are up for. It's mad.

Still some horrific pricing for new houses, too. In New Lubbesthorpe this three bed terrace I've shown before at £315k is now down to £280k. It's built and ready to be occupied, but I mean... £280k!?

Meanwhile, this ex showhome in the same place has just gone onto the market for £290k(!!!!!)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I think so. As an incredibly nosey person I always have a look on RM of the houses on the market in and around my area (LFE/New Lubbesthorpe)

They are absolutely mental. So many houses in LFE in excess of £500k are just sitting there, all the while as more and more houses of the same price stack up on the market. Al of them reduced bit by bit with (seemingly) little interest.

Where I live there are two houses within about 100ft of each other that went up. One for £425k and the other went up for £410k. They're now both down to £390k and £399k. Neither of them are as big as our house, and we bought ours for about £50k less than these are up for. It's mad.

Still some horrific pricing for new houses, too. In New Lubbesthorpe this three bed terrace I've shown before at £315k is now down to £280k. It's built and ready to be occupied, but I mean... £280k!?

Meanwhile, this ex showhome in the same place has just gone onto the market for £290k(!!!!!)

My dad's had a mare. Sold his place for 500 about 10 months ago, and saw his dream place for 550. It was due to go through at NY and then his buyers solicitors forgot some fire place safety check. Two week delay. Someone in the chain then gets terminal cancer and his seller decides to pull out. Dad is too loyal to let down his buyer, in the meantime house prices (in Cornwall) have absolutely rocketed and he can't afford anything like what he wanted (or currently has!). He's got to move out by the end of this month with nowhere to go. You're literally looking at 3 bed semis for approx 600k where he was previously buying. Depressing.

11 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

They are absolutely mental. So many houses in LFE in excess of £500k are just sitting there, all the while as more and more houses of the same price stack up on the market

I bet without even looking there are loads on the David Wilson estate that people can’t get rid of. They’d have flown off about 6/7 years ago but I’d imagine far too expensive now for what they are really. 

10 hours ago, Manini said:

I bet without even looking there are loads on the David Wilson estate that people can’t get rid of. They’d have flown off about 6/7 years ago but I’d imagine far too expensive now for what they are really. 

Yep, FHL area. Lots of them are starting to look their age now. One has recently been bought and they've clearly spent a bucket load on the front of the house, extension, garages etc, but that's what a lot of those places need. Huge investment on top of the half a mill to buy the place in the first place!

On 07/04/2021 at 08:38, kingcarr21 said:

I would like to think your transaction would be quicker if no mortgages involved. I would say May is a sound bet. Maybe early May

Finally, got an update from our Solicitor, they've said it usually takes 8 - 12 weeks from them receiving the draft contact, which they received on March 16th. If we don't need to wait for mortgage processing, hopefully it'll be closer to 8. Our vendors have had their searches back this week too.

And our Solicitor confirmed they'll mail the contracts to us. Which saves time and about £500 on travel costs :D

18 hours ago, Manini said:

7 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Yep, FHL area. Lots of them are starting to look their age now. One has recently been bought and they've clearly spent a bucket load on the front of the house, extension, garages etc, but that's what a lot of those places need. Huge investment on top of the half a mill to buy the place in the first place!

Lack of driveway and garage always put me off new builds, that and the 20-30% premium you pay as well. Some are bloody lovely though, I enjoyed looking around them.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Lack of driveway and garage always put me off new builds, that and the 20-30% premium you pay as well. Some are bloody lovely though, I enjoyed looking around them.

We’ve just bought a new build. We basically had the discussion of would we rather pay less and put some money aside to do a place up, or spend next to no money on the place and enjoy it and start living straight away but pay the premium, but also have the security of the warranty for the first 2 years and 10 years after that. We went with the latter purely based on work commitments and time and stuff.

Part of me does wish we’d have considered older, more settled houses but we’re happy with our choice so far, no regrets at all. Snagging and living on a building site is a pain in the arse. You know stuff is going to be sorted as soon as it goes wrong but it’s still disconcerting seeing the plaster on your walls start to go and stuff like that. All part and parcel of the experience though I suppose and everything will sort itself out in the end. 

Congrats on finally getting somewhere with your buy as well mate, made up for you it sounds like a right slog up to this point. 

• Thanks 1

So I've been in my new house for about 3 weeks now and want to renovate it asap (new kitchen and bathroom, redecorate throughout), but the bathroom is tiny and I've only just noticed how the landing seems to be pretty much a waste of space. Any builders on here (or recommendations) as to whether this plan is plausible, and a rough cost? Located in Sileby

Screenshot-2021-04-09-at-12-06-49.jpg

I'm getting a new combi boiler soon so the airing cupboard will be redundant. I want to remove this to make more space for the 2nd bedroom. I'd really like to make the bathroom bigger by sacrificing the landing, although this will also require alterations to the staircase. The walls upstairs are solid brick, however they are not directly above walls on the ground floor so I don't think they're load bearing, which hopefully makes things easier. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

8 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

So I've been in my new house for about 3 weeks now and want to renovate it asap (new kitchen and bathroom, redecorate throughout), but the bathroom is tiny and I've only just noticed how the landing seems to be pretty much a waste of space. Any builders on here (or recommendations) as to whether this plan is plausible, and a rough cost? Located in Sileby

I'm getting a new combi boiler soon so the airing cupboard will be redundant. I want to remove this to make more space for the 2nd bedroom. I'd really like to make the bathroom bigger by sacrificing the landing, although this will also require alterations to the staircase. The walls upstairs are solid brick, however they are not directly above walls on the ground floor so I don't think they're load bearing, which hopefully makes things easier. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

The walls upstairs being brick means they probably support the ceiling joists over. So you won't be able to remove them without some structural works . (i'm guessing its a 1930's build). It will involve installing a steel/timber beam at ceiling level which will be fairly minor works. The airing cupboard can be removed without issue unless it strangely follows to ground floor in masonry.

