Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

7 hours ago, MattP said:

It would break electoral law I think as I'm certain you aren't allowed to meet representatives from foreign countries with the intent of campaigning on what they produce.

Although it happens from all sides, you think the Clinton team wouldn't have met someone from say, Canada if they didnt claim to have some good shit on Trump?

Of course they would.

We dont do cleveland steamers in canada.

Guest FriendlyRam

Poor old donald doesnt seem to know whats gone off with anything lol

That in itself is disturbing tbh,, not knowing what your closest inner circle have gotten up to even currently getting up to,, doesnt seem to have much control does he? lol

Donald in his pyjamas at the ice cream tub (2am), whilst his sons and workers are out on the dirty springs to mind. Donald really should be gone tbh, but its getting mildly entertaining now so keep it up, no one is taking him serious anyway.

Ah yes, the evangelicals and their 'Man of God'. Wonder what they asked for in return for their little prayer and their continued support?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4688194/Evangelical-pastor-prays-Donald-Trump-Oval-Office.html

(Of course it's a DM article but...:whistle:)

And in some different American news, thankfully there's a fuss being made by a lot of people about the FCC and their plans to roll back 'net neutrality' rules.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/12/google-amazon-protest-against-fcc-reverse-net-neutrality.html

Sneak preview of life without adequate consideration given to ISP's blocking or slowing certain content:

what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram0.jpg

Ah yes, the evangelicals and their 'Man of God'. Wonder what they asked for in return for their little prayer and their continued support?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4688194/Evangelical-pastor-prays-Donald-Trump-Oval-Office.html

(Of course it's a DM article but...:whistle:)

And in some different American news, thankfully there's a fuss being made by a lot of people about the FCC and their plans to roll back 'net neutrality' rules.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/12/google-amazon-protest-against-fcc-reverse-net-neutrality.html

Sneak preview of life without adequate consideration given to ISP's blocking or slowing certain content:

what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram0.thumb.jpg.e2c0bd9938362d17e65b4cd7e609bd4b.jpg

They really need to protect net neutrality. When I lived there I found the choice of ISPs to be terrible and the rates expensive. Same with satellite/cable.

It would be awful if the ISPs were able to charge different rates and provide different speeds for certain sites.

Imagine the "Fox News package"... free access to Breitbart and CNN costs an extra $5 and is relegated to dial up speeds. People already pick and choose what they read about, so it will become much worse.

12 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

They really need to protect net neutrality. When I lived there I found the choice of ISPs to be terrible and the rates expensive. Same with satellite/cable.

It would be awful if the ISPs were able to charge different rates and provide different speeds for certain sites.

Imagine the "Fox News package"... free access to Breitbart and CNN costs an extra $5 and is relegated to dial up speeds. People already pick and choose what they read about, so it will become much worse.

Nah, I'm sure Breitbart access would be free with the Fox News package. They say everything Fox News wants to say but can't without giving up that faintest veneer of respectability, after all. :thumbup:

Might Macron actually be talking some sense into the Don? (Suggestive comments to his wife notwithstanding.)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40597244

Could actually be a pretty productive visit to France, all things considered. Home policy looking a little more shaky while he's away though...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40603068

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40604454

And in something not entirely related to US stuff, just when I think I couldn't like Trudeau any more he picks a former astronaut to a key government position :D:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40598483

That handshake.

:nigel:

What is it with blummin handshakes all of a sudden?

Both these dudes have the nuclear codes.

:wes:

Is it just me, or has the world lost its mind?

At least they're only playing with mild psychological warfare.

But in standing up to Trump, Macron has earned his respect. The UK goes on about its 'special relationship' with the US, but it does appear that the US is as friendly if not friendlier with France. 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

At least they're only playing with mild psychological warfare.

But in standing up to Trump, Macron has earned his respect. The UK goes on about its 'special relationship' with the US, but it does appear that the US is as friendly if not friendlier with France. 

Ever thought they might just actually like each other?

I know it be hard to come to terms with for a lot of people but it just might be true. 

It has been a positive though, shows the state visit can be used in the same way here.

