Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

4 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

statistically 

was one of the better players, but with 45 touches for a midfielder i suspect his team mates dont feel confident in him either

Untitled-2.jpg

Thank you. That's more a post worth reading. It would be interesting now to compare the number of touches Amartey had with those other central midfielders had across the Prem today. If you consider that Drinkwater had 76 touches in today's game, you can statistically see the player that nie on the whole game is coming through. Which again makes me ask, what purpose is Amartey providing to the team? Defensively to not concede goals (absolutely not!), assists?goals? Key passes made? Etc...

Drinkwater is doing too much work.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

Guest CityFan 06

At 21 years of age he's been put straight into the team this season expected to fulfil a Kante type role. Now, he's been in England less than a year, and he's not only adapting to English football, but he's also adapting at the highest level playing against some of the world's elite midfielders. It's a lot to take in for a young player, he needs time.

Amartey should still feature for me because some games he is excellent (Swansea [H] prime example). But when Mendy is back, who is a quality CDM I might add, I'm hoping his sheer presence in training and competitive matches will really aid Daniel's progression/development as a midfielder. I'm not suggesting Mendy is a naturally tough tackling CDM, but what he has got is an excellent balance of defensive ability and vision. Attributes which Amartey could certainly benefit from.

1 minute ago, ImBlue said:

I assume in that case you're bashing each individual player in individual threads? 

Good work

Look back and see if I'm bashing each individual player?

Youre not making any argument worth reading whatsoever in this thread. Just banging on about Amartey's age.

Try to be more interesting and to make an argument other than that one. I agree with you. He's been thrust in too quickly. Move on to something else.

16 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

statistically 

was one of the better players, but with 45 touches for a midfielder i suspect his team mates dont feel confident in him either

Untitled-2.jpg

Some of those passing accuracies O_O Almost every second pass Albrighton and Simpson did failed. 

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Youre not making any argument worth reading whatsoever in this thread. Just banging on about Amartey's age.

Try to be more interesting and to make an argument other than that one. I agree with you. He's been thrust in too quickly. Move on to something else.

I think the point is that he's not THE obvious problem in the side. Firstly because there isn't a single 'obvious problem', and secondly because he's actually playing better than some of those around him. If people have mentioned his age, it's probably because certain people are dismissing him as 'rubbish', 'garbage' or 'as bad as Junior Lewis', when - in spite of being younger than many of his much-loved colleagues, and therefore perhaps needing a little more patience from fans - he's actually not one of our most obvious weaknesses. If we start to imagine that he is, and therefore gloss over the shortcomings of other players, then we'll never get anywhere near the solution.

Some people are so desperate to look for what he isn't offering us, that they fail to notice that - of today's starting eleven - nobody was noticeably any better than him. That's why people are questioning the amount of attention you, and lots of others, are placing on Amartey.

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Says cattermole is better, then tells people to move on? 

The irony. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I think the point is that he's not THE obvious problem in the side. Firstly because there isn't a single 'obvious problem', and secondly because he's actually playing better than some of those around him. If people have mentioned his age, it's probably because certain people are dismissing him as 'rubbish', 'garbage' or 'as bad as Junior Lewis', when - in spite of being younger than many of his much-loved colleagues, and therefore perhaps needing a little more patience from fans - he's actually not one of our most obvious weaknesses. If we start to imagine that he is, and therefore gloss over the shortcomings of other players, then we'll never get anywhere near the solution.

Some people are so desperate to look for what he isn't offering us, that they fail to notice that - of today's starting eleven - nobody was noticeably any better than him. That's why people are questioning the amount of attention you, and lots of others, are placing on Amartey.

I'm 'moving on from I'm Blue' cos he's offering nothing to the debate and knows it I suggest,

This thread is about Amartey mate. And I'm giving my view. You're right. They are all dreadful at present. But so too is Amartey. And this is the Amartey thread. I've posted other, more general, opinions in the post match thread.

Hank Marvin hit the nail on the head. For a central midfielder to have had so few touches in a game implies he's not being given he ball, nor winning it.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I'm 'moving on from I'm Blue' cos he's offering nothing to the debate and knows it I suggest,

This thread is about Amartey mate. And I'm giving my view. You're right. They are all dreadful at present. But so too is Amartey. And this is the Amartey thread. I've posted other, more general, opinions in the post match thread.

Hank Marvin hit the nail on the head. For a central midfielder to have had so few touches in a game implies he's not being given he ball, nor winning it.

I appreciate that, but it doesn't change the fact that there are far more posts about the inadequacies of Daniel Amartey tonight - from yourself and others - than there are about Christian Fuchs, Robert Huth, Wes Morgan, Danny Drinkwater, Marc Albrighton, Riyad Mahrez, Jamie Vardy, Shinji Okazaki and Ahmed Musa.

I was also giving my view, which is that he's a young midfielder who isn't noticeably worse than ANY of our more established regulars. He has to try to be N'Golo Kante, one of the best midfielders in the world. That's bound to demand more of him than it is of Danny Drinkwater to just be Danny Drinkwater, Wes Morgan to be Wes Morgan, Jamie Vardy to be Jamie Vardy and so on. My argument where he's concerned isn't far from my argument where Jeff Schlupp is concerned, that he's a promising player (possibly much more promising than Schlupp) who needs a bit of belief and recognition to come from our direction.

Some of those passing accuracies O_O Almost every second pass Albrighton and Simpson did failed. 

