Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

18 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

I'm tempted to buy one for exactly that reason, it's hard to get on my PS4 at times due to the main TVs being taken over by the mrs shows so this is tempting me big time. 

Need to play the handheld though as I'm interested how good the controls are. 

The controls are good, not perfect and the motion sensors aren't as good because you are tilting the screen around sometimes to the point where you can't really see it. Other than that no complaints so far, but I've only played Zelda. You can always just pop out the stand and use the controller as normal and you can buy a pro controller if you're not a fan of the switch controllers.

10 hours ago, grth2004 said:

I'm tempted to buy one for exactly that reason, it's hard to get on my PS4 at times due to the main TVs being taken over by the mrs shows so this is tempting me big time. 

Need to play the handheld though as I'm interested how good the controls are. 

Simple solution. Buy a Vita. Cheaper than the Switch and you can stream your PS4 games to it. Graphically its the same but obviously on a smaller screen.

Depends what sort of games you play on PS4. The only games I had a struggle to play on the Vita were shooters. Only a slight struggle though :thumbup:

11 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Simple solution. Buy a Vita. Cheaper than the Switch and you can stream your PS4 games to it. Graphically its the same but obviously on a smaller screen.

Depends what sort of games you play on PS4. The only games I had a struggle to play on the Vita were shooters. Only a slight struggle though :thumbup:

Ok cool never thought of the vita in fact I forgot it even excisted ?

I did own the psp when it first came out but the games ran out on it eventually, didn't know you can stream PS4 games through vita , Sony have done a bad job at advertising it are they still supporting it well ?

13 hours ago, grth2004 said:

Ok cool never thought of the vita in fact I forgot it even excisted ?

I did own the psp when it first came out but the games ran out on it eventually, didn't know you can stream PS4 games through vita , Sony have done a bad job at advertising it are they still supporting it well ?

If I am being honest. I don't think its supported enough. Serious lack of exclusive games. There isn't a game that would make you go out and buy one. I play on mine though as I find the Remote play is invaluable, the wife will be watching tv in bed I can just stick on remote play and play my PS4 on the Vita. All with 1 click of a button (doesn't take too long to connect). Battery life is really good as well.

Also Playstation Now is decent on the Vita if you have a good Wifi connection. Whole library of games to play (although at £12.99 a month its quite expensive)

Not sure what the going price is for a Vita (Ebay is around £170, you could prob find loads of 2nd hand Vitas for cheap). It all comes down to how desperate you are to play on your Playstation. A good investment if you know you will get regular play from it through Remote Play.

Best game I had on Vita was Gravity Rush. Brilliant game but that's now available on PS4 (well the sequel is anyway). Football games work well through remote play.

I like my Vita. Good if you go on holidays etc. I've downloaded old games like God of War 1+2 and Final Fantasy 7,8 + 9. Makes long journeys much easier

You can also do PS4 remote play through your laptop if you have one. I've installed the program on my pc, never got round to trying it though. Think you use the dual shock 4 connected via USB to control it.

Remote play on the vita is alright, found metal gear 5 to be a bit of a ballache due to having only one set of shoulder buttons (the other set map to the touch pads underneath the vita, which are a little tricky to get to)

11 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

If I am being honest. I don't think its supported enough. Serious lack of exclusive games. There isn't a game that would make you go out and buy one. I play on mine though as I find the Remote play is invaluable, the wife will be watching tv in bed I can just stick on remote play and play my PS4 on the Vita. All with 1 click of a button (doesn't take too long to connect). Battery life is really good as well.

Also Playstation Now is decent on the Vita if you have a good Wifi connection. Whole library of games to play (although at £12.99 a month its quite expensive)

Not sure what the going price is for a Vita (Ebay is around £170, you could prob find loads of 2nd hand Vitas for cheap). It all comes down to how desperate you are to play on your Playstation. A good investment if you know you will get regular play from it through Remote Play.

Best game I had on Vita was Gravity Rush. Brilliant game but that's now available on PS4 (well the sequel is anyway). Football games work well through remote play.

I like my Vita. Good if you go on holidays etc. I've downloaded old games like God of War 1+2 and Final Fantasy 7,8 + 9. Makes long journeys much easier

You've sold it to me , I am desperate to be able to play decent games without relying on the tv and play remotely. Bought a vita slim 2016 model with 2 games £140 off eBay. 

Will probably buy the switch one day when the price comes down but the vita will fill that gap well I hope. 

Thanks for info 

11 hours ago, grth2004 said:

You've sold it to me , I am desperate to be able to play decent games without relying on the tv and play remotely. Bought a vita slim 2016 model with 2 games £140 off eBay. 

Will probably buy the switch one day when the price comes down but the vita will fill that gap well I hope. 

Thanks for info 

That's a really good price. What 2 games did you get? On the home screen there is a PS4 remote play button. Its easy to connect to your PS4 :thumbup:

Just be aware that the L2 and R2 buttons are the touch pad on the back. Can take a little getting used to.

