Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

31 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The bloke's lack of technical ability is embarrassing for how much we paid. I don't think he's completely useless but we undoubtedly overpaid for him in a panic buy. Sven-esque stuff.

Hardly a panic buy. We wanted him last January and went back in the summer. As for his cost enough on here were saying pay them what they want to get him in.

Not saying you did Dan but it's amazing haw many rated him and wanted him. They watch all the vids think he's great and now slag him off

Amarty Musa Mendy all suffering the same fate. And I still think these players will come good but need time.

One reason I don't want over seas players in January. Fine if they have lived or do live here. But we really don't have the time for them to adjust and settle.

32 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Hardly a panic buy. We wanted him last January and went back in the summer. As for his cost enough on here were saying pay them what they want to get him in.

Not saying you did Dan but it's amazing haw many rated him and wanted him. They watch all the vids think he's great and now slag him off

Amarty Musa Mendy all suffering the same fate. And I still think these players will come good but need time.

One reason I don't want over seas players in January. Fine if they have lived or do live here. But we really don't have the time for them to adjust and settle.

Deadline day signings I generally consider to be panic buys. I'm not saying we didn't scout him, I just think we panicked and thought we've got to get someone. The panicking tendency is shown in the way we were happy to throw another £25mil or so at Silva on the same day.

I think for all we have blown this money, they're not necessarily all rubbish players, it's the collective effort that's the problem - too many gaps in our team not allowing certain players to flourish.

One of the most bizarre for me is Mendy. Ranieri, 4-4-2 at all costs, spends £13mil on midfielder who he has managed, who has spent his entire career playing in a three, who can't get in the team. What's going on?

Hernandez, brought in yet is below a 36 year old in the pecking order. What the ****?

I think many are missing the point AGAIN.

We all know that Slimani and Musa are not shite. We all know they've come from different leagues where they have scored goals for fun.

Now....Portugal and Russia is not England...granted.

But spot the common denominator. They come to play for LCFC and turn to shite overnight?

No....it's because they are playing in a shite side who can't create anything. You put Musa and Slim into the Chelsea team at present and lo and behold, surprise surprise, you'd find they'd start scoring again.

There have been page after page this weekend about how rubbish our strikers are. Yet very little about how rubbish our midfield is, supplying them. 

The FT bias lives on. It's easier to simply say 'Slimani is crap' than spend any effort analyzing why.

I don't think he's worth anything near what we paid for him. I also think he's being let down by playing in front of one of the worst midfields in the division.

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We all know that Slimani and Musa are not shite. We all know they've come from different leagues where they have scored goals for fun.

But spot the common denominator. They come to play for LCFC and turn to shite overnight?

No....it's because they are playing in a shite side who can't create anything. You put Musa and Slim into the Chelsea team at present and lo and behold, surprise surprise, you'd find they'd start scoring again.

There have been page after page this weekend about how rubbish our strikers are. Yet very little about how rubbish our midfield is, supplying them. 

The FT bias lives on. It's easier to simply say 'Slimani is crap' than spend any effort analyzing why.

I don't think he's worth anything near what we paid for him. I also think he's being let down by playing in front of one of the worst midfields in the division.

Doesn't take away from the fact he can't head, he can't turn with the ball, stands with his back to goal all game and he can't dribble.

What does he want?

To stand at the goal/back post all game with no-one around him have it put on a plate for him?

He had a chance (Albeit it only one) to smash it in from close range yesterday but oh no he was too slow and lost it/Everton cleared it up.

As for Musa well he's a stirker right, have we actually tried him in his prefered posistion because I can only see that we've used him as a winger, from what i've seen Musa isn't the answer, he's not been great but let's try in his prefered position, he can't be much worse can he.

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Agree completely. Watched the game on a stream yesterday and really the only save their keeper had was v Olloa with the header immediately after coming on. That for a side at home against a functional Everton team isn't good enough. our midfield are failing in supporting and supplying the attack, and also in shielding the defence. We're in a proper fight now, and if CR continues with the formation then we better hope for better personnel, because otherwise I don't see any other outcome than heart-in-mouth struggle to May. 

15 minutes ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

Agree completely. Watched the game on a stream yesterday and really the only save their keeper had was v Olloa with the header immediately after coming on. That for a side at home against a functional Everton team isn't good enough. our midfield are failing in supporting and supplying the attack, and also in shielding the defence. We're in a proper fight now, and if CR continues with the formation then we better hope for better personnel, because otherwise I don't see any other outcome than heart-in-mouth struggle to May. 

