Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

I'm afraid he offers so little. I keep banging on about this cos I think it's important. Defensively his awareness is sorely lacking and offensively...? What does he offer? He doesn't get forward to shoot, he rarely passes further than 10 yards and he never looks like scoring with his head.

I don't care about his age. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

All I see is a big physical presence with, thus far, a footballer playing at Championship level at best. If not sure if there is a more ineffectual central midfielder in the whole of the Premiership.

If we are going to play Amartey he must be in a central midfield three with the sole responsibility of defending. He's not the answer in a 442.

We should have absolutely pushed the boat out for Idrissa.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Good post, Amartey looks like he was a good buy but he's not the player we need at the moment. When he gets the ball he often looks for Drinkwater to pass to so he can make the "quarterback" pass even if he is in a better position to make that pass. That's not a criticism just an admission that he's not as capable as Drinkwater in that aspect of the game.

Amartey is still only 21 and we have older players in our development squad and I'm sure he'll mature into a good player in a couple of seasons. Also his forte is defensively and we're criticising him for his offensive capabilities. 

For me 4-4-2 with Vardy and Slimani isn't working because we don't get enough possession to justify playing two out and out strikers. I think Ranieri can only afford to play one up top and and maybe rotate them in a horses for courses way or play 4-3-3 with Vardy wide left? I'd like to see us evolve in to a side more comfortable with the ball and I've been very impressed with the Tottenham formation. Get two attacking full backs and play Amartey in the Eric Dier role when his responsibilities are to protect the back four and fill in at centre half when the full backs go forward.

I think this would compliment Amartey's skill set comfortably as he's never going to be an absolute baller like Drinkwater.but he has all the physical assets to be able to defend and he will read the game better as he gets older with more experience.

WE have just lost one of the best box to box midfielders in the world and we have replaced him with a 21 year old with a hand ful of games in the prem.  I agree Amarty may well develop into a good defensive midfielder... but he shouldn't be the butt of our frustration.  I guess we need to understand that with the available players we have then 442 is too tough for us - we are just not meeting the challenges in mid field and hence the consequences.   I believe we must persist with amarty (who else do we have at the moment?) but we should change our system to play five in middle (either one holding.... then three.... and then okizaki; or maybe two and three like Man u did against us). 

WE should recognize  that we need to reorganize - as we do not have the personnel to make 442 work.    WE beak up omore play with Okizaki on the pitch.  While I like hernandez,... last season, Simpson made a lot of saving tackles when huth and wes were exposed. 

Besides reorganizing mid filed, including shinji and simpson we must also sort the corners out!  If we do these things we will improve... maybe not to where we want to be.... but we can only fix the things that we are able to fix... we haven't ' got a new kante.

If we are doing the right things then I won't moan

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I'm afraid he offers so little. I keep banging on about this cos I think it's important. Defensively his awareness is sorely lacking and offensively...? What does he offer? He doesn't get forward to shoot, he rarely passes further than 10 yards and he never looks like scoring with his head.

All I see is a big physical presence with, thus far, a footballer playing at Championship level at best. If not sure if there is a more ineffectual central midfielder in the whole of the Premiership.

you are right - this is where we are at... we must fix what we can right now.  I agree the medium term solution will have to be big spending in january. Or we will still be in this pickle next season.

I don't think Amartey is a problem player. I actually think we have a player who has the potential of being an asset in the defensive midfield role in years to come. The problem is that he is 21 and naturally lacks the know how and experience to adapt to adversity. It is not a surprise that when things are going right he shines but when things seem to fall apart he goes into his shell. He's a kid for God sake with a handful of premier league games behind him. 

I i think we are letting him down at present. We've stuck him in a role and system to replace our most influential player from last year.  That's not easy for any player, let alone for someone with his experience/age. To help him adapt he needs more bodies/experience next to him. A three in midfield would help this. The problem is which three. You can't lose mahrez because he is a match winner. King seems to be off form and Mendy is injured. Vardy up front by himself doesn't really work either. 

