Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Slimani

6 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

He isn't and doesn't.

He scores headers, sure, but he doesn't jump for them, so I am not sure how he is good in the air or that he wins aerial duels. He tends to get in front of players, and heads them from what I recall.

Go watch his goals again. He only didn't jump in the Sunderland goal, the others he always jumped. How can I discuss with a person that says Slimani isn't good in the air, although he is known for his aerial ability in the box and scores many headers.

Just now, Eagle10 said:

Go watch his goals again. He only didn't jump in the Sunderland goal, the others he always jumped. How can I discuss with a person that says Slimani isn't good in the air, although he is known for his aerial ability in the box and scores many headers.

I just did.

Burnley, he was in front of their player for the first, ran in, only needed to get 10 cm of the ground, powerful header, but didn't need to jump. Second goal, headed in a flick on, probably over jumped at another 10cm, as he had to bend down a bit. No challenge though. So that's three goals accounted for (Sunderland) out of the seven, I don't have time to watch the rest, but from those three... not much aerial dueling going on, or much height required in producing them.

40 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Thiis has to be the most toxic thread I've ever read about a player. Still hilarious though.

For real, I don't know why Slimani has this much hate. There are worse players in the squad, cough cough Ulloa, and they are praised like Ronaldo, and I don't want to bring it again but he has the best goal return in the squad, I can't understand why he gets this much hate but oh well.

Just now, Eagle10 said:

For real, I don't know why Slimani has this much hate. There are worse players in the squad, cough cough Ulloa, and they are praised like Ronaldo.

Did you see Ulloa last night? Came out with a lot of credit for me. Nobody's saying he's Ronaldo but they are saying he's good at what he does

Ugh, why when you say "good in the air" do English fans assume you mean having the ball lumped at him from fifty yards for pointless flick ons that always go straight to the opposition anyway.

The man is quite clearly very good at scoring headed goals, which is what I meant.

I do agree, Leo is also pretty good with his head (not at being "a target man") but he has nowhere near the athleticism of Slim.

41 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I just did.

Burnley, he was in front of their player for the first, ran in, only needed to get 10 cm of the ground, powerful header, but didn't need to jump. Second goal, headed in a flick on, probably over jumped at another 10cm, as he had to bend down a bit. No challenge though. So that's three goals accounted for (Sunderland) out of the seven, I don't have time to watch the rest, but from those three... not much aerial dueling going on, or much height required in producing them.

So basically, all of those goals were fantastic centre forward play?

I agree, well done.

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

So basically, all of those goals were fantastic centre forward play?

I agree, well done.

I don't disagree, I think he is a decent centre forward. He is a good header of the ball, but he isn't great in the air and doesn't do well with aerial duels for a guy of his size, which the comments were saying. I think he can do a job for us, but I don't think he'll be here much longer.

14 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

I like that some posters are totally silent when he scores. Obviously couldn't hold in their hate much longer and had a pop when he was unable to play due to injury. 

It's sadly the right word. While some make reasonable, argumented criticism we can agree or disagree with, the rest are purely hate driven. Unbelievable, the guy didn't even play yesterday and he's still being torn apart because he's injured.

57 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I just did.

Did you ever play football or scored a header? Genuine question.

70 pages ans the debate on whether to keep or sell Slimani is still going on. In the end, our opinions don't mean jack, its Shakey and management who decide. In my opinion they will keep him and try to make a system based around him like Sporting have done.  

Just now, ZeGuy said:

Did you ever play football or scored a header? Genuine question.

Not at any decent level, but yes.

As I have said many times, he can head a ball well and is successful scoring that way, but you are implying that he is an aerial threat, i.e. he can jump and challenge in the air, which he just doesn't, many people have commented on here that he doesn't challenge for the ball in the air, he'd rather jump a little, hope the defender misses it so that he can get the ball on the ground, nothing wrong with that, but he just doesn't challenge for the ball in the air. More often than not, that just results in the opposition getting the ball. I am sure he is being an 'intelligent player' and I am being naive for wanting to see a big player like him actually challenge and win the aerial duels you think he is so good at.

Perhaps it is semantics of what an 'aerial duel' is. 

2 minutes ago, Redouane said:

70 pages ans the debate on whether to keep or sell Slimani is still going on. In the end, our opinions don't mean jack, its Shakey and management who decide. In my opinion they will keep him and try to make a system based around him like Sporting have done.  

Not a chance. The system will be first and foremost based on Vardy. And rightly so.

The real question is can Slim and Vardy play together. If yes, he'll stay, if not he'll go.

For me, "aerial duels" is something defenders and cavemen forwards in non league do.

When I say good in the air, in the context of a striker, I mean scoring with his head.

