Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

43 minutes ago, Anish said:

Somebody mentioned it earlier but we got rid of Kramaric in the summer who was technically far superior to Musa and Slimani, and also more mobile and quicker than Slimani. Yet another example of our terrible dealings in the transfer market this year.

Kramaric wasn't cut out for the prem, you could tell just by his cameos. Hes far better in a European league 

47 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Rather than respond to people slating him, can I ask you for a list of what you feel are Slimani's strengths? 

i thought I made my point pretty clear in my first post. Anyway:

- His size, his headers and awareness for the goal make him naturally dangerous in and near the box. Naturally when he gets only one or two decent crosses (if any) in a game, it's not guaranteed that he'll put any of them in. There's something called conversion rate, but for this to be meaningful, a significant amount of chances must be created. I mean come on, how many of clear goal chances is he getting pro game? One? Two? Three?

- He can link up and hold the ball. Anyone who's stating the contrary is being dishonest here. Think about the game ManCity and the first and the second goal.

- He's known for his work rate and chasing balls which are generally considered as lost causes, which put further pressure on a defense. And he's doing it. People tend to forget that. The problem is that he's doing it 10 meters deeper as he as striker should.

- He can't dribble past two three players à la Messi. 

- He can't defend on aerial balls.

- He can't run (very) fast.

- His first touch is not what I'd call great.

Anyone who's slating him for laziness or stating he's not winning aerial duels clearly never put a foot on a real pitch. He works his socks off. Much more than you'd expect from a striker. The balls he's getting most of the time are what we call in Germany "Anscheisser" (anscheißen=shit on something/someone) which in football jargon, litterally means balls you can do little with. High balls, coming in front of you, as you already have one or two or three defenders, and that you have to either put down or blind deflect to another player. Works sometimes, sometimes not. 

It doesn't change the fact that he was crap today. But seeing him slain for a defeat he's not responsible of kinda gets on my nerves.

2 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

i thought I made my point pretty clear in my first post. Anyway:

- His size, his headers and awareness for the goal make him naturally dangerous in and near the box. Naturally when he gets only one or two decent crosses (if any) in a game, it's not guaranteed that he'll put any of them in. There's something called conversion rate, but for this to be meaningful, a significant amount of chances must be created. I mean come on, how many of clear goal chances is he getting pro game? One? Two? Three?

- He can link up and hold the ball. Anyone who's stating the contrary is being dishonest here. Think about the game ManCity and the first and the second goal.

- He's known for his work rate and chasing balls which are generally considered as lost causes, which put further pressure on a defense. And he's doing it. People tend to forget that. The problem is that he's doing it 10 meters deeper as he as striker should.

- He can't dribble past two three players à la Messi. 

- He can't defend on aerial balls.

- He can't run (very) fast.

- His first touch is not what I'd call great.

Anyone who's slating him for laziness or stating he's not winning aerial duels clearly never put a feet on a real pitch. He works his socks off. Much more than you'd expect from a striker. The balls he's getting most of the time are what we call in Germany "Anscheisser" (anscheißen=shit on something/someone) which in football jargon, litterally means balls you can do little with. High balls, coming in front of you, as you already have one or two or three defenders, and that you have to put down or blind deflect to another player. Works sometimes, sometimes not. 

It doesn't change the fact that he was crap today. But seeing him slain for a defeat he's not responsible of kinda gets on my nerves.

I'm glad you are pointing this out. It's so important. 'Balls you can do little with' is spot on in the case of Slim. He must be totally dejected that he joined this rubbish, other than what he's being paid.

That said, there are individual things strikers can do even without good supply. And this is where Slimani is falling short. He must know that playing in front of our midfield, he's going to get little good supply. So he's got to start coming to get the ball himself and to improve his all round game. Which today, btw, was shocking.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

He can link up and hold the ball.

This is mainly what I've been disappointed about. Yes, he can do it. But. **** me, he doing a lot of not doing it too.

As for the shit balls... if Leo hadn't got a chunk of game time recently this would get a bit more sympathy. But either they miraculously Anschstop when players pass to him or he's a lot better at making them look like Anscheissery

Hes an unbelievable waste of £28m. His touch is inconsistent. He cant get off the ground, unless of course its 5 yards from goal and hes unmarked, seems decent at that. His rapport with players still looks out of sync. He chases yes, £28m for a guy that chases ten yards - brilliant. It wouldnt be so much of an issue if he had other qualities but he doesnt appear to. Hes looks extremely limited and zero threat. We can all see Ulloa is a better option other than weve fked up again on another attacking flop, kramaric, musa....we will persevere with him of course, no one will want to carry the can for what is turning out to be an awful waste of money. If a new manager took over tomm he would not start, mainly because he could justify him a signing outside of his regime. I dont boo him, not a hater. Ive felt this way for weeks now, just never convinced by him.