Back to the Switch. I may get it at around Xmas time. Needs to have a mind blowing E3 though to convince me.

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

The console is advertised as suitable for 3+ so you should be okay. 

I saw that and was surprised and wondered how that translated to real life. The 3+ may be a safety type guide and I wondered how easy a 5 year old might find it to use the controllers. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, 

just bought my switch 4 days ago. Got Zelda breath of the Wild and MK8 Deluxe. Absolutley loving the console so far.  I've added the guys who have shared their friend codes on this thread. Please feel free to add me:

SW-396268365684

Edited by Jam
  • Like 1

Couple of Pokemon games announced for this including new versions of Sun & Moon. If a full Fifa games comes out on it I might just trade my PlayStation for it 

Edit: scrap that only the 1 Pokemon game coming to the Switch

Edited by Samilktray

8 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Couple of Pokemon games announced for this including new versions of Sun & Moon. If a full Fifa games comes out on it I might just trade my PlayStation for it 

Edit: scrap that only the 1 Pokemon game coming to the Switch

Pokken Tournament DX. Hopefully at E3 they will announce something else. Everyone saw how Pokémon Go took the world by storm. They need to get something similar on the Switch with added extras.

Im glad I didn't get a Switch on launch as Zelda in the end disappointed me. I really hope Nintendo have a good E3 cause at the moment I really am not bothered by the Switch which is sad as I have loved every Nintendo console.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2017 at 21:18, Ashley said:

These any good? Thinking of purchasing one

It depends what you're into. If you like big, beautiful games with mad graphics and impressive online play, it's likely that it won't be for you. If you like good single-player adventures and local multiplayer, chances are you'll be a huge fan.

The two mega titles so far are Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart. Splatoon 2 is out this week and Super Mario comes out in October. With Metroid and Pokemon in production, a solid list of games is on the way and that's encouraging. However, whether third party developers will support it for years to come is probably still up in the air.

Apart from the games, portability is a massive winner for me. Recently I had the pleasure of using it on a flight for the first time. My girlfriend and I played Mario Kart for a good two hours and had a right blast. It was pretty amazing being able to play your HD console on the go like that. 

It currently doesn't support voice chat for online or apps such as Neflix and YouTube, which is a pity. However, it's nothing that really affects me as I have an Xbox One that offers these features. Hence, I reckon it's a great supporting console to an Xbox One/PS4.

Fortunately though, the games are the main highlight. Mario Kart, Bomberman, Arms, Snipperclips - hell, even 1-2 Switch - have all given me and my mates some good laughs over the last few months. And Zelda is just mesmerising in its own right. Also, I find refreshing to play games that aren't just the next FPS using state-of-the-art graphics engines or whatever.

You might want to consider waiting until Christmas. I'd imagine there might be a bundle including Super Mario and Mario Kart for instance. 

Tl;dr: It's good, yes. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

It depends what you're into. If you like big, beautiful games with mad graphics and impressive online play, it's likely that it won't be for you. If you like good single-player adventures and local multiplayer, chances are you'll be a huge fan.

The two mega titles so far are Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart. Splatoon 2 is out this week and Super Mario comes out in October. With Metroid and Pokemon in production, a solid list of games is on the way and that's encouraging. However, whether third party developers will support it for years to come is probably still up in the air.

Apart from the games, portability is a massive winner for me. Recently I had the pleasure of using it on a flight for the first time. My girlfriend and I played Mario Kart for a good two hours and had a right blast. It was pretty amazing being able to play your HD console on the go like that. 

It currently doesn't support voice chat for online or apps such as Neflix and YouTube, which is a pity. However, it's nothing that really affects me as I have an Xbox One that offers these features. Hence, I reckon it's a great supporting console to an Xbox One/PS4.

Fortunately though, the games are the main highlight. Mario Kart, Bomberman, Arms, Snipperclips - hell, even 1-2 Switch - have all given me and my mates some good laughs over the last few months. And Zelda is just mesmerising in its own right. Also, I find refreshing to play games that aren't just the next FPS using state-of-the-art graphics engines or whatever.

You might want to consider waiting until Christmas. I'd imagine there might be a bundle including Super Mario and Mario Kart for instance. 

Tl;dr: It's good, yes. 

Cheers matey ive got a XB1 currently I play Fifa, COD and GTA. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Cheers matey ive got a XB1 currently I play Fifa, COD and GTA. 

There isn't anything like that currently on the switch, it comes down to if you are a fan of Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon) if you like that kind of thing then get the switch, Arms and Splatoon will also appeal if you like fun cartoony games that don't take themselves too seriously. If you aren't a fan of Zelda there isn't much point getting it at the moment there are not many games out and Mario Kart alone isn't worth the price of the switch.