If you and I can see that matey, why can't others?

Its cos they ain't looking.

I remember the Pearson Premiership season. There were threads like this one, but mainly about Vardy, Morgan and even Drinkwater I think?

They were all saying the same thing. Not good enough, shite, shouldn't ever play for us again...blah did blah..all the nonsense you hear on here.

Then of course, we signed Kante.....Drinkwater looked like a world beater, Morgan et al stopped conceding goals and Vardy did what he did.

Kante wasn't the be all and end all. But we finally had a midfielder of real drive, energy and quality to bring the whole team up.

He's gone and now look at us. 

Its no coincidence. This midfield creates nothing.

Col, for a striker that we paid £30m for, I expect him to show more effort than what he did yesterday, regardless of service. £30m strikers should be able to do more than what he dd yesterday, no matter how poor the midfield behind him is. Some of the stuff yesterday was simple stuff he failed at. You can't blame the midfield for him not being able to pass back to them or shocking one-touches that get the ball about 10 feet away from where he was.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Col, for a striker that we paid £30m for, I expect him to show more effort than what he did yesterday, regardless of service. £30m strikers should be able to do more than what he dd yesterday, no matter how poor the midfield behind him is. Some of the stuff yesterday was simple stuff he failed at. You can't blame the midfield for him not being able to pass back to them or shocking one-touches that get the ball about 10 feet away from where he was.

No, I don't mean yesterday Stan. I've already said earlier in the thread. He was pants AND needs to change his game somewhat to compensate for playing in a crap team. At least a crap team at present.

I was making the general point that pretty much any striker would look rubbish in this side.

If we'd had players like Albrighton or Mahrez being able to put in decent crosses into the Everton box, we'd all approach Slimani's contribution a bit different, possibly even more positive.

He does work a lot on the pitch, tracking back and helping out in midfield. But the defensive setup by the manager and the lack of support up front (and through the middle) is what's even more upsetting to me.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

If you and I can see that matey, why can't others?

Its cos they ain't looking.

I remember the Pearson Premiership season. There were threads like this one, but mainly about Vardy, Morgan and even Drinkwater I think?

They were all saying the same thing. Not good enough, shite, shouldn't ever play for us again...blah did blah..all the nonsense you hear on here.

Then of course, we signed Kante.....Drinkwater looked like a world beater, Morgan et al stopped conceding goals and Vardy did what he did.

Kante wasn't the be all and end all. But we finally had a midfielder of real drive, energy and quality to bring the whole team up.

He's gone and now look at us. 

Its no coincidence. This midfield creates nothing.

Because Brits have very poor soccer comprehension and tactical awareness..

If we were any good, our national team would never have stood trophy-less for fifty years, period.

We idolize work-horses and fancy tackles, but overlook efficiency and gamesmanship.

Peeps defending Slim for yesterday should remember this, Ulloa came on and did more and had more attempts on target than Slim did all game, with the same supply.

Slim was caught off side far too often, was dismal at heading, was dismal with most of his passing, was so woeful with that shot set up on a plate that it was laughable.

Speaking of that wayward shot, whilst waiting for my brother at the staff entrance, where the camera men and technicians remove their equipment after the game, one of them was joking to the other about how just bad that miss was.

Maybe the guy is lacking in confidence but he should have been subbed, not left on the pitch to stink out the attack to the ire of the fans at the ground.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Agreed.  Even Zlatan would look really poor in our side.

Guest CityFan 06

Was suprised me yesterday is in the first half, whenever there were long balls up to Slimani, I'd say the Everton defenders were having more joy in the air. So, second half, I thought to myself we're going to need pace in this one, playing it long wasn't working because Williams for instance was very strong in the air. Now this is what surprised me, we persisted with putting it long to Slimani, but then bought on Ulloa & we carried on doing the same thing. Williams, who incidentally I thought was impressive, was winning a large portion in the air, so not sure why we didn't opt for a different dimension to get the game back.

Players like Slimani, who is a goalscorer, need crosses and creativity from players around them. He's got enough pedigree in the box, and that's where you will see the goals come from. However, launching it up to Slimani on every occasion, well, we're not going to see the best of him because we're not utilising his services. The point about utilising players recurs again. Once we start to utilise our players to their abilities, we will start to see what the real capabilities of this squad are.

I based my opinion on watching his 'best bits' on Youtube. Unfortunatly, it seems thats what Leicester City did too.