59 minutes ago, MattP said:

I know it be hard to come to terms with for a lot of people but it just might be true. 

It has been a positive though, shows the state visit can be used in the same way here.

Maybe - but in Macron I see someone who is very calculated. I reason it wouldn't matter to him whether he liked Trump or not, if he felt it was important to be onside with America, but equally he is not someone who would be completely subservient.

The fact he was aware of the handshake games on his first meeting with Trump in the US and had come prepared with a counter tactic signalled to me that he's a political figure to be reckoned with. 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/james-obrien-spreading-fake-news-via-bbc-must-watch/

Good read from Douglas about James O' Brien and the BBC again sharing fake news.

Nomani is clearly an incredibly brave woman doing as she has done and we need more like her doing journalism and standing up as she has done.

Doesn't change that while there is a lot of vilification for this administration, the vast majority of it (based on their proposed policy) is justified, and that rather inhibits the opportunity for rational discourse. They're pushing things to 11, so the other side are matching them.

(And while she hasn't written for Breitbart, she has done spoken pieces for them.)

Edit: the comments on that piece are pure gold.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

I'm not entirely sure Trump has many friends, especially in the international leader community.

The way he does business - back when he was a businessman and now - seems to indicate that he believes he has competitors that have to be defeated and followers that need to be inspired...but not friends and allies that he likes.

Edited by leicsmac

On 15/07/2017 at 09:55, MattP said:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/james-obrien-spreading-fake-news-via-bbc-must-watch/

Good read from Douglas about James O' Brien and the BBC again sharing fake news.

I've only looked over it fleetingly but Murray seems fixated by the opening question. 

I actually quite like Douglas Murray. I also like James O'Brien. 

Not such a fan of Trump - though the US knew what they were voting for. Not really sure how we deal with the fact he doesn't appear to be hugely intelligent and does appear ignorant of many political issues. 

7 hours ago, toddybad said:

I've only looked over it fleetingly but Murray seems fixated by the opening question. 

I actually quite like Douglas Murray. I also like James O'Brien. 

Not such a fan of Trump - though the US knew what they were voting for. Not really sure how we deal with the fact he doesn't appear to be hugely intelligent and does appear ignorant of many political issues. 

Your comment highlights the problem that the article alludes to, because that appears to be the starting point for many a commentator on Trump, BBC included.

Now that's understandable, it's a lot of people's base feeling, but it does lead to a problem of objectivity when it comes to reporting. It feels like whatever Trump does is reported with disdain throughout a large part of the media, which helps him push his own 'fake news' agenda.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Your comment highlights the problem that the article alludes to, because that appears to be the starting point for many a commentator on Trump, BBC included.

Now that's understandable, it's a lot of people's base feeling, but it does lead to a problem of objectivity when it comes to reporting. It feels like whatever Trump does is reported with disdain throughout a large part of the media, which helps him push his own 'fake news' agenda.

I definitely agree that the media have given Trump plenty of opportunity to circle the wagons and play the victim due to their reporting of him as a moron. I also think that he is smarter than he lets on.

However...he was elected on a jingoistic, anti-intellectual platform so he has to keep up appearances on that score, and the policy he and his administration put forward reflect that. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if those policy decisions are made because Trump isn't smart or because he's simply appearing not to be - the effect is exactly the same. It's unfortunate that the attacks on him and the attacks on some of the dreadful policy he's trying to enact are getting conflated.

Has anyone else seen (the lord and saviour MKII (not Corbyn)) Trudeau agreeing to pay $10.5 million damages and an official Government apology to Al Qaeda terrorist who killed and blinded another US soldier via grenade attack in Afghanistan. Genuinely baffled and shocked. 

The argument is that the attacker was 16. However, that's fighting age and he hadn't been plucked off the street and forced to do it, he'd been training with them for years prior to the event, and now, gets rewarded. 