It is a great concept though, and being mid game when the missus comes home and wants to watch TV, you can just quickly remove it from the dock and carry on your game, it is also really quick to come to life so you can get gaming quickly and easily.

Am I the only person who was disappointed with Zelda BotW? I am a HUGE Zelda fan and the serious lack of dungeons killed BotW for me. Big Boss battles are what make a Zelda game for me and there just wasn't any in BotW. 

I still enjoyed the game And it looks stunning but I just can't get away from the fact that there are only 4 dungeons and it was so easy to make food u were practically invincible. 

I was gonna buy the Switch just for Zelda. I'm so glad I didn't. Saying that though I do want the Switch for Metroid Prime 4 so I'm sure I will b looking to buy one maybe early next year 

Just now, kingcarr21 said:

Am I the only person who was disappointed with Zelda BotW? I am a HUGE Zelda fan and the serious lack of dungeons killed BotW for me. Big Boss battles are what make a Zelda game for me and there just wasn't any in BotW. 

I still enjoyed the game And it looks stunning but I just can't get away from the fact that there are only 4 dungeons and it was so easy to make food u were practically invincible. 

I was gonna buy the Switch just for Zelda. I'm so glad I didn't. Saying that though I do want the Switch for Metroid Prime 4 so I'm sure I will b looking to buy one maybe early next year 

I enjoyed Zelda, but I did find it lacking, the shrines were fun puzzles and the divine beasts were fun and I'm not that fussed that the bosses weren't mega hard. The problem I had was that the missions were all pretty samey and the skill tree was pretty much completed straight away. Once you've got your runes and then all you're doing is just powering up and collecting different weapons. As an explorable world it was fantastic, but almost too simple learning different abilities and getting outfit bonuses etc didn't unlock new areas just made the existing ones easier to explore. I started off exploring everywhere and being quite completionist but got bored and just finished the game. I might buy the DLC and go back, but the storyline wasn't compelling, it just repeated the same bit over and over again and the memories added very little. There was no real development of the relationship between Link and anyone except the Zora's and the rewards for completing missions were pretty uninspiring. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the game, but it could have been so much better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Captain... said:

I enjoyed Zelda, but I did find it lacking, the shrines were fun puzzles and the divine beasts were fun and I'm not that fussed that the bosses weren't mega hard. The problem I had was that the missions were all pretty samey and the skill tree was pretty much completed straight away. Once you've got your runes and then all you're doing is just powering up and collecting different weapons. As an explorable world it was fantastic, but almost too simple learning different abilities and getting outfit bonuses etc didn't unlock new areas just made the existing ones easier to explore. I started off exploring everywhere and being quite completionist but got bored and just finished the game. I might buy the DLC and go back, but the storyline wasn't compelling, it just repeated the same bit over and over again and the memories added very little. There was no real development of the relationship between Link and anyone except the Zora's and the rewards for completing missions were pretty uninspiring. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the game, but it could have been so much better.

I hav to agree 100% with this statement. Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Don't think I will bother with the DLC. I'm honestly gutted that I don't love it. I enjoyed the game as well just not as much as I thought. I just hope any future Zelda games aren't all going to take on the similar style as BotW. 

6 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I hav to agree 100% with this statement. Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Don't think I will bother with the DLC. I'm honestly gutted that I don't love it. I enjoyed the game as well just not as much as I thought. I just hope any future Zelda games aren't all going to take on the similar style as BotW. 

I find that Zelda games are always different and do always try to innovate and they will have learnt a lot from this game and the feedback. It's not Nintendo's style to just churn out the same game. They will also have more time to develop with the switch.

I would expect another open world, and they created an amazing world, I just feel they focussed too much on just making the biggest map possible, but sometimes less is more. Fewer weapons, fewer ingredients, fewer cooking options, fewer fetch missions, more storyline, more developed skill tree, more unlockable areas, more dungeons. Towers are also getting a little passé.

I thought BOTW was good and a refreshing addition to Zelda. However, it wasn't nearly as hard as some people made out. The first dungeon boss was hard, but after that it was a piece of piss because anyone in their right mind playing the game for the first time would explore the huge open world before heading onto the dungeons.

And that's where it became a problem. It was too easy to either stock up on food or get good weapons, which meant the remaining dungeons and bosses were far too easy.

I enjoyed exploring the world immensely. I'd say it's the best first-time playthrough I've had with any Zelda game. But I doubt it'll have the same level of replay value as for instance Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, purely because the wow effect was mostly thanks to exploration.

I liked what they tried and I think they pulled it off, because as stated I found the exploring part really enjoyable. But like any other Zelda fan, I missed the big dungeons that you'd spend 2-3 hours in. The shrines were great, but it completing, say, 10 shrines, compared to beating the Lakebed Temple in TP wasn't anywhere near as satisfying.

I'm hope that the next one will take the best of both the traditional Zelda format and the open world format. I guess we'll have to wait five years to find out! 

Edited by VinceNoir