Well Simpson is an awful footballer who has somehow made it as a right back. What do you expect?

Albrighton is understandable though as he plays lots of long balls and crosses, many of which aren't perfect, but you shouldn't expect them all to be.

47 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

I appreciate that, but it doesn't change the fact that there are far more posts about the inadequacies of Daniel Amartey tonight - from yourself and others - than there are about Christian Fuchs, Robert Huth, Wes Morgan, Danny Drinkwater, Marc Albrighton, Riyad Mahrez, Jamie Vardy, Shinji Okazaki and Ahmed Musa.

I was also giving my view, which is that he's a young midfielder who isn't noticeably worse than ANY of our more established regulars. He has to try to be N'Golo Kante, one of the best midfielders in the world. That's bound to demand more of him than it is of Danny Drinkwater to just be Danny Drinkwater, Wes Morgan to be Wes Morgan, Jamie Vardy to be Jamie Vardy and so on. My argument where he's concerned isn't far from my argument where Jeff Schlupp is concerned, that he's a promising player (possibly much more promising than Schlupp) who needs a bit of belief and recognition to come from our direction.

I hear you....but I've always made it absolutely clear how I see success and failure of football teams being based around the midfield. Kante epitomized this last season, possibly to the greatest degree there's ever been? We had a team that had looked shaky defensively and weak offensively, under Pearson, right up until the great escape. Pearson finally learnt to add the extra body in midfield, confidence grew (I think stemming from the West Brom away win) and off we went.

Then we employed Kante, he took time to settle in it then became clear we had the best midfield in the division. The defence stopped conceding daft goals, the strikers started scoring goals. I believe Drinkwater grew in stature by playing alongside a player who he just knew he could rely on. The defence were under much less pressure because Kante stopped opposition attacks further up the field...and the rest is history.

We've lost Kante (and basically retained everyone else) and just look at the difference. The defence again look shocking, the strikers are getting no service and Vardy and Mahrez look like completely different players. Completely different.

Drinkwater clearly doesn't trust Amartey..hence he's trying to do absolutely everything.

The midfield in any successful team is paramount. A good one is the engine room. It enables teams to get forward quickly and to regroup when going backwards.

Ours, this season, is poor. And it shows dramatically not only on our results, but on our overall play.

• Like 1

I found him better than usual to be honest. He made some good tackles and also did try to pass the ball forward. But his positioning is still woeful and he has bricks instead of feet. His first touch and shoot technique are terrible. I know you can't expect from him to kill a 50 yard pass dead but he's one of the less technically gifted midfielders I've ever seen at this level. Just look at him running with the ball or TO the ball.

Edited by ZeGuy

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I hear you....but I've always made it absolutely clear how I see success and failure of football teams being based around the midfield. Kante epitomized this last season, possibly to the greatest degree there's ever been? We had a team that had looked shaky defensively and weak offensively, under Pearson, right up until the great escape. Pearson finally learnt to add the extra body in midfield, confidence grew (I think stemming from the West Brom away win) and off we went.

Then we employed Kante, he took time to settle in it then became clear we had the best midfield in the division. The defence stopped conceding daft goals, the strikers started scoring goals. I believe Drinkwater grew in stature by playing alongside a player who he just knew he could rely on. The defence were under much less pressure because Kante stopped opposition attacks further up the field...and the rest is history.

We've lost Kante (and basically retained everyone else) and just look at the difference. The defence again look shocking, the strikers are getting no service and Vardy and Mahrez look like completely different players. Completely different.

Drinkwater clearly doesn't trust Amartey..hence he's trying to do absolutely everything.

The midfield in any successful team is paramount. A good one is the engine room. It enables teams to get forward quickly and to regroup when going backwards.

Ours, this season, is poor. And it shows dramatically not only on our results, but on our overall play.

Well I agree with pretty much all of that. But I'm not sure Drinkwater was all that hot last week next to King either, and I don't think his recent poor form excuses the longer-lasting poor form of Vardy, Mahrez, Huth or Morgan, among others. Or the new signings failing to make the grade, as of yet.

That Drinkwater preferred Kante to Amartey I don't doubt. Anyone would. And yes, that critical difference between two players may explain some of Drinkwater's shortcomings. But Drinkwater also bears responsibility for that, and lots of other players should take responsibility for their woeful form. Amartey is still getting a disproportionate amount of attention, especially when you consider that he's often outperforming some of those colleagues who don't have post-after-post outlining their weaknesses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

statistically 

I think that's fair. I saw him offering himself as an option more than once and being overlooked, and I think some of that - and some of his good pass completion stats also - are down to him often playing the safe ball, or going backwards. I think this has often been the case in previous games too, so his teammates don't see him as the best attack-minded option. But, that said, he did attempt to play a few more positive balls today and some of them were good ones. He should be encouraged to develop that side of his game more.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Every fickle fan looks for a scapegoat to pick on rather than look at the fact it's a team game.

Its easy to single out one player.

with all due respect I think CR is much more qualified and know much more about individual players to judge if they are good enough to wear the shirt than a fan throwing his toys out of the oram because things are not going out way at the minute.

keep the faith.

Edited by themightyfin

2 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Every fickle fan looks for a scapegoat to pick on rather than look at the fact it's a team game.

Its easy to single out one player.

with all due respect I think CR is much more qualified and knowsmuch more about individual players to judge if they are good enough to wear the shirt than a fan throwing his toys out of the pram because things are not going out way at the minute.

keep the faith.