8 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

You're right that 4-4-2 doesn't seem to work without Okazaki. I'd be more tempted to start Slimani than Vardy, as it's not as if Vardy has been in good form recently, while at least Slimani has come up with a few goals. I don't think it would be worth playing Vardy out wide, as he just doesn't have the technical ability, and Musa hasn't been particularly dazzling in his cameos either.

I like the idea of 4-3-3, but that'd require 3 CM's, and we barely have 2 at the moment. I'd probably go for the 4-2-3-1. Slimani up top by himself, then Gray, Okazaki and Mahrez behind him, with Drinkwater partnering King/Amartey/Mendy behind them. Okazaki will give us a little more defensive ability (and I think his quick passing/link up play is something that we've been missing), and Gray deserves to be in on merit at the moment.

Only issue would be less pace up top, but most teams seem to be setting up to counter that anyway.

I wouldn't play Vardy out left in a 4-4-2 but he would be an option in a 4-3-3. He played there a lot under Pearson in our first season back up and was successful in that role.

With  Slimani playing up top and Vardy and Mahrez wider it would give us skills, pace and aerial power up top. Going forward though we have to play one forward for our stock formation. Vardy and Slimani can share that role between in a horses for courses way and play them both when we're chasing a goal.

I just hope Ranieri has a long term plan going forward with our formation and isn't just being reactive to problems and trying to shoehorn his best players in the side. I've said before I'd like to see us evolve into a more possession type side with Amartey playing in front of the back four, full backs who are comfortable going forward and want the ball and two centre halves who are flexible to cover full backs. The only defender we have who would be comfortable with this formation is Chilwell and our current back four are a team of stoppers.

• Like 1

Just now, J.Lisemore said:

Seems to play well against the weaker teams, but when it comes to the bigger sides he is very very safe. Sideways passing at its finest, he'd fit in perfectly for England but we're better than that. 

Yea he seems to freeze up in the big games.

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don't think Amartey is a problem player. I actually think we have a player who has the potential of being an asset in the defensive midfield role in years to come. The problem is that he is 21 and naturally lacks the know how and experience to adapt to adversity. It is not a surprise that when things are going right he shines but when things seem to fall apart he goes into his shell. He's a kid for God sake with a handful of premier league games behind him. 

I i think we are letting him down at present. We've stuck him in a role and system to replace our most influential player from last year.  That's not easy for any player, let alone for someone with his experience/age. To help him adapt he needs more bodies/experience next to him. A three in midfield would help this. The problem is which three. You can't lose mahrez because he is a match winner. King seems to be off form and Mendy is injured. Vardy up front by himself doesn't really work either. 

IT is not his fault that we are soo reliant on him.  I think we need to support him - the last thing we need his for him to lose confidence. 

Edited by foxinsocks

All this shit about his just a kid

his 22 in December 

his played over 70 games in Danish football

played premier league and champions league football.

if he is not confident enough now I doubt he ever will be, although I think it's more of know your limitations kind of performances.

pogba 23

mahrez 25

kante 24 making debut for us.

gray 20

when we was shown amartertys highlight reel prior to signing it involved marauding runs from box to box, I'm sure this is the type of player we were expecting yet he plays like he is in a 5 a side keep possession match.

the blokes a unit but appears that he is quite timid for one witch such a big frame.

short passes

tracking players

and a bit of a ball watcher.

hazzard turned him inside out about 3 times in one go yesterday in the second half.

i don't think I have ever seen the bloke make a crunching sliding tackle.

i hope he gets better, but at 22 in a month he certainly isn't a kid anymore 

8 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

All this shit about his just a kid

his 22 in December 

his played over 70 games in Danish football

played premier league and champions league football.

if he is not confident enough now I doubt he ever will be, although I think it's more of know your limitations kind of performances.

pogba 23

mahrez 25

kante 24 making debut for us.

gray 20

when we was shown amartertys highlight reel prior to signing it involved marauding runs from box to box, I'm sure this is the type of player we were expecting yet he plays like he is in a 5 a side keep possession match.

the blokes a unit but appears that he is quite timid for one witch such a big frame.

short passes

tracking players

and a bit of a ball watcher.

hazzard turned him inside out about 3 times in one go yesterday in the second half.

i don't think I have ever seen the bloke make a crunching sliding tackle.

i hope he gets better, but at 22 in a month he certainly isn't a kid anymore 

Absolutely spot on.