With regards to the Obamacare repeal. I think we all knew it was destined to fail. As bad and harsh as Obamacare has been for many, Trump's team have failed to deliver a viable solution. Simply removing Obamacare and starting from scratch isn't an option, you need a definitive plan with thought out pro's outweighing the con's to get it through. I'll admit, it's very far from being my forte though and something I don't know huge amounts about. 

2 hours ago, Darkon84 said:

Has anyone else seen (the lord and saviour MKII (not Corbyn)) Trudeau agreeing to pay $10.5 million damages and an official Government apology to Al Qaeda terrorist who killed and blinded another US soldier via grenade attack in Afghanistan. Genuinely baffled and shocked. 

The argument is that the attacker was 16. However, that's fighting age and he hadn't been plucked off the street and forced to do it, he'd been training with them for years prior to the event, and now, gets rewarded. 

With regards to the Obamacare repeal. I think we all knew it was destined to fail. As bad and harsh as Obamacare has been for many, Trump's team have failed to deliver a viable solution. Simply removing Obamacare and starting from scratch isn't an option, you need a definitive plan with thought out pro's outweighing the con's to get it through. I'll admit, it's very far from being my forte though and something I don't know huge amounts about. 

Here in canada many are not pleased with whats happened nor am i per say.

He was 15 when it went down and considered a young offender in canada. Having said that he was brainwashed by his terrorist father (osamas friend essentially) to know that America  is the enemy.  Picture yourself being born into that ...if all he is ever told is america are devils and his father put him in that situation to begin with then he is a child soldier.

The canadian government had an obligation to protect his rights as a canadian citizen and did nothing to protect the boy at guantanamo (which is in itself a bloody joke and criminal but hey nothing to see here lets move on). Thats another story.

Yes he did something absolutely terrible and he has acknowledged that. Yes he could be considered  a terrorist but you have to look at the big picture. The kid never had a chance given his family background. Again that doesnt excuse his actions but the point is we look at child soldiers differently. Easy to manipulate  and force to do things any normal kid off the street wouldn't do.

Now i also dont believe he should have been given 10 million or so dollars. Thats an absolute joke. Nobody wins here. His life is screwed, the soldiers family he is accused /convicted of killing didnt win nor did the soldier who was badly injured.

15 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Here in canada many are not pleased with whats happened nor am i per say.

He was 15 when it went down and considered a young offender in canada. Having said that he was brainwashed by his terrorist father (osamas friend essentially) to know that America  is the enemy.  Picture yourself being born into that ...if all he is ever told is america are devils and his father put him in that situation to begin with then he is a child soldier.

The canadian government had an obligation to protect his rights as a canadian citizen and did nothing to protect the boy at guantanamo (which is in itself a bloody joke and criminal but hey nothing to see here lets move on). Thats another story.

Yes he did something absolutely terrible and he has acknowledged that. Yes he could be considered  a terrorist but you have to look at the big picture. The kid never had a chance given his family background. Again that doesnt excuse his actions but the point is we look at child soldiers differently. Easy to manipulate  and force to do things any normal kid off the street wouldn't do.

Now i also dont believe he should have been given 10 million or so dollars. Thats an absolute joke. Nobody wins here. His life is screwed, the soldiers family he is accused /convicted of killing didnt win nor did the soldier who was badly injured.

Good reply. I can see it from the other side, how he was brought up being kind of brainwashed, but the payout and official government apology is ridiculous. It's potentially set a dangerous precedent now. 

• Like 1

I hadn't heard of this so looked it up;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/07/world/canada/omar-khadr-apology-guantanamo-bay.amp.html

Helps provide a little context because it's largely out of JT's hands - if Canada has failed its duties according to its own laws and its own courts decide that, there's not much politicians can do in retrospect.

Its also important not to combine two wrongs to decide and ultimate outcome. Thought this was a useful extract to;

In an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, which appeared to have been recorded before the announcement, Mr. Khadr, who was held in a Canadian prison until 2015, said he hoped the apology would help his efforts to lead a normal life.

“I never was angry or upset about what happened,” said Mr. Khadr, who lives in Edmonton, Alberta, and who said it had been difficult to attend school and find jobs because of his “past reputation.”

Asked about the family of the soldier he