Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

The Wii U just looked shit, the Wii  had something unique with the motion controllers something that hasn't been bettered by any other attempts and it was just fun games that you could pick up and play with friends, girlfriends, parents, kids. The games were very playable and had longevity. The Wii U moved so far away from that with massive controller/tablet thing that probably made party play prohibitively expensive. As a controller it looked shit and uncomfortable and to incorporate it into games just seemed pointless and added very little. I thought the Wii was great, but the fanbase of casual fun gamers looked at the Wii U and just thought it was nothing like what they wanted in a console so just didn't bother. From the very first concept reveal nearly everyone just went, "Nah you're alright I'll keep the Wii or buy a proper games console."

If the switch can recapture the feel of the Wii as a fun console for all gamers as well as the mobile gaming aspect and have some serious games on there it could be a success.

• Like 1

Went into Game on Saturday to see if they had Pre order details. They were taking £50 refundable deposits because the RRP hasnt been confirmed yet but apparantely prices have been suggested to between £350-£400 :blink:

If that the case then that's shit. Unless those prices will be some sort of bundle deal. Game said that tbh if you don't utilise the mobility of the console its not worth getting it if you already have the Wii U. So i'm still unsure of whether to get the Switch or not. I just want the new Zelda but might just stick with the Wii U. 

So now im wondering if to go with the Wii U and buy the PS VR instead. Guess its still too early to decide

2 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Went into Game on Saturday to see if they had Pre order details. They were taking £50 refundable deposits because the RRP hasnt been confirmed yet but apparantely prices have been suggested to between £350-£400 :blink:

If that the case then that's shit. Unless those prices will be some sort of bundle deal. Game said that tbh if you don't utilise the mobility of the console its not worth getting it if you already have the Wii U. So i'm still unsure of whether to get the Switch or not. I just want the new Zelda but might just stick with the Wii U. 

So now im wondering if to go with the Wii U and buy the PS VR instead. Guess its still too early to decide

I would rather get a shield tablet TBH. I bought a  Wii U for the kids a couple of years back, they never use the remote play feature. Can't see them using this either

• 1 month later...

January 13th is the big announcement for this.

I spoke to a guy in GAME who told me a rumor that they will be doing 3 packages for this.

1st package - Bog Standard Console with little memory and no games = £199

2nd Package - Console with more memory and 1 free game = £249

3rd Package - Premium Console with full memory and 3 free games = £299-£349

He seemed very ITK as he is a self proclaimed Nintendo Geek but it is just a rumor. He said the conference is at 4am on the 13th January which he will set his alarm and has booked the day off from work. 

If they are the prices then at least there is alot of variety. The more expensive versions are for the people who want the memory to take it out and about. 

Also a nice addition is the Virtual console will have GameCube games to download with Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash and Smash Bros as launch titles.

I know full well once the details come out i will end up pre ordering this. Ive always had a soft spot for Nintendo and the new Zelda game will be brilliant on the better console

I noticed on NeoGaf yesterday that somebody had somehow managed to get hold of the unreal engine 4 settings for the switch

It appears when you take it out of the dock, the graphics settings are reduced significantly, as well as the resolution the game is running at

This is more likely because the switch downclocks it's cpu and gpu to preserve battery life, but it does mean that the games are going to run significantly worse than advertised when taken out of the dock from a graphical standpoint

The Unreal Engine 4 settings appear to show that the graphics setting when undocked are similar to running everything on 'low' settings on a modern pc, and when docked, are your standard 'medium' PC settings

[Switch DeviceProfile]
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=2
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=2
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=2
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=2
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=2
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=2
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=100

[SwitchConsole DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch

[SwitchHandheld DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=1
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=1
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=1
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=1
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=1
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=1
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=66
Edited by MrSpaM

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

The Wii u was a major f up by Nintendo, the worst console for sure. It had some great games but nothing like what they had on their other consoles. 

yup and any good games they had were ported to the other consoles because they knew the Wii U couldn't sell them. The new Zelda on the Switch, Smash Bros. and Mario Maker on the 3DS ect. 

