Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Well they would buy them from someone else so it would be pointless. If the Saudi govt there'd be an ISIS type govt to replace them, blackmailing the world by threatening to with hold oil supplies. At least we have a little bit of influence over atm.

Why would you want to make a pointless gesture that will cost jobs and would probably make things worse?

lol 

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Well they would buy them from someone else so it would be pointless. If the Saudi govt fell there'd be an ISIS type govt to replace them, blackmailing the world by threatening to with hold oil supplies. At least we have a little bit of influence over atm.

Why would you want to make a pointless gesture that will cost jobs and would probably make things worse?

Your view is totally fine on this and of course you're welcome to it, but I'm not sure you can now say much on terrorism or sponsors/supporters of terrorism without appearing to be something of a hypocrite.

Edited by leicsmac

Trump attacking Qatar while praising the Saudis, which from an American military perspective is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. At least Qatar isn't propped up by Wahhabism :rolleyes:

Absurdity in the Oval Office!

Edited by UPinCarolina

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Your view is totally fine on this and of course you're welcome to it, but I'm not sure you can now say much on terrorism or sponsors/supporters of terrorism without appearing to be something of a hypocrite.

In what way?

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

In what way?

Because you're advocating the continuation of deals with a country that definitely indirectly (and possibly directly) sponsors a leading terrorist group, thus probably aiding that group financially. I know you consider the alternative to be worse overall, but...

Just now, leicsmac said:

Because you're advocating the continuation of deals with a country that definitely indirectly (and possibly directly) sponsors a leading terrorist group, thus probably aiding that group financially. I know you consider the alternative to be worse overall, but...

We didn't stop trading with Ireland when Corbyn's mates were bombing Manchester and London. 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We didn't stop trading with Ireland when Corbyn's mates were bombing Manchester and London. 

Yep, but it's funny that one is considered good and the other bad simply because of what the country involved can offer us materially. Like I said, hypocrisy.

You just make yourself sound silly these days with this crap mate. Sorry but it's painful.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Yep, but it's funny that one is considered good and the other bad simply because of what the country involved can offer us materially. Like I said, hypocrisy.

I never said the Saudis were all good. They're our allies in the most dangerous part of the world. We need to keep them on side. 

Just now, Webbo said:

I never said the Saudis were all good. They're our allies in the most dangerous part of the world. We need to keep them on side. 

Even when some of them sponsor a terrorist group causing British deaths? I'm pretty sure most of the Irish were/are good, too, but that doesn't stop it being brought up.

I'm sorry Webs, but I'm going to keep plugging this because a double standard based on nothing more than cynical realpolitik and material gain is evident here.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Even when some of them sponsor a terrorist group causing British deaths? I'm pretty sure most of the Irish were/are good, too, but that doesn't stop it being brought up.

I'm sorry Webs, but I'm going to keep plugging this because a double standard based on nothing more than cynical realpolitik and material gain is evident here.

Are you saying all Saudis are terrorist supporters?

Are you saying all Saudis are terrorist supporters?

Nope, and I'm also pretty sure no one on here has said that all Irish are/were IRA supporters, either.

Once again, I'm taking issue with the idea that it is hypocritical to bring up the history of one individual associating with terrorist organisations who have caused British deaths, while supporting the idea of making lucrative business deals with a country/individuals within that country that fund another (unless you're really, REALLY sure where the money goes).

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Nope, and I'm also pretty sure no one on here has said that all Irish are/were IRA supporters, either.

Once again, I'm taking issue with the idea that it is hypocritical to bring up the history of one individual associating with terrorist organisations who have caused British deaths, while supporting the idea of making lucrative business deals with a country/individuals within that country that fund another (unless you're really, REALLY sure where the money goes).

Govts talking/trading with govts is different from individuals cheering on terrorists. Surely you can see that?

Govts talking/trading with govts is different from individuals cheering on terrorists. Surely you can see that?

Either way a terrorist group is getting supported by a British national or groups of British nationals - financially and/or morally. So...no.

(BTW, I do get the feeling we're going round and round on this one but if you want to think that there's some kind of moral difference here, be my guest and we'll leave it at that.)

Just now, leicsmac said:

Either way a terrorist group is getting supported by a British national or groups of British nationals - financially and/or morally. So...no.

(BTW, I do get the feeling we're going round and round on this one but if you want to think that there's some kind of moral difference here, be my guest and we'll leave it at that.)

So why aren't the people condemning us for trading with the Saudis condemning Corbyn?

3 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So why aren't the people condemning us for trading with the Saudis condemning Corbyn?

Good question. That's hypocritical too.

I have no problems criticising both, but I'd much rather go after folks picking one or the other. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LiberalFox said:

Most people don't think Corbyn ever supported terrorism. 

Well he had a strange way of condemning it.

If you want to continue this lets move it to the general election thread.

• Like 1

The man just gets stranger and stranger.  I've started doing this thing where I ignore US political news as best I can for a week and then go through it all in one sitting much like ignoring a TV show until the end of the season so you can binge watch it all.  Some of the stuff he's been saying in his speeches on his travels and the dumb, dumb tweeting since he got back and after the London attack is insane, how does he still have a job?!

Anyway to lighten the mood:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The man just gets stranger and stranger.  I've started doing this thing where I ignore US political news as best I can for a week and then go through it all in one sitting much like ignoring a TV show until the end of the season so you can binge watch it all.  Some of the stuff he's been saying in his speeches on his travels and the dumb, dumb tweeting since he got back and after the London attack is insane, how does he still have a job?!

Anyway to lighten the mood:

Yeah, thanks for that, Carl.

Magic, mate.

Just now, Buce said:

Yeah, thanks for that, Carl.

Magic, mate.

Sorry I'm in the middle of my binge. If I went into detail on how I felt about everything that's come up (the Khan row on twitter and the stunning tweet that started it, pulling out of the Paris agreement, the 'Pittsburgh not Paris' line, raging about the travel ban on twitter again, his campaign adviser having a go at the press for covering his twittergasms and so on and so forth) you'd be at the foot of a big, beautiful wall of text begging for comic relief in much the same way I was when I came across that video and decided it was a matter of great urgency to make that post :D