Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

Not Ready Yet

Morning. :)

There seem to be a lot of people on here posting about their belief that we should be signing players ready for the first team straight away and most folk are completely reasonable in their thinking but some tend to go a wee bit far and start crying every time we sign someone unknown or under the age of 21.  It seems obvious to me, but hardly noted on here, that Claudio (and his team) have been given the remit of building for the future and setting the club up for progression in the long term.  If you take last year out of the equation we are clearly slowly working on an upwards trajectory and buying young promising players must have been decided upon as part of the long term plan.  Obviously part of the plan HAS to be that we stay up this year and I agree that we do need a signing or two that can have an instant effect on the team but it does not mean we should write off promising youngsters before they even sign just because it may take a wee while.  I honestly think that players like Amartey, Chilwell, Grey, Kapustka, N'didi, even Musa and Mendy at 24 all have the potential to be Premier League players and I cannot see how writing them off does anyone any good.

None of us thought that many of last year's team would ever be Premier League winners so you have to give people time.  Amartey I feel for, thrown in due to injuries in a position he was not really even bought for and he gets slated on here because he is not as good as Kante, one of the best players in the world in said position.  Even if he clearly does need work it is hardly his fault.  The blame should lie with Claudio if anyone but even he I feel should be given more slack.  Alongside the youngsters which were clearly never meant to be an immediate fixture in the line up, we tried to sign a number of players in the summer that would have had a more immediate effect (Keane, Silva, etc) and were not able to bring them in.  The player that we had signed to go straight into the midfield also sustained a long term injury so we were forced to utilise the younger players that had only really been bought in as ones for the future anyway.  Now whether that is Claudio's fault or our recruitment team, none of us know and certainly none of us has the authority to know exactly what happened and start calling for anyone's head.  It seems to me like a mixture of bad luck and maybe not quite realising the effect Kante's departure would have.  Clearly we were going to be worse without him but I don't think anyone realised just how much of a difference he would make.

Anyway, I know this is a forum and we are all entitled to our views and we certainly need to change some things and Claudio does indeed seem to be a little stubborn in his tactics but if anyone has earned the right to be given another transfer window and a bit of time then it is him.  We have no divine right to win the league, or even be in it.  We all feel a bit annoyed because it felt like last season's miracle might enable us to kick on and move forwards and many feel that it was a missed opportunity but I think it looks like this season was about buying some young promising players, doing as well as we could in the Champions League and simply surviving in the Premiership (whether this is true and, if so, whether it comes from Top or Claudio who knows).  This may not turn out to be wise but if we manage to survive this year and have a wee run in the Champions League I genuinely think we will be in a better place next season than we were before last season which has to be the aim.

Anyway, let's all hope we start winning a few games and that (alongside the young promising players who may need time and patience) we manage to bring someone in who can have a more positive immediate effect.

Up the Foxes.

Rumble.

X

Entirely agree that we're building for the future, and think we've got super owners to put money into that scenario.  Ignoring relegation issues (we're not going to go down) The future is looking very bright....but I do fear there's going to be a queue at the exit doors during the next few transfer windows through lack of playing time for our future stars.

Do you think that the 'Building for The future' players will still want to be here if we get relegated! Some of them are already Big time Charlie's. I think they will be off like a shot as most of our highly paid first team will be. Then it will be back to the dark ages again! I hope the owner don't let this happen, but the Club is a business not a hobby so let's take the power away from the players and give it back to the clubs. Rant over.

2 minutes ago, bigboy said:

Do you think that the 'Building for The future' players will still want to be here if we get relegated! Some of them are already Big time Charlie's. I think they will be off like a shot as most of our highly paid first team will be. Then it will be back to the dark ages again! I hope the owner don't let this happen, but the Club is a business not a hobby so let's take the power away from the players and give it back to the clubs. Rant over.

Hello bigboy.

43 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

There seem to be a lot of people on here posting about their belief that we should be signing players ready for the first team straight away and most folk are completely reasonable in their thinking but some tend to go a wee bit far and start crying every time we sign someone unknown or under the age of 21.  It seems obvious to me, but hardly noted on here, that Claudio (and his team) have been given the remit of building for the future and setting the club up for progression in the long term.  If you take last year out of the equation we are clearly slowly working on an upwards trajectory and buying young promising players must have been decided upon as part of the long term plan.  Obviously part of the plan HAS to be that we stay up this year and I agree that we do need a signing or two that can have an instant effect on the team but it does not mean we should write off promising youngsters before they even sign just because it may take a wee while.  I honestly think that players like Amartey, Chilwell, Grey, Kapustka, N'didi, even Musa and Mendy at 24 all have the potential to be Premier League players and I cannot see how writing them off does anyone any good.

