Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

Community Shield - Buildup

Community Shield  

384 members have voted

1. 1. What does the match mean to you?

• It's a meaningless friendly but a nice day out a Wembley
    • It's not massively important, but it's mostly important as a benchmark for the season ahead
    • It's a huge game, on the same level as say, the League cup final

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's viewed as a nothing game by a lot of people, me for one. I'm only going for a day out. I don't think I've watched a charity/community shield for about 20 years. I'm surprised but not shocked to be honest, holiday time, people away and not got the cash. It's on a Sunday, so if you want a booze you probably want the next day off work.

True, but the pull of Wembley alone should be enough imo.

We've not played there for 16 years, never played at the current Wembley and who knows when we'll next be doing so.

It's not like we're regular Wembley visitors.

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's viewed as a nothing game by a lot of people, me for one. I'm only going for a day out. I don't think I've watched a charity/community shield for about 20 years. I'm surprised but not shocked to be honest, holiday time, people away and not got the cash. It's on a Sunday, so if you want a booze you probably want the next day off work.

I'm shocked.

It's our first visit to the new Wembley and it's against Man Utd. I'd expect us to sell out if it was the JPT final.

We have a pretty big fanbase in general, certainly big enough to take less than our average home crowd.

There may be a lot of strange coincidental reasons why loads of people aren't bothered but this is well out of character for us as a club.

Just now, Kitchandro said:

I'm shocked.

It's our first visit to the new Wembley and it's against Man Utd. I'd expect us to sell out if it was the JPT final.

We have a pretty big fanbase in general, certainly big enough to take less than our average home crowd.

There may be a lot of strange coincidental reasons why loads of people aren't bothered but this is well out of character for us as a club.

It's the abysmal ticketing system.

We've got about 27k unique season ticket holders/members. That relies on them all wanting to go to sell out.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

It's the abysmal ticketing system.

We've got about 27k unique season ticket holders/members. That relies on them all wanting to go to sell out.

Not like the club to embarrass us, eh.

10 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

True, but the pull of Wembley alone should be enough imo.

We've not played there for 16 years, never played at the current Wembley and who knows when we'll next be doing so.

It's not like we're regular Wembley visitors.

Going to Wembley doesn't mean anything for this game to me, so I'm sure others feel the same. I honestly feel no different about this game as I did playing some league one side pre-season last year.

Anyway, the ticketing system has obviously been dreadful, I'm sure we'd have got more than enough people wanting tickets had it not been left so late for general sale.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Going to Wembley doesn't mean anything for this game to me, so I'm sure others feel the same. I honestly feel no different about this game as I did playing some league one side pre-season last year.

Anyway, the ticketing system has obviously been dreadful, I'm sure we'd have got more than enough people wanting tickets had it not been left so late for general sale.

Wembley is everything to me about this game! If it were being played at home, I almost certainly wouldn't bother. It's a day out at Wembley - my first visit to the "new" stadium.

The ticket sale does seem to have been very protracted. I can't even remember when they went on sale now, but it seems ages ago. 

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Wembley is everything to me about this game! If it were being played at home, I almost certainly wouldn't bother. It's a day out at Wembley - my first visit to the "new" stadium.

The ticket sale does seem to have been very protracted. I can't even remember when they went on sale now, but it seems ages ago. 

Maybe it's because I've been down there loads of times in the last few years. I was only there a few weeks ago for a gig, so it doesn't hold the mystery it did for me as a kid. I'm just going for the all dayer lol

Just now, Babylon said:

Maybe it's because I've been down there loads of times in the last few years. I was only there a few weeks ago for a gig, so it doesn't hold the mystery it did for me as a kid. I'm just going for the all dayer lol

Last time I was there, I remember walking out on a draughty Februray evening having watched us beat Tranmere in the League Cup final and wondering when we'd be back.

I'm looking forward to the day out, sharing the experience with my eight year old son, a few beers and staying over on Sunday night. The actual match is almost an irrlevance IMO.

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'm only going because it's Wembley lol

SPORTSNET STAFF   AUGUST 1, 2016, 10:04 AM

Watch Manchester United vs. Leicester City in the Community Shield from London's Wembley Stadium live on Sportsnet World and online at Sportsnet World NOW on Sunday, August 7. Coverage starts at 11:00 am ET.

Archived