His age is an excuse...nothing more.

If we keep having to play this guy, I think we could be in trouble, especially in a 442.

But I don't blame him, I blame the club. Our transfer dealings in the summer window were appalling imo.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Absolutely spot on.

His age is an excuse...nothing more.

If we keep having to play this guy, I think we could be in trouble, especially in a 442.

But I don't blame him, I blame the club. Our transfer dealings in the summer window were appalling imo.

Another of Steve Walsh's brilliant buys.

45 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

If we are going to play Amartey he must be in a central midfield three with the sole responsibility of defending. He's not the answer in a 442.

Harsh Col, very very harsh.

In our home games he has played well, he wasn't accountable for anything in those games, he did his job and did his job well. 

You can't expect all midfielders to get forward and shoot and why does he need to score headers? Kante didn't do any of that so why should Amartey?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when we are the team in control, like we have been in our home games he is a bloody decent player. When we are the team on the back foot and under pressure he struggles to cope. Yesterday he wasn't as bad as he was against Liverpool & Man Utd but you simply can't play him in a two away from home.

Calling him Championship standard, not on Col, not on.

He played well in the games we won, badly in the games we lost. Like almost everyone in the team. 

If everyones fit he probably doesn't start. There are far bigger issues with our key players form. Vardy, Morgan and Huth have been very poor 

Edited by Max Power

While  people are slagging Amartey off, they should think about a number of the more seasoned and experienced players that we have, that are not performing first, before they start on him.

Captain Morgan has been absolutely abysmal this season, Huth is looking like it might be a season to far for him at the moment.

Mahrez has not looked interested  since pre season started, Vardy is looking a shadow of the player of last season, even Fuchs has not seemed to be quite at it for the most part either.

I`ve been one of those that have been supportive of Schlupp in the past, but his performance yesterday was nothing short of shocking, and worse still, he didn`t seem to care either!

That is something that is just not acceptable to me.

In fact with the exception of Drinkwater, there seems to be a dramatic lack of heart and desire, from within the side, which was what we were all about last season.

The pre season programme was appalling, designed more with making money and raising the profile of the club, ahead of actually getting the players match sharp and ready for the season ahead, and the summer recruitment was equally appalling, that has left us short of quality and back up, especially in defence and midfield.

It`s to early to press the panic button yet, but the warning signs are certainly there, and need to be addressed, and the sooner the better!

Looks like we've found the scapegoat for the season then. Such a shame as there are many more senior players in the squad who should be bearing the burden of performances like yesterday. What happened to the leaders at the back in Kasper, Huth, Fuchs, Wes? What happened to our talisman record breaking striker who epitomizes our spirit and hard work? 

But nah, it's much easier to blame a kid who's hardly played for us, playing in a system that leaves him horrifically exposed.

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Looks like we've found the scapegoat for the season then. Such a shame as there are many more senior players in the squad who should be bearing the burden of performances like yesterday. What happened to the leaders at the back in Kasper, Huth, Fuchs, Wes? What happened to our talisman record breaking striker who epitomizes our spirit and hard work? 

But nah, it's much easier to blame a kid who's hardly played for us, playing in a system that leaves him horrifically exposed.

The difference is, the others have at least proven at some point that they're good enough, they're just going through some bloody horrendous form. Amartey hasn't yet proven he's up to the standard, and I've not seen anything that suggests he is good enough.

He's not the scapegoat, he's just one of the many, many things that currently isn't working in our team, and needs sorting. Just because we're saying that his Amartey's performances aren't of the required standard (they're not), it doesn't mean we're saying that the rest of the team are brilliant either.

This just happens to be the Amartey thread....

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, kingfox said:

In our home games he has played well, he wasn't accountable for anything in those games, he did his job and did his job well. 