None of us thought that many of last year's team would ever be Premier League winners so you have to give people time.  Amartey I feel for, thrown in due to injuries in a position he was not really even bought for and he gets slated on here because he is not as good as Kante, one of the best players in the world in said position.  Even if he clearly does need work it is hardly his fault.  The blame should lie with Claudio if anyone but even he I feel should be given more slack.  Alongside the youngsters which were clearly never meant to be an immediate fixture in the line up, we tried to sign a number of players in the summer that would have had a more immediate effect (Keane, Silva, etc) and were not able to bring them in.  The player that we had signed to go straight into the midfield also sustained a long term injury so we were forced to utilise the younger players that had only really been bought in as ones for the future anyway.  Now whether that is Claudio's fault or our recruitment team, none of us know and certainly none of us has the authority to know exactly what happened and start calling for anyone's head.  It seems to me like a mixture of bad luck and maybe not quite realising the effect Kante's departure would have.  Clearly we were going to be worse without him but I don't think anyone realised just how much of a difference he would make.

Anyway, I know this is a forum and we are all entitled to our views and we certainly need to change some things and Claudio does indeed seem to be a little stubborn in his tactics but if anyone has earned the right to be given another transfer window and a bit of time then it is him.  We have no divine right to win the league, or even be in it.  We all feel a bit annoyed because it felt like last season's miracle might enable us to kick on and move forwards and many feel that it was a missed opportunity but I think it looks like this season was about buying some young promising players, doing as well as we could in the Champions League and simply surviving in the Premiership (whether this is true and, if so, whether it comes from Top or Claudio who knows).  This may not turn out to be wise but if we manage to survive this year and have a wee run in the Champions League I genuinely think we will be in a better place next season than we were before last season which has to be the aim.

Anyway, let's all hope we start winning a few games and that (alongside the young promising players who may need time and patience) we manage to bring someone in who can have a more positive immediate effect.

Up the Foxes.

Rumble.

X

I've been saying this for months. (This is my @Col city fan moment.) 

4 minutes ago, weller54 said:

In the summer our title winning team will be broken up big style.. I can see Schmeichel,  Simpson,  Huth,  Drinkwater,  Mahrez, Ulloa,  Schlupp,  King and Albrighton gone by the start of next season... Big rebuild is on the cards. 

Perhaps would not go that far but we will certainly loose a few.

Mahrez for sure, he already looks like he wants out. Drinkwater if there is any truth in the ManUtd rumor.

Would be more than happy to drive Schlupp, King and Albrighton to whom ever wants them.

24 minutes ago, bigboy said:

I doubt there's many in our highly paid first team will be wanted by the range of clubs that can afford their high wages. 

So getting in 2 prem proven centre backs to play now. Aged 24/26 is not building for the future?

Players with 5/7yrs left at the top are a future plan. But capable of getting us out the phoo right now. Kids like Kapustka are not going to keep us up.

56 minutes ago, weller54 said:

In the summer our title winning team will be broken up big style.. I can see Schmeichel,  Simpson,  Huth,  Drinkwater,  Mahrez, Ulloa,  Schlupp,  King and Albrighton gone by the start of next season... Big rebuild is on the cards. 

To be fair I'd only really be upset about schmeichel, drinkwater and mahrez going out of those, might do us good :)

5 minutes ago, sylofox said:

So getting in 2 prem proven centre backs to play now. Aged 24/26 is not building for the future?

Players with 5/7yrs left at the top are a future plan. But capable of getting us out the phoo right now. Kids like Kapustka are not going to keep us up.

Yep I agree Sylo

good mixture of now and future Ndidi

7 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Was that directed at my original post?  I do not understand? :)

9 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Schmeichel, Gray, Drinkwater. Granted there are others which i wouldn't wish away however wouldn't loose sleep if they left.

So a half season of misfiring for mahrez is enough for you to discount two years of brilliance? And you'd not care about keeping the best LB we've had in years (Fuchs)? 

This forum is genuinely becoming more and more embarrassing as this season goes on.

16 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

So a half season of misfiring for mahrez is enough for you to discount two years of brilliance? And you'd not care about keeping the best LB we've had in years (Fuchs)? 

This forum is genuinely becoming more and more embarrassing as this season goes on.

As i said above, there are others i wouldn't wish away but wouldn't loose sleep over. Mahrez doesn't want to be here, i think thats clear to see. Fuchs is good yes and i wouldn't wish him away, but again, wouldn't loose sleep if he did.

The three above are the ones i would fight to keep. Its just my personal preference, if you don't agree thats fine.