I guess when you cram the best bits of someones career into a 3 minute compilation video you dont see how sh!t they actually are.

Sorry but im bitterly dissapointed and want a refund.

4 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Peeps defending Slim for yesterday should remember this, Ulloa came on and did more and had more attempts on target than Slim did all game, with the same supply.

Slim was caught off side far too often, was dismal at heading, was dismal with most of his passing, was so woeful with that shot set up on a plate that it was laughable.

Speaking of that wayward shot, whilst waiting for my brother at the staff entrance, where the camera men and technicians remove their equipment after the game, one of them was joking to the other about how just bad that miss was.

Maybe the guy is lacking in confidence but he should have been subbed, not left on the pitch to stink out the attack to the ire of the fans at the ground.

It must be pretty frustrating/disheartening to be playing in that attack though.

start of making runs then you realise there are no through balls and no crosses apart from feeble crosses from the right and left back position of the half way line that don't ever seem to be above head height 

Play 4-3-1-2. Stop playing wingers.

Schmeichel

Albrighton   Morgan   Hernandez   Chilwell

Drinkwater

Mendy                     King

Mahrez/Gray

Slimani         Vardy

The whole team was sat too deep yesterday. If we're going to get the best out of a player like Slimani we need him in and around the penalty box more. Go on YouTube and watch his goals for Sporting, virtually all of them come inside the penalty area. He's a real poacher, fox in the box type player, yet yesterday he was left meandering around the half way line. He's not a Vardy type who'll out pace the last man, yes he looks somewhat clumsy at times too, but given a chance he knows where the back of the net is. 

I also wished people wouldn't keep banging on about how few headers he wins when the ball is launched towards him. Just because he's tall doesn't automatically make him a target man. That's one of the biggest coaching flaws we have in England, we stereotype players way too much and try to fit round pegs in square holes rather than look to work towards and develop their strengths. I can't imagine a young Slimani growing up playing street football in Algeria being coached to play with his back to goal in the same way players like Steve Howard, Les Ferdinand, etc. were coached. 

I think the biggest problem we have now irrespective of the strikers played is we're not creating enough chances. As soon as we're able to draft in reinforcements in order for us to start controlling the midfield a little more I think we'll start to see all of our strikers adding to their tally.

11 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

The whole team was sat too deep yesterday. If we're going to get the best out of a player like Slimani we need him in and around the penalty box more. Go on YouTube and watch his goals for Sporting, virtually all of them come inside the penalty area. He's a real poacher, fox in the box type player, yet yesterday he was left meandering around the half way line. He's not a Vardy type who'll out pace the last man, yes he looks somewhat clumsy at times too, but given a chance he knows where the back of the net is. 

I also wished people wouldn't keep banging on about how few headers he wins when the ball is launched towards him. Just because he's tall doesn't automatically make him a target man. That's one of the biggest coaching flaws we have in England, we stereotype players way too much and try to fit round pegs in square holes rather than look to work towards and develop their strengths. I can't imagine a young Slimani growing up playing street football in Algeria being coached to play with his back to goal in the same way players like Steve Howard, Les Ferdinand, etc. were coached. 

I think the biggest problem we have now irrespective of the strikers played is we're not creating enough chances. As soon as we're able to draft in reinforcements in order for us to start controlling the midfield a little more I think we'll start to see all of our strikers adding to their tally.

Thank God I'm reading today some posts from people who actually get what the main problem with this team is. 

We will never, ever see if Slimani is anywhere near worth what we paid for him until we start controlling the midfield in games and give any strikers we care to play some proper ammunition to get their confidence up and to stop them snatching at chances.

I say again, you take Slimani, Musa, certainly Mahrez and Vardy and put them into the Chelsea side, or Man Utd, or Liverpool or the Arsenal and they would look totally different to the dross they resemble at the moment.

But it's so much easier simply to write 'he's shite'.

I said yesterday, Slimani looks miles off a 30 million quid striker. But we all know he CAN score goals. Playing in this team must be demoralizing at present.

You've got King who has never been anything other than a squad player, Albrighton who appears mysteriously undroppable, Amartey who has the skill, guild and technical ability of Lee Marshall and finally Mahrez who must surely have been cloned this season, minus his ability.

On 12/26/2016 at 23:20, Col city fan said:

Your right..  the system they play in is sheet.. and players have been found out this season. 

Therefore these new imports are no worst than simpson, morgan, King, albrighton or huth

if u are upfront & you have the leagues worst passing/defending team - u would be shite too

Archived