Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

Kante didn't arrive at Leicester as one of the best box to box midfielders in the world.

Give the lad time, he needs it.

Just, maybe not in a 4-4-2 with the worlds slowest reacting defence behind him.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

There is simply nothing I see in his overall game...yet...that makes me think he's a Premiership class central midfielder. He does literally play like a player in a 5 a side game. He gives the ball to one of our players immediately. There is no vision, no bursts forward, no defence splitting pass, no shots. He's not an attacking threat from corners  (could be...he's a big bloke). 

From what I've seen so far I'm not being harsh at all. When Cambiasso played in a 442 he scored goals and picked passes. Even James chipped in with a goal or two every so often. And made forward bursts a lot. What is Amartey offering the team? Certainly not defensive quality, we are leaking goals and nothing going forward..we have scored one of the fewest goals in the division.

You tell me.....?

In a nut shell

There is simply nothing I see in his overall game...yet...that makes me think he's a Premiership class central midfielder. He does literally play like a player in a 5 a side game. He gives the ball to one of our players immediately. There is no vision, no bursts forward, no defence splitting pass, no shots. He's not an attacking threat from corners  (could be...he's a big bloke). 

From what I've seen so far I'm not being harsh at all. When Cambiasso played in a 442 he scored goals and picked passes. Even James chipped in with a goal or two every so often. And made forward bursts a lot. What is Amartey offering the team? Certainly not defensive quality, we are leaking goals and nothing going forward..we have scored one of the fewest goals in the division.

You tell me.....?

Well thats bullshit about James chipping in with a goal or two. He can't shoot to save his life! lol

11 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

This. He's been found out against the top sides this season but has been adequate to decent against the lesser sides. What do you expect of a centre mid that plays for Leicester city- last season was a total utter miracle. 

He has looked poor against Chelsea Liverpool Utd but personally blame Ranieri for this. We've gone into each of the 3 games not looking like we have a plan, a decent structure at the back or in midfield and look a shadow of the side we were last season.

I've told what I expect of a midfielder playing box to box. I expect both defensive solidity and attacking flair. I expect the odd goal or two, the odd defense splitting pass or two and an aerial threat on set pieces when the bloke is a big lump.

What I don't expect is a bloke who, in your own words, is 'found out against the top sides', especially not to the tune of 13 goals in four games (I'm quite surprised people are taking that so lightly...13 in 4).

I expect the Champions of England to be fielding a pair of central mids who are clearly quality players. Not one of them who is having to do the work of two (actually of four yesterday). That's not expecting too much.

Amartey might improve. I dunno how many times I have to say this....it's NOW that matters. Football is a results business and our results away from home are embarrassing for a Championship winning side. The fault of course is not all Amartey's. It's a team thing. But he ain't helping either going forward or getting back.

If you see it any different to this, then I can't?

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

No it's not. Look back through the stats.

You were on about the first season back in the top flight when he played most of it alongside Cambiasso, he scored precisely no goals. Scored one the season before and I think 2 or 3 in his first season, both in the championship. He's hardly a goal scoring midfielder and he didn't score at all at this level in the season you referenced. Amartey has started, what, 6 games for us, and you saying he doesn't chip in with goal like James, when he's played less games at a higher level and James has never scored at that level. How about we give Amartey 3 season and see if can match James' record?

Oh and James still can shoot for shit, he's terrible in front of goal. He's the last player I'd want the ball dropping to in the penalty area.

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

All this shit about his just a kid

his 22 in December 

his played over 70 games in Danish football

played premier league and champions league football.

if he is not confident enough now I doubt he ever will be, although I think it's more of know your limitations kind of performances.

70 games in Danish football, not the highest standard, and a few games for us last season at right back. It's still early days for him. Time will tell if he makes it but I wouldn't write him off yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charl91 said:

The difference is, the others have at least proven at some point that they're good enough, they're just going through some bloody horrendous form. Amartey hasn't yet proven he's up to the standard, and I've not seen anything that suggests he is good enough.

He's not the scapegoat, he's just one of the many, many things that currently isn't working in our team, and needs sorting. Just because we're saying that his Amartey's performances aren't of the required standard (they're not), it doesn't mean we're saying that the rest of the team are brilliant either.

This just happens to be the Amartey thread....

So because he didn't get much of a chance last year (understandably so), he should immediately take the blame for the performance yesterday? Sorry, not buying that at all.  

What you gotta remember is the lad is still young 21-22? He is still learning the game he will be far from the finished article. I think Drinkwater wasn't even playing first team football as regular as Amartey is at that age lad needs time to mature.  I don't think he will play as much when Mendy is back unless we change formation. 

11 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You were on about the first season back in the top flight when he played most of it alongside Cambiasso, he scored precisely no goals. Scored one the season before and I think 2 or 3 in his first season, both in the championship. He's hardly a goal scoring midfielder and he didn't score at all at this level in the season you referenced. Amartey has started, what, 6 games for us, and you saying he doesn't chip in with goal like James, when he's played less games at a higher level and James has never scored at that level. How about we give Amartey 3 season and see if can match James' record?