I didn't mean it as a dig at other players, there are many i like for different reasons and others i would sell in an instance like Schlupp and Slimani.

32 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It saddens me how much some of our fans dislike so many of our players so readily...

I personally dislike 2 and they are Schlupp and Slimani. Yes Slimani will score now and again but the law of averages say if you stand in the box for long enough you will get your head on a ball and one will go in.

Besides that he can't use his feet and his work rate is poor.

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Up the Foxes.

Rumble.

X

@RumbleFox and @Swan Lesta

You know I love you both :thumbup: but you are really saying what I've been saying. If you REALLY read.

I've made one main point over the weekend, in another thread. That being, don't be too quick to write-off our summer signings (I don't think Amartey was a summer signing, wasn't he last Jan?) until we see them in a good team.

Rather than the usual Neanderthal responses of Musa is 'shite', what a waste of money and alll that gubbins, I'm suggesting he isn't, and that if he was playing in a free-flowing, confident side, we'd see a different player. The same goes for Slimani in my opinion, although he's older of course.

Ive also made the point, time and time again, that I feel sorry for Amartey. He's been thrown into the mix far too quickly IMO, and even then, played in a 442 where he's not at his most comfortable. So, yes, I've made it clear, I don't think he's yet good enough to be a regular first team starter (and the same goes with King) but he's had to be because we've been left very short in the CM area. That's not been fair either on the player, or the team.

Secondly, this thing about throwing in the youngsters 'to build for the future', can either be done very well or very badly.

Ferguson did it extremely well at Utd. He built his squads on getting the right seasoned professionals into the teams, and then introducing the youngsters to play around them, to gain confidence from them and to learn from them. This worked, as we all know, amazingly well.

Clough was a master of it. Introducing the likes of Colin Todd to the Derby side at exactly the time he needed to (aided of course by Taylor), to be the quality player amidst a growing and improving number of up and coming talent.

Now then.....look at how WE'VE done this. How anyone can suggest it can be a good thing to be playing young Amartey in a side which go away from home like we've done this season, to get absolutely battered, is beyond me. How can if be good for confidence to go to Man Utd and to Liverpool and to get completely outclassed, shipping in four goals a time?

Our summer recruitment has been imbalanced. We've gone for lots of strikers when we should have gotten a class central midfielder and a very good young centre back to fill-in and to learn from Wes and Huth. The class, experienced centre mid could have taught Amartey about positioning, for example, and he could have come into the side, intially for cup games and then for injuries.

I don't argue particularly with the OP. I'm all for developing talent (though not in the @Thracian ) mould. But it's got to be done well, gradually and properly. I don't think we've done it well at all. And that's probably why we are where we are, as in, flirting with relegation and leaking goals like a bloody sieve.

Finally, our more experienced players have to hold their bloody hands up as well. The likes of Mahrez and Wes have been shocking and compared to last season, look completely different players. They need to take a hard look at themselves and start putting fookin shifts in. If they are to be role models to the young lads, they have to start showing it.

3 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

As i said above, there are others i wouldn't wish away but wouldn't loose sleep over. Mahrez doesn't want to be here, i think thats clear to see. Fuchs is good yes and i wouldn't wish him away, but again, wouldn't loose sleep if he did.

The three above are the ones i would fight to keep. Its just my personal preference, if you don't agree thats fine.

I didn't mean it as a dig at other players, there are many i like for different reasons and others i would sell in an instance like Schlupp and Slimani.

You wouldn't lose sleep if we lost one of the few who've kept their game up, and who if we lost would leave us with a 19 year old kid with one PL appearance under his belt and Jeff schlupp as our LB options until we managed to find an alternative  (assuming we got one in at all)?

If that's actually the case then I'd suggest you're going well overboard. 

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Was that directed at my original post?  I do not understand? :)

No its to point out you can buy players older than 19 for a future plan. You can buy prem proven and be planning for the future.

Also the young players may not develope as thought.

35 minutes ago, sylofox said:

No its to point out you can buy players older than 19 for a future plan. You can buy prem proven and be planning for the future.

Also the young players may not develope as thought.

I agree completely.  It is a balance.  Buy youngsters very much for the future, younger players that can slot it but still have years to improve and older, more experienced players for the short term.  Young players may not, of course, develop but it is a bit of a gamble, a necessary gamble I think as waiting until they are older means that if they do turn out to be good they are very difficult to buy.  My point was, really, that we should be patient with the younger players on a personal level and that it is not THEIR fault if they are not ready.  Some people on here go way too far.

Anyway, we all want the same thing.  Up the foxes!

Archived