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I'm glad you are pointing this out. It's so important. 'Balls you can do little with' is spot on in the case of Slim. He must be totally dejected that he joined this rubbish, other than what he's being paid.

That said, there are individual things strikers can do even without good supply. And this is where Slimani is falling short. He must know that playing in front of our midfield, he's going to get little good supply. So he's got to start coming to get the ball himself and to improve his all round game. Which today, btw, was shocking.

I won't disagree. He has to adapt to the new situation. No matter what. But the guy is known to be a hard worker and someone always willing to improve. I have no doubt that he'll get better with time. 

14 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

This is mainly what I've been disappointed about. Yes, he can do it. But. **** me, he doing a lot of not doing it too.

As for the shit balls... if Leo hadn't got a chunk of game time recently this would get a bit more sympathy. But either they miraculously Anschstop when players pass to him or he's a lot better at making them look like Anscheissery

Ulloa has one clear goal chance (from Mahrez btw) Slim never had the whole game. Straight at the goal keeper. Can't imagine the forum's reaction, if it was Slim. Apart from that nothing much is to be said about him. I like Ulloa. A lot. I've followed him and the whole team since november 2015. Not as long as the most of you here for sure, but enough to have a rough idea of what the player worth is. And sorry, between him and Slim it's a no-brainer.

People are just praising Ulloa precisely because of the cameos. I'd be personally happy to see him start for a couple of games. Then we'll see which song people here will be singing.

16 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Ulloa has one clear goal chance (from Mahrez btw)

Not sure what the btw denotes, but it's not relevant since it was from a Simpson cross.

16 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

People are just praising Ulloa precisely because of the cameos

Well, I'm praising him because he pretty much always either a) wins the ball or b) makes himself such a bleeding nuisance the defender has little control over where it goes. Slim, with his back to goal at least, has been a piece of p*ss to defend against. 

Also, Leo can pass, and has some fair technical chops for a big guy. Again, Slim, so far, not so much.

The whole Slimani signing is a big mess IMO.

He has certain skills, decent pace, good in the air, links up well and is a strong marksman. However, when he signed I had reservations. Not because of his ability but how he plays in a team with Vardy. Apart from the Man City game, I havent seen them link up that well. I also see a lack of chemistry. Again its early for them both but he seems to be a bit of a moaner when things dont go his way. Again, thats not major but last seasons success occurred because they were like a band of brothers. I remember seeing an interview with a few of the lads last season and they said they didnt want any mega names and big heads joining. Thats always the risk in spending mega money and paying big wages for players.

The problem is now, Im not sure what Claudio does. The Vardy/Slimani partnership is a head ache but they are being made to look worse that they are because no one is creating much for them whether they play as a two or when one isnt playing like today. 

We are a bit of a mess but lets hope a couple of signings help put that right.

Shows how ridiculous the money is in the Premier League these days that you can buy a player for £28million and people are saying "oh, we need to drop it on his head six yards out". F**king hell.

I thought he'd be miles better than this. It's hard to fit into a team that isn't functioning properly anywhere on the pitch but he doesn't even look any good.

I know we won the Premier League without playing pretty possession football... £28million though and he can't control the ball. It's mad.

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

Not sure what the btw denotes, but it's not relevant since it was from a Simpson cross.

Well, I'm praising him because he pretty much always either a) wins the ball or b) makes himself such a bleeding nuisance the defender has little control over where it goes. Slim, with his back to goal at least, has been a piece of p*ss to defend against. 

Also, Leo can pass, and has some fair technical chops for a big guy. Again, Slim, so far, not so much.

No it wasn't.

As for the rest, you need to re-watch the last 18 games or so and say with a straight face that Slim can't pass or is shit with the back to the goal. I'm growing tired of this lack of objectivity. You lot already decided that Slim is shite and I don't think that any reasonable argument is going to change your mind. I agree to disagree and sincerely hope that either Ulloa starts for a couple of games or Slim bags a brace. All in all it can only benefits the team. Which is the most important after all.

No it wasn't.

As for the rest, you need to re-watch the last 18 games or so and say with a straight face that Slim can't pass or is shit with the back to the goal. I'm growing tired of this lack of objectivity. You lot already decided that Slim is shite and I don't think that any reasonable argument is going to change your mind. I agree to disagree and sincerely hope that either Ulloa starts for a couple of games or Slim bags a brace. All in all it can only benefits the team. Which is the most important after all.