Oh and James still can shoot for shit, he's terrible in front of goal. He's the last player I'd want the ball dropping to in the penalty area.

lol

This forum...

Since when did 'chipped in with the odd goal or two, equate to being 'a goal scoring midfielder'?

OK, replace James then with King. Can you see Amartey scoring many goals? He's never anywhere near the opponents penalty area!

Fooks sake....

At least Kingy offers a goal threat.

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

lol

This forum...

Since when did 'chipped in with the odd goal or two, equate to being 'a goal scoring midfielder'?

OK, replace James then with King. Can you see Amartey scoring many goals? He's never anywhere near the opponents penalty area!

Fooks sake....

At least Kingy offers a goal threat.

You're judging someone one someone else's stats before they've had chance to match them.

By your logic he must be a much cleaner player than Gareth Barry, I mean Barry has received many more bookings in his 600 plus games than Amartey has in his 10 games.

Edited by Facecloth

You tell me.....?

He is not Cambiasso. He is not a goalscorer, he doesn't spray passes around because that's not his job, that's Drinkwater's job. Saying that Amartey's passing range against Swansea was first class, he did everything we wanted from him, you can't ignore that performance, that match proved he has quality in his locker.

Don't know why you keep banging on about goals, doesn't create, doesn't shoot, he is not Cambiasso, he is not Drinkwater. Amartey is there to do what Kante did, in our home games he has done the Kante job relatively well in my opinion, he's tracked back, he's held his position, he has intercepted, he's put in tackles. Away from home it's been a different story, first of all we've played against top opposition, when they put us under pressure and start moving the ball quickly our shape goes, sometimes it's Amartey some times its the defenders, pinpointing and blaming Amartey for everything is a joke, Morgan & Huth have looked worse at times, them stepping out of defence all the time is a major problem, is that down to Amartey? No!

We are leaking goals, we have nothing going forward...away from home. At home in the games Amartey has started we've scored six goals, kept three clean sheets and claimed ten points...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

He is not Cambiasso. He is not a goalscorer, he doesn't spray passes around because that's not his job, that's Drinkwater's job. Saying that Amartey's passing range against Swansea was first class, he did everything we wanted from him, you can't ignore that performance, that match proved he has quality in his locker.

Don't know why you keep banging on about goals, doesn't create, doesn't shoot, he is not Cambiasso, he is not Drinkwater. Amartey is there to do what Kante did, in our home games he has done the Kante job relatively well in my opinion, he's tracked back, he's held his position, he has intercepted, he's put in tackles. Away from home it's been a different story, first of all we've played against top opposition, when they put us under pressure and start moving the ball quickly our shape goes, sometimes it's Amartey some times its the defenders, pinpointing and blaming Amartey for everything is a joke, Morgan & Huth have looked worse at times, them stepping out of defence all the time is a major problem, is that down to Amartey? No!

We are leaking goals, we have nothing going forward...away from home. At home in the games Amartey has started we've scored six goals, kept three clean sheets and claimed ten points...

So, boil it down, you are saying that you are perfectly happy with sticking with Amartey in the central midfield  (in whatever formation) till the end of this season? In your own words 'he has done the Kante job very well'

For a bloke who completely slated Drinkwater, stating he'll never be any good, you are now saying that you are more than happy with Amartey?

I won't hold my breath...

Face it...he is the best we have right now... it is a less than idea situation down to all our eggs in the mendy basket. Bickering about if or when he will be as good as kante doesn't help.... though i wish he were.  We should support him he is doing his best for us. Dont ruin his confidence.... cheer hom

Cr must adopt a system thay will work with the resources we have and must ensure we strengthen in jan. King... too light weight: james .... who knows; and mendy ...coming back?....can't help us in the meantime... so CR must change the system.

Let's encourage amarty. .... it will take time but he has a lot of potential.

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

So, boil it down, you are saying that you are perfectly happy with sticking with Amartey in the central midfield  (in whatever formation) till the end of this season? In your own words 'he has done the Kante job very well'

For a bloke who completely slated Drinkwater, stating he'll never be any good, you are now saying that you are more than happy with Amartey?

I won't hold my breath...

I'm not saying that.

Away from home we need a change especially against the top sides, we need three in the middle the evidence is clear.

At home, so far he has done nothing wrong, until he comes unstuck at home I'd stick with 4-4-2 and I'd stick with Amartey partnering Drinky.

I'd play 4-4-2 against Copenhagen & Palace, I'd go with 4-3-3 against Spurs.

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

I'm not saying that.

Away from home we need a change especially against the top sides, we need three in the middle the evidence is clear.

At home, so far he has done nothing wrong, until he comes unstuck at home I'd stick with 4-4-2 and I'd stick with Amartey partnering Drinky.

I'd play 4-4-2 against Copenhagen & Palace, I'd go with 4-3-3 against Spurs.

I've already said, I fully expect a home win against Copenhagen. And I expect Amartey to play and to look fine. When we have the bulk of the possession he looks fine. 

So I agree with you there. That's not my concern at all.

We have what we have, we have to get on with it.

EC and N'G are hard acts to follow!

