Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue and white

Games for a younger audience

As I'm very much out of touch with games/consoles these days, what games are out for a younger audience on PS4/Xbox? Or are they limited to Nintendo?

I have fond memories of Spyro, Crash etc, but they don't seem to be making these sort of games anymore. Interested to introduce some to my young son but struggling for options!

14 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

My son loves skylanders (he's 4). He's getting lego dimensions too. He also loves transformers but that's a case of me having to play and he likes to watch. 

I saw the version of that which had Crash on the front, but had no idea what it was I would be purchasing since I've never played the game, and £65! As with the Lego games it said 7+ so not sure how suitable it is for a 5 year old..

3 hours ago, buzzer_b said:

Minecraft

Locally, yes.  Online it depends how eager you are to introduce your child to the world of trolling.  To be fair the only fun to be had as an adult playing minecraft is in telling some anally retentive 12 year-old halfway around the world that yeah they might be good at this hunger games lark but your dad can run faster than theirs then watching them melt down over it.  Ahhh fun times.

11 hours ago, Blue and white said:

As I'm very much out of touch with games/consoles these days, what games are out for a younger audience on PS4/Xbox? Or are they limited to Nintendo?

I have fond memories of Spyro, Crash etc, but they don't seem to be making these sort of games anymore. Interested to introduce some to my young son but struggling for options!

How old is he?

Got two boys, aged 8 and 5 who probably spend way to much time playing computer games!

The lego games are awesome. If u die u just come back to life so no tantrums from kids who can't do it. 

Might b worth picking up a wii u. With the new Nintendo out next year it wud b quite cheap and there are some great games on it. Also the virtual console is great to download old Nintendo games.

xbox1/PS4 there will b plenty of games he could play and also u can get games for urself

40 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

How old is he?

Got two boys, aged 8 and 5 who probably spend way to much time playing computer games!

Nothing wrong with that. I played games all through my childhood and I came out great. 

Only been caught 8 times for indecent exposure 

When I was 4-5 and started gaming, I'd play and enjoy anything. Kids learn much faster than adults so if they enjoy more difficult games, let them play them. Obviously nothing too violent and I'd be wary of online play as there are plenty of dickheads that send out hate messages if they lose but I don't think young uns should only be restricted to just games with cartoon characters in them

If you have an Xbox One, I'd definitely recommend the Forza Horizon games - no adult content and the offline part of the game is massive and a lot of fun. Can also be set to very easy difficulty. If you don't already have a console, as Sharpe's Fox suggested, the 2DS is a bargain and has a massive library of child-friendly games from the DS to 3DS

If you go for skylanders, get one of the older games for about a fiver and pick up the character model things for a pittance second hand. We've done that with skylanders giants ( admittedly on PS3) and got quite a collection for maybe a couple of quid each maximum. My boy has had hours of fun out of it and as a result it's ended up being my most 'played' game. In fact since we've put some time in to it, I now want to platinum it so I might end up playing it when he's in bed !! 

In fact it might even be worth getting a generation old console i.e. PS3 or Xbox 360. So many quality games at ten quid now and if he's like my son he won't care they aren't even the latest game 

we are now having a lot of fun playing dark chronicle Ps2 albeit on PS4. If that makes sense. 

Sold my 360 when I got the PS4, pretty gutted now as there were probably more games suitable on that.

I still have my PS2 though but crash and spyro don't look the best these days on the bigger tv screens, especially the ps1 versions which I enjoyed best. I've been waiting for this remaster of Crash Bandicoot to be released on PS4 but still no date!

What am I getting for £65 for skylanders on PS4? Seems a bit pricey.

52 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Sold my 360 when I got the PS4, pretty gutted now as there were probably more games suitable on that.

I still have my PS2 though but crash and spyro don't look the best these days on the bigger tv screens, especially the ps1 versions which I enjoyed best. I've been waiting for this remaster of Crash Bandicoot to be released on PS4 but still no date!

What am I getting for £65 for skylanders on PS4? Seems a bit pricey.

I got Skylanders on PS4 for £10 which included the game, the portal (where you place the skylanders), one figure and one "trap". Brought it from CEX in Melton. The boys love going in there at the weekend and the guy brings out a huge box of second hand figures which they root through. Some of the are only a pound each.

Mine aren't really into the lego games.

We have XBOX360, PS4 and Wii-U. 

Minecraft is pretty much a constant in our house

Mario Maker on Wii U is good - I'm amazed how even the 5 year old can create his own levels

Splatoon (Wii U) is amazing - they can play online but there is no "interaction" as such - so no need to worry about who they are talking to

The love anything Mario!

3 hours ago, Beliall said:

In my experience, this kids don't play major releases, and prefer the indie games. Rocket league is popular, you can buy the code to download it, and other , on a little card in Game

Rocket league's great fun, but again you have to be careful of the community - specifically the ranked matches - because all it takes is for you or one of your team-mates to make one mistake and suddenly the chat screen is filled with some angry teenager typing out obscenities at the people daring to jeopardise their precious ranking points. lol

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Rocket league's great fun, but again you have to be careful of the community - specifically the ranked matches - because all it takes is for you or one of your team-mates to make one mistake and suddenly the chat screen is filled with some angry teenager typing out obscenities at the people daring to jeopardise their precious ranking points. lol

I don't play it but the kids do. For multiplayer ragers I play World of Warships

Knack professional reviews:

"A poor quality video game by any measure, but what this joyless throwback is doing being a key launch title for the PlayStation 4 Sony only knows."

"An awfully boring, repetitive and uninspired game that does absolutely nothing to show PS4’s capabilities but a lot to ruin your day."

"Knack is a disaster game for the PlayStation 4. The game is too simple, too frustrating and is full of mistakes. Worst launch title ever."

"The game also fails as a high-profile PS4 launch title in terms of what it’s putting onscreen. The particle effects serve their purpose, but everything from the vapid story sequences to the hackneyed goblin foes feels blandly feeble. A chapter setting entitled The Barren Wastes? Yes, you think, no need to ram it home."

"It's a disappointing failure on just about every level."

"Knack is ultimately disappointing, and often straight out boring. With its non-engaging encounters and lacking exploration, it’s simply put not very good."

It's a thoroughly shit game, I think it could only be considered "good" if you've never played any other game to compare it to

36 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Knack professional reviews:

"A poor quality video game by any measure, but what this joyless throwback is doing being a key launch title for the PlayStation 4 Sony only knows."

"An awfully boring, repetitive and uninspired game that does absolutely nothing to show PS4’s capabilities but a lot to ruin your day."

"Knack is a disaster game for the PlayStation 4. The game is too simple, too frustrating and is full of mistakes. Worst launch title ever."

"The game also fails as a high-profile PS4 launch title in terms of what it’s putting onscreen. The particle effects serve their purpose, but everything from the vapid story sequences to the hackneyed goblin foes feels blandly feeble. A chapter setting entitled The Barren Wastes? Yes, you think, no need to ram it home."

"It's a disappointing failure on just about every level."

"Knack is ultimately disappointing, and often straight out boring. With its non-engaging encounters and lacking exploration, it’s simply put not very good."

It's a thoroughly shit game, I think it could only be considered "good" if you've never played any other game to compare it to

Like if you were a child? My kids loved it

Archived