I don't want us signing strikers that are good Sunday league target men to play long balls at.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

For me, "aerial duels" is something defenders and cavemen forwards in non league do.

When I say good in the air, in the context of a striker, I mean scoring with his head.

I don't want us signing strikers that are good Sunday league target men to play long balls at.

Thankfully we had someone who could do it last night.

18 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

Not at any decent level, but yes.

As I have said many times, he can head a ball well and is successful scoring that way, but you are implying that he is an aerial threat, i.e. he can jump and challenge in the air, which he just doesn't, many people have commented on here that he doesn't challenge for the ball in the air, he'd rather jump a little, hope the defender misses it so that he can get the ball on the ground, nothing wrong with that, but he just doesn't challenge for the ball in the air. More often than not, that just results in the opposition getting the ball. I am sure he is being an 'intelligent player' and I am being naive for wanting to see a big player like him actually challenge and win the aerial duels you think he is so good at.

Perhaps it is semantics of what an 'aerial duel' is. 

I did too. I remember that scoring a header being one of the most difficult things to execute. Never was good at it. It's not about the heading but the run. How to escape the defender, get in position and the right timing.

Yeah, it's probably semantics. Ulloa is way better at defending headers, no question. His work yesterday in the second half was crucial and he did extremely well. But when it comes to positioning, awareness finish, attacking headers, runs in and to the box, Slim blows him out of the water and anyone, I repeat anyone, thinking the contrary is wrong. Because I said so. Or more seriously because every single game he played showed how lethal he is in the air and how much of a threat he is in the box.

Now does he fit Leicester's system? That's the real question.

For the record I think he's a good player and a significant upgrade on Ulloa (who was excellent himself last night) but whether he's any good or not is totally irrelevant when he can't stay fit for more than 3 games in a row.

If we picked a team based purely on work rate, apart from being back in the Championship, Ulloa would edge Slimani (though the haters refuse to acknowledge Slim does actually put a real shift in when he plays). If we look at anything remotely linked to what makes a good football player, Slimani will play ahead of Ulloa every day of the week. Really odd infatuation some Leicester fans have with Ulloa. He's bang average at best. Similar to Matty James. Really weird.

14 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Thankfully we had someone who could do it last night.

Yeah I'll give you that.

But then:

A. It didn't actually work, it proved fairly straightforward for a well organised defence to keep out.

B. It was very much a last resort. There's a reason Leo rarely features for us unless we're desperate to try something different in the dying stages.

1 hour ago, Emilio Lestavez said:

Did you see Ulloa last night? Came out with a lot of credit for me. Nobody's saying he's Ronaldo but they are saying he's good at what he does

Yes he was good last night. But every now and then players have good games, even the ones that don't have much quality, remember Eder against France in Euro 2016 Final? The man doesn't have quality and yet scored the goal that won us the Euro. My point is Ulloa doesn't have much quality but he played good yesterday because he was motivated and Atletico was trying to hold on to the lead since Leicester needed to score 3 goals, so they let Leicester play their game in the 2nd half. Also Ulloa isn't even near Slimani in quality, he is good winning flick-ons and have a bit of work rate, but that is about it honestly.

15 minutes ago, Eagle10 said:

Yes he was good last night. But every now and then players have good games, even the ones that don't have much quality, remember Eder against France in Euro 2016 Final? The man doesn't have quality and yet scored the goal that won us the Euro. My point is Ulloa doesn't have much quality but he played good yesterday because he was motivated and Atletico was trying to hold on to the lead since Leicester needed to score 3 goals, so they let Leicester play their game in the 2nd half. Also Ulloa isn't even near Slimani in quality, he is good winning flick-ons and have a bit of work rate, but that is about it honestly.

Your apparent level of bias toward Slim and against Ulloa is actually, quite staggering. It makes trying to reach some kind of middle ground, impossible.

54 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Your apparent level of bias toward Slim and against Ulloa is actually, quite staggering. It makes trying to reach some kind of middle ground, impossible.

I don't have any bias, just the truth. Ulloa doesn't have much quality, he isn't quick, his feet are bad and he doesn't score many goals. He does work hard, win aerial duels, and is alright holding the ball, but to me that isn't enough. Slimani is far superior in my opinion, but everyone has their opinion, we just need to respect each other. I accept every opinion but when people say like "he is a donkey, doesn't play jack" and stuff like that without giving any arguments, that is quite hard to accept.

Sorry but from what i've seen from Ulloa in the last few games he pisses all over Slimani.

Keep Ulloa (Although he might still struggle to get regular game time and thus still want to move on) and see if we can flog Slimani to China, please! :fc:

Archived