You can't expect all midfielders to get forward and shoot and why does he need to score headers? Kante didn't do any of that so why should Amartey?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when we are the team in control, like we have been in our home games he is a bloody decent player. When we are the team on the back foot and under pressure he struggles to cope. Yesterday he wasn't as bad as he was against Liverpool & Man Utd but you simply can't play him in a two away from home.

There is simply nothing I see in his overall game...yet...that makes me think he's a Premiership class central midfielder. He does literally play like a player in a 5 a side game. He gives the ball to one of our players immediately. There is no vision, no bursts forward, no defence splitting pass, no shots. He's not an attacking threat from corners  (could be...he's a big bloke). 

From what I've seen so far I'm not being harsh at all. When Cambiasso played in a 442 he scored goals and picked passes. Even James chipped in with a goal or two every so often. And made forward bursts a lot. What is Amartey offering the team? Certainly not defensive quality, we are leaking goals and nothing going forward..we have scored one of the fewest goals in the division.

You tell me.....?

• Like 3

Claudio said in pre-season, we can still play 4-4-2 without Kante but it has to be a different style of 4-4-2. I think what he meant was, having one defensive CM that sits back and, one box to box.

Hopefully Mendy can play that role better than Amartey and has good passing range, but..

With Mendy injured, right now the best partner for Drinkwater is Matty James.

Edited by foxes21

Guest CityFan 06

I think it'd suit him more being the defensive man of a midfield three, with Drinkwater and King/Mendy/Okazaki in front of him. He could be excellent for us in the future with progression in age and experience, and to be honest in some games he looked great already (Swansea & Porto at home standouts). Personally, I feel if we manage to keep him and he wants to stay with the club, he could develop into a real find.

It does concern me that he's been put straight into a handful of games, which would take some adjustment given it's the top level of English football. I think looking back now, it'd of been better if we signed another defensive minded midfielder who he could learn off or be alongside, i.e Gueye or Capoue who would've been ideal for us and our system. He could've of then been gradually introduced like last season where he was learning off Kante.

This gradual easing into the side I mentioned isn't to suggest he isn't good enough or ready enough to play for us, it's just suggesting what would've perhaps worked better is him easing into the side more and more, as opposed to being put in against the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea. 

We have created our own problems really.

We have bought Slimani who is an out and out forward and already have an England striker which means we need to play 2 strikers. I dont think we have an option now. Okazaki spent so much time in midfield for us last season dropping back and plugging gaps and the wide players would bomb on. Oka and Kante also got the ball and ran with it which eased the pressure. Now we are playing 2 out and out FCs and havent got anyone to properly carry the ball out we just seem to be in a muddle of DD lumping it aimlessly or Amartey playing it nice and neat with sideways passes. The whole thing looks disjointed, especially away from home and poor Amartey who IMO does well without being spectacular gets it in the neck.

Being realistic, how many teams play two out and out strikers these days? We are being battered by 451 or 352 sides because we simply havent the numbers in midfield and when we get it we arent as good with the ball as we were last season.

So, do we play 352 ourselves or try a 451 that goes to 433 and only play one striker? Whatever we do away from home, we better learn quickly but IMO Amartey has played well since he got in the team and is showing huge potential.

Still young, and there is plenty of work to be done to his all round game before he's at the level we need him to be at right now. 

Being hung out to dry by Ranieri's persistence in 4-4-2 against the big sides though. Could do a job screening the back 4 in a midfield 3.

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

This. He's been found out against the top sides this season but has been adequate to decent against the lesser sides. What do you expect of a centre mid that plays for Leicester city- last season was a total utter miracle. 

He has looked poor against Chelsea Liverpool Utd but personally blame Ranieri for this. We've gone into each of the 3 games not looking like we have a plan, a decent structure at the back or in midfield and look a shadow of the side we were last season.

With all the short comings of Amartey he's still better than King which is quite a sad indictment of King really. I said this few weeks ago, what is the point of Andy King really at this moment in time? What does he offer? We are in desperate need of a CM and he's not even in contention at all. 

Other than sentimentality, I'm not quite sure why he's still here. I love the guy and he's been a great servant for us, but he's not contributing right now. If we get Adrien or another CM in January and when Mendy gets fit then he slips further down the pecking order.

• Like 1