On 22/12/2016 at 14:25, MrSpaM said:

I noticed on NeoGaf yesterday that somebody had somehow managed to get hold of the unreal engine 4 settings for the switch

It appears when you take it out of the dock, the graphics settings are reduced significantly, as well as the resolution the game is running at

This is more likely because the switch downclocks it's cpu and gpu to preserve battery life, but it does mean that the games are going to run significantly worse than advertised when taken out of the dock from a graphical standpoint

The Unreal Engine 4 settings appear to show that the graphics setting when undocked are similar to running everything on 'low' settings on a modern pc, and when docked, are your standard 'medium' PC settings

[Switch DeviceProfile]
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=2
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=2
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=2
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=2
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=2
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=2
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=100

[SwitchConsole DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch

[SwitchHandheld DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=1
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=1
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=1
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=1
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=1
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=1
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=66

When you see this and understand it you know you are an ultimate geek 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2016 at 15:27, kingcarr21 said:

January 13th is the big announcement for this.

I spoke to a guy in GAME who told me a rumor that they will be doing 3 packages for this.

1st package - Bog Standard Console with little memory and no games = £199

2nd Package - Console with more memory and 1 free game = £249

3rd Package - Premium Console with full memory and 3 free games = £299-£349

He seemed very ITK as he is a self proclaimed Nintendo Geek but it is just a rumor. He said the conference is at 4am on the 13th January which he will set his alarm and has booked the day off from work. 

If they are the prices then at least there is alot of variety. The more expensive versions are for the people who want the memory to take it out and about. 

Also a nice addition is the Virtual console will have GameCube games to download with Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash and Smash Bros as launch titles.

I know full well once the details come out i will end up pre ordering this. Ive always had a soft spot for Nintendo and the new Zelda game will be brilliant on the better console

I can see me getting one of these for the kids. Maybe not straight away, but I've owned every Nintendo console since the SNES (oh happy days - handed over my first proper wage packet in 1992 for one of those!) so more than likely will buy the Switch,

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

The Switch presentation is 4am tomorrow morning. 5am in Denmark and I'm off to work at 7, so I might get up early to watch it. Hopefully confirmation of Breath of the Wild as a launch title.

It has to be. Nintendo will miss out massively on sales if it isn't. It's got to be there number 1 priority.

I would set my alarm but I know that I would end up not waking up and it goes off for ages and wakes the wife up lol 

Might set my alarm like 30 mins earlier than normal so I can have a good read about it

On 12/27/2016 at 07:58, stripeyfox said:

I can see me getting one of these for the kids. Maybe not straight away, but I've owned every Nintendo console since the SNES (oh happy days - handed over my first proper wage packet in 1992 for one of those!) so more than likely will buy the Switch,

Just read this and realized i have actually owned every Nintendo console at some point lol oh dear. 

Anyone want to buy a Wii U?

40 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

It has to be. Nintendo will miss out massively on sales if it isn't. It's got to be there number 1 priority.

I would set my alarm but I know that I would end up not waking up and it goes off for ages and wakes the wife up lol 

Might set my alarm like 30 mins earlier than normal so I can have a good read about it

Yeah, I agree. It's basically the only game they've marketed so far. Mind you, nothing would surprise me after their catastrophic marketing of Wii U lol Would love it if the new 3D Mario came out at launch too, but I seriously doubt that'll happen. I'd imagine both games would drown each other if that was the case.

Edited by VinceNoir

31 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

Yeah, I agree. It's basically the only game they've marketed so far. Mind you, nothing would surprise me after their catastrophic marketing of Wii U lol Would love it if the new 3D Mario came out at launch too, but I seriously doubt that'll happen. I'd imagine both games would drown each other if that was the case.

They would probably do better having only 1 major title at launch in order to maximise sales of both games.

Im really hopeful of the virtual console having Gamecube games. There are some brilliant games on the gamecube I wud love to play again

1 hour ago, VinceNoir said:

Release date March 3. Zelda is a launch title! That's all I need to hear.

That said, a slightly underwhelming presentation. Mario looks cool though.

That's also all I needed to know. Zelda is my all time fave game series and that new trailer looks seriously good. March 3rd isn't far away at all. Still contemplating whether to get the Switch or just buy it on the Wii U. 

The new Mario trailer at first I was like what is this shit. Then as it went on, Wow, looks really good. 

Disappointed to not see anything about the virtual console 

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

That's also all I needed to know. Zelda is my all time fave game series and that new trailer looks seriously good. March 3rd isn't far away at all. Still contemplating whether to get the Switch or just buy it on the Wii U. 

The new Mario trailer at first I was like what is this shit. Then as it went on, Wow, looks really good. 

Disappointed to not see anything about the virtual console 

Its supposed to run a lot better on switch (solid 60fps) which is to be expected.