You need to get some glasses. It was Simpson's cross for Ulloa's header.

it's not even the issue about service today which people seem to rely on.

Simple passes going straight to Everton players.

Shanking a shot which nearly went out for a throw in.

The inability to win a ball in the air today.

The laziness in not being able to get back in to an onside position. Not even being able to jog back onside. Walking back like a sulky teenager.

If we pay £30m for a player, I expect a shit load better than the above. That has nothing to do with lack of service. That's a lack of attitude and commitment, for me. 

No it wasn't.

Its nothing personal. He nevers wins any aerial duals (please you must be honest on this), his touch is cumbersome, how many times have you seen him shoot? When or where does he test the keeper in games? Yes the team have been poor but others have? Like i say, im not a hater clearly his confidence is low like some but hes come in as a proven goalscorer, albeit to a new league. My gut feel is hes a dud, will end up being talked about in years to come as the new Akinbiyi in regards to value for money. We should have gone all out for Rondon in the summer, would have cost less and massively more effective for what we need.

17 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Its nothing personal. He nevers wins any aerial duals (please you must be honest on this), his touch is cumbersome, how many times have you seen him shoot? When or where does he test the keeper in games? Yes the team have been poor but others have? Like i say, im not a hater clearly his confidence is low like some but hes come in as a proven goalscorer, albeit to a new league. My gut feel is hes a dud, will end up being talked about in years to come as the new Akinbiyi in regards to value for money. We should have gone all out for Rondon in the summer, would have cost less and massively more effective for what we need.

You should read all my posts before quoting me. It has nothing to do with confidence, the guy is new to the PL and getting 0 decent service. Still bagged overall 4 goals and has 3 assists.

Then Hazard was a dud. Or Costa. Or whoever who's playing with an underperforming team.

Rondon who? Please, this is getting ridiculous. We bought a target man known as finisher and for his abilities in the box, then play him as workhorse outside the box giving him 0 decent crosses and wonder why he's looking so shite. What in the blazing hell did Ulloa do today beside his dangerous back pass to Everton's goalkeeper on Simpson's cross? 

6 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

You should read all my posts before quoting me. It has nothing to do with confidence, the guy is new to the PL and getting 0 decent service. Still bagged overall 4 goals and has 3 assists.

Then Hazard was a dud. Or Costa. Or whoever who's playing with an underperforming team.

Rondon who? Please, this is getting ridiculous. We bought a target man known as finisher and for his abilities in the box, then play him as workhorse outside the box giving him 0 decent crosses and wonder why he's looking so shite. What in the blazing hell did Ulloa do today beside his dangerous back pass to Everton's goalkeeper on Simpson's cross? 

I think we share the same desire for him to suceed. We differ on his effectiveness for it clearly. No malice towards him but the most uninspiring marquee signing in the PL. I also have stated points on his weakness so no point raising again. Im yet to meet or speak with anyone who thinks hes proven effective thus far. In fact the only comments ive had are mates of other teams commenting on how bad he looks. Rondon was an example of a proven PL level who gave us the runaround last year and has done to others this. He also is a menace to decencesand ifwe were looking for an upgraded Ulloa he fits the bill. Make no mistake, i dont believe strikers have to all hit 30 goals a season. They all bring different qualities, i just dont believe Slimani brings us the required we need. 

His attitude is a major concern for me. Berating other players for a couple of his mistakes was shocking today. No wonder Huth favourited that tweet. Why he was still on the pitch and gray got taken off was bizarre 

As far as I'm concerned I'd bench him now and give Ulloa a chance or play Okazaki with gray or mahrez 

13 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

I think we share the same desire for him to suceed. We differ on his effectiveness for it clearly. No malice towards him but the most uninspiring marquee signing in the PL. I also have stated points on his weakness so no point raising again. Im yet to meet or speak with anyone who thinks hes proven effective thus far. In fact the only comments ive had are mates of other teams commenting on how bad he looks. Rondon was an example of a proven PL level who gave us the runaround last year and has done to others this. He also is a menace to decencesand ifwe were looking for an upgraded Ulloa he fits the bill. Make no mistake, i dont believe strikers have to all hit 30 goals a season. They all bring different qualities, i just dont believe Slimani brings us the required we need. 

Fair enough, that's a point of view I respect even if I don't agree with. But for me the problem isn't the spear's tip but the spear itself.

1 hour ago, WardyisPukka said:

His attitude is a major concern for me. Berating other players for a couple of his mistakes was shocking today. No wonder Huth favourited that tweet. Why he was still on the pitch and gray got taken off was bizarre 

As far as I'm concerned I'd bench him now and give Ulloa a chance or play Okazaki with gray or mahrez 

What tweet

Archived