Amartey was never first choice for the role,nor was Mendy,pre injury if we believe what was said in the summer.

After Spurs away we will be better able to judge. Hull was a game we should not have lost but Manure,Liverpool and Chelsea away yielded only 2 points last season.

You are all forgetting one thing...Its our players from last season letting the side down.

Amartey, Musa have no one supporting them.

New players should be an enhancement, an  extra developement to the squad, the main problem

that experienced bunch, are fighting their own demons, and are not playing avg, but below championship

level...How on earth then do you expect the newbies to wage the magic wand.

All over the field we are defensive mess, we are incapable of delivering a decent pass, or repeating the 1st half

of our 1st season back, nobody can hold, control a ball or defend their own area on the pitch  ONCE...!!

All the  squad Newbies, and new transfers, are just being left with NILL support, some of you are missing, that

even Drinkwater though our best player so far is still below his best.

The players gave their all last year, we and Ranieri might have to accept has a group they havent recovered,

our only hope is that they refind 85-90% of that pace, spirit and bite again within the period upto new year.

If not 16-12th is what we will be fighting for.With big "R" hanging...

#At present imo we cant blame any of the newboys from transfers or from within Squad.

#Ranieri has been let down, but maybe nobody can be blamed, its just one of those things.

# Ranieri and coaching staff, if they stay ignorant and dont TRY to change it during the season

will and should be made responsible.We need quality new players in CM and CB, in January.

#Before then we need to keep taking points at home, plus pts against would be bottom half teams

When away...seems obvious, but these last 3 aways games we were trashed, it looked frightening.

# Ranieri..I take as rightly being dumbfounded and feels a bit let down, but its now his job to change

or tweek our set up. 4-4-2 might be still the way, but not like from last season.A extra fully fledged

Midfielder instead of a schlupp or, it hurts me to say sacrifice Albrighton/Gray, when Away.

Ie:  Mahrez DD Mendy, with Amartey just sitting behind, or if needs be alongside.

# Alternative is a Okazaki playing his old Mainz midfield roll or in a diamond, but box to box.

eg:                           Amartey.

Mahrez           DDrinkwater       Mendy

Okazaki

One of...............Slim /Vardy / Musa.

If we cant give service to 2 strikers  then cover middle ground and service the 1.

#Now the big Hurt after CL game..drop Morgan.. meaning a choice from  Hernandez/Big Was/Benny.

Though lets be honest, we have quite a few avg permatation possibilities, but little possibilties of 

Quality mix choice. Saying that last season was the same, difference now, the  back 6 have lost it...

and we cant pinpoint the "it" what they have lost. 

To me its the  "Fk you mate, thats mine attitude"  all over the pitch within every single player.

1 hour ago, Sly said:

Kante didn't arrive at Leicester as one of the best box to box midfielders in the world.

Give the lad time, he needs it.

Just, maybe not in a 4-4-2 with the worlds slowest reacting defence behind him.

Kante was top class from the off tbf.

Amarty is young and needs time to grow into a position against better opposition he looks uncomfortable in.

Unfortunatly he is having massive boots to fill in Kante.

its hard not to draw comparisons as Kante had pretty much everything in his game apart from goals.

We need Mendy back and sit Amarty behind him and Drinky picking up loose balls and tracking other midfield runners.

This will mean 3 at the back with Vardy and Slim upfront.

He could have a bright future in time he has just looked average against some top class established midfielders.

19 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

Amarty is young and needs time to grow into a position against better opposition he looks uncomfortable in.

Unfortunatly he is having massive boots to fill in Kante.

its hard not to draw comparisons as Kante had pretty much everything in his game apart from goals.

We need Mendy back and sit Amarty behind him and Drinky picking up loose balls and tracking other midfield runners.

This will mean 3 at the back with Vardy and Slim upfront.

He could have a bright future in time he has just looked average against some top class established midfielders.

Good post.  I try to look for positives rather than negatives and Amartey is built like brick sh** house and can break up play.  his passing is simple but effective and he is a physical presence in the centre of the park.  Coming into the side to replace kante is a near impossible task and anyone in world football would have struggled, so we need to give the lad a break.  He needs to learn his trade and only game time, training and patience will help him learn it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

So because he didn't get much of a chance last year (understandably so), he should immediately take the blame for the performance yesterday? Sorry, not buying that at all.  

I don't think you're really understanding the point here.....I'm not saying Amartey should take the blame for yesterday's performance, and if that's what you're going to take from this, then you may as well stop reading now. What I am saying is that we have many problems in the team.

• We have players who are not performing to the level anyway near enough that they're capable of.
  • We have newer players in the squad who may not be good enough for our team.

The rest of the team take just as much of the blame as Amartey does. None of them played well (other than Drinkwater, and possibly Kasper). The only difference is that we know they're underperforming. That's different to Amartey; he may be in poor form, but for all we know, this could actually just be his natural level, because he's never really shown us a period when he's been "good".

Yeah, maybe he will suddenly become amazing, and learn to pass. Or maybe, he's not under-performing, this is just his level, and he's not cut out for top-flight football.

• Like 1