Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ithuriel

Sky TV, broadband, packages etc.,

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I've sat in two friends houses this year with them and all their details and phoned up and  reduced their bills with more services and new equipment by between £20-40 a month.

lol I have had to do this over the years for all family members and the inlaws, I absolutely love doing it and have always enjoyed the haggling process, find it much easier now you are able to do it via the online chat but finding the right team can be a pain.

A while back chatting to a chap on the chat at Sky we got talking about all sorts, sport, food, the University his kids are going to etc. Started speaking to him just before 7pm (when he was offering six month half price sport and movies)  and ended up talking until his shift ended at 10pm lol when as if by magic he did 12 months half price on the full package including phone and internet.

6 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Sky keep coming back with 60% off offers.  lol

Why would I sign up for a 12 month contract with 60% off just to watch Game of Thrones for 7 weeks of the year? 

No ta, I'll just stick with BT, Netflix and a little black box as and when required.

Sky's content is so bad, I don't understand why anyone would sign up too it with the other options now available.

Just now, Strokes said:

Sky's content is so bad, I don't understand why anyone would sign up too it with the other options now available.

I would have stuck with Sky and be more than happy to pay for the service if there was a way to pick and choose what you want and what you pay for.  Too much though is a bad thing - there just isn't enough time in the day to watch everything available and consider it value for money.

BT TV is the cheapest option - its cost me £10 a month since September last year for their full TV package.  I jumped ship to get the champions league football initially and thought I would hate it coming from Sky, but if anything it's on a par or better when you compare the cost.  They've pushed the price up to £14 from this year, but that's still pretty cheap in comparison to either the whole lot and more with Sky, or the whole lot minus Sky Atlantic with Virgin.  BT Infinity 2, line rental, phone addons and BT TV is roughly £65 all in per month. 

22 hours ago, sdb said:

My bill has shot up about £30 again over the year. I pay over £100 a month for sky with all the sports channels, HD and the box sets. No movies. Also get broadband with that. 

Am am I being ripped off? I was paying £75 a month a year ago, which is hardly cheap. 

Can anyone give me a barometer of how much I'm being screwed?! 

Went through a similar thing myself with Sky. We originally had it half price for a year due to my wife working in the NHS. It then shot up and I paid full whack for 6 months before going back to them and seeing what they could do.

I made up a bullshit lie about being offered a better deal elsewhere. They didn't budge so I cancelled my subscription. Within 48 hours they called me back pretty much begging me to stay. Cut a long story short I now pay £35 a month for full package including HD.

coming up to the end of my 12 month package with sky and i'm leaving! 

I'm not too fussed about the TV stuff now but their Broadband has been awful compared to Virgin.

Will either go back to virgin or try BT if i can get infinity in my area

• 4 months later...

All this broadband/landline/TV packages are doing my nut in.

Currently got Sky basic TV package (Original?) including one extra multiroom plus Sky Broadband plus Landline (anytime) = £72 a month.

Decided to ditch the tv package (£34.20) a month and buy a FreeSat recorder box.

I just got persuaded by a SKY rep to keep the TV package, ditch the multiroom and upgrade to broadband fibre = £53 for 18 months.

Is that a good offer ?? I've got a 30 day cooling off period. :dunno:

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

All this broadband/landline/TV packages are doing my nut in.

Currently got Sky basic TV package (Original?) including one extra multiroom plus Sky Broadband plus Landline (anytime) = £72 a month.

Decided to ditch the tv package (£34.20) a month and buy a FreeSat recorder box.

I just got persuaded by a SKY rep to keep the TV package, ditch the multiroom and upgrade to broadband fibre = £53 for 18 months.

Is that a good offer ?? I've got a 30 day cooling off period. :dunno:

Sounds decent enough.  To compare, I have the top of everything with BT and it comes in at around £65 per month.  I guess you've got to weigh up whether having Sky Atlantic or not is worth it.  For any individual TV series that crop up now and again on there I just use the little black box (eg. GoT/Westworld etc.) :)

16 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Sounds decent enough.  To compare, I have the top of everything with BT and it comes in at around £65 per month.  I guess you've got to weigh up whether having Sky Atlantic or not is worth it.  For any individual TV series that crop up now and again on there I just use the little black box (eg. GoT/Westworld etc.) :)

Right, decision made.

Cancelled Sky (TV, Broadband, Landline).

Gone for BT Broadband Infinity and landline (saving £13 a month) and will also get a voucher for £125 that I'll use to pay towards a Humax Freesat recorder box.

Probably get a Now TV box and pay-as-you-go Sky Sports pass as required.

Gone from £72 to £33 a month for basically the same thing.

Edited by Spudulike

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Right, decision made.

Cancelled Sky (TV, Broadband, Landline).

Gone for BT Broadband Infinity and landline (saving £13 a month) and will also get a voucher for £125 that I'll use to pay towards a Humax Freesat recorder box.

Probably get a Now TV box and pay-as-you-go Sky Sports pass as required.

Gone from £72 to £33 a month for basically the same thing.

Have you looked at Vodafone broadband? It uses the same fibre network as BT but it's cheaper... 

I'm moving out soon and taking sky TV with me (I'm in a contract at 40%off so £30 a month for basic and sports although that's not HD)

I'm thinking of getting Sky broadband too for new place. Is it worth it? Is their broadband good? And is it possible to haggle the broadband side like TV?

Also on a different question... Anyone have Vodafone broadband? Again,  how good is it etc? Just less known than others despite offering faster speeds at good prices 

1 minute ago, peterborofox said:

I'm moving out soon and taking sky TV with me (I'm in a contract at 40%off so £30 a month for basic and sports although that's not HD)

I'm thinking of getting Sky broadband too for new place. Is it worth it? Is their broadband good? And is it possible to haggle the broadband side like TV?

Also on a different question... Anyone have Vodafone broadband? Again,  how good is it etc? Just less known than others despite offering faster speeds at good prices 

I pay £70 a month for everything no charge for standard non fibre broadband and all the HD SKY channels and telephone line. Started at £55 per month, went up to £100, renegotiated permenantly at £70 for the lot.

We live rurally and had terrible internet speeds so we got sky a year or so ago as it was the only way to get good content.

Then fast internet came to our area - we have prime already for fast deliveries and got Netflix... and all of a sudden Sky seems a massive rip off even with the 50% off discount. 

I live in scotland so watching leicester on tv is important to me... but so few games are on it’s not worth paying for both sky sports and bt sport when... there are other ways of watching the games. 

So we cancelled - got loads of offers from them but none seem worth it. Free view channels still work on the sky box for us. 

If Netflix + Prime is c£15 a month how can even the best sky deals be good value? They’ll have to move with the times soon surely. 

Edited by Monk
  • Like 2

We've just moved and our broadband speed is now appalling. It's got to the point where if one person is streaming a video, even things like loading twitter on your phone is slow and quicker to switch to 4g. Going to have to jump to fibre I think but will need to leave sky as the price for unlimited usage is just way too much!! 

• Like 1