To check your stairs work you can use the following tool - https://www.stairbox.com/

You may find that your existing stairs are not building regs compliant, so I would match the goings and risers to your existing stair or you will find you don't have the roof to the staircase in.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Will that turn not mean a boxed in understairs into your downstairs living space?

1 hour ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

That would be a really claustrophobic landing, like a level from Takeshi's Castle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

That would be a really claustrophobic landing, like a level from Takeshi's Castle

That was going to be my comment as well (about being claustrophobic at least!) it reminds me of a house that we viewed, and the landing really put me off. Something to consider if reducing the size of the landing is how easy it will be to move furniture about. Often that landing space is really important when dealing with things like wardrobes and mattresses as you need that space for pivoting the furniture. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Yeah, you have a good point. The trouble is the bathroom at the moment is really claustrophobic and I'm trying to weigh up what to do, and in what order. The bathroom is about 2x2m and currently is toilet/sink/bath squeezed in next to each other. I never use a bath, always shower so I suppose I can make the bathroom a bit more spacious by swapping out the bath for a walk-in shower, but I feel even then it'll still be pretty pokey. Hmm

Thanks for the advice everyone

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yeah, you have a good point. The trouble is the bathroom at the moment is really claustrophobic and I'm trying to weigh up what to do, and in what order. The bathroom is about 2x2m and currently is toilet/sink/bath squeezed in next to each other. I never use a bath, always shower so I suppose I can make the bathroom a bit more spacious by swapping out the bath for a walk-in shower, but I feel even then it'll still be pretty pokey. Hmm

Thanks for the advice everyone

A decent plumber should be able to reconfigure it and make it feel bright and airy. 

In current restrictions, what is considered a high or low amount of viewings? Have a video on rightmove but only had 4 viewings in person since it was listed almost 2 weeks albeit there was Easter. Concerned its quite low and also that there are a lot of crap properties coming on the market in our area that are lower in price, which is annoying.

Edited by Nalis

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Homebuyers report/survey has been booked and I've paid the deposit for the solicitors, so hopefully things get moving now. Would be nice to be in for late July/early August, but we'll see what happens.

Excellent. I only thought this morning there'd been no updates on here for a while.

The waiting is tiresome. We think the searches and subsequent enquiries are done for us. Our next stage of waiting is for the contract report.

On 15/04/2021 at 13:58, FoyleFox said:

The waiting is tiresome. We think the searches and subsequent enquiries are done for us. Our next stage of waiting is for the contract report.

And after no updates, we have a contract and transfer deed arrive today :D

• Like 3

Kind of along this subject but wasn't sure where else to post - does anyone know how to get in touch with or find out who the landlord of a house is?

We're having issues with our neighbours who currently rent the property out, we need some repairs done to the fencing in between our gardens however the estate agency that let out the property are useless and never get back to us, and when they do they say the landlord hasn't got back to them but this has been going on for months now. The tenants are nice enough people but their English isn't great, they won't call the estate agents themselves for some reason and they don't have the actual landlords details.

At a bit of a loss with where to start.

7 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Kind of along this subject but wasn't sure where else to post - does anyone know how to get in touch with or find out who the landlord of a house is?

We're having issues with our neighbours who currently rent the property out, we need some repairs done to the fencing in between our gardens however the estate agency that let out the property are useless and never get back to us, and when they do they say the landlord hasn't got back to them but this has been going on for months now. The tenants are nice enough people but their English isn't great, they won't call the estate agents themselves for some reason and they don't have the actual landlords details.

At a bit of a loss with where to start.

You can obtain details on Property owners through the Land Registry.

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

On 26/04/2021 at 11:12, Samilktray said:

Anyone have any experience of living in Ratby? (Apologies if it’s already been asked in this thread) 

Lived in Ratby for the last 24 years. Can't really fault anything with the village. If you have kids the local primary school is good & the high school ( Brookvale, Groby ) is also pretty good. Plenty of countryside around the village for walks etc , The Burroughs, Martinshaw Woods & The Ivanhoe Trail all good if you like the outdoors. 3 pubs in the village if you like a drink. Usual shops for a village, Post Office, Co-op etc. We 've never had any real issues with anti-social behaviour, no more than any village of a similar size .  The Motorway / A46 junction is very near if you require them for travel to work. The Motorway being near, does however bring one disadvantage, that is traffic noise, some of the newer houses are built pretty close to the Motorway & I suppose to some the constant hum off traffic could be annoying, having said that we are fairly close & it doesn't bother me.  I think you just get used to it. I definitely don't regret moving to Ratby. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

On 26/04/2021 at 11:12, Samilktray said:

Anyone have any experience of living in Ratby? (Apologies if it’s already been asked in this thread) 

Cousin lived there for years and I always went round so I'm familiar with it. Out of the way but close to everything if you get what I mean, motorways and all the A roads that go through Leicester. Nice little village, good schools but as Steve555 said you can usually hear traffic noise and as it's a run through occasionally you get some traffic at peak times.

Close to other nice places like Desford, Groby, LFE and Kirby Muxloe too.

On 09/04/2021 at 12:15, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

If that wall is structural and you can gain an extra 900mm from the hall simply place a stud wall in front and use it the gap between the new stud wall and the original wall as a walk in shower?

I’ll draw a picture of you can’t understand what I’m blathering on about!

edit: just a view - a nice landing is luxury…. A nice bathroom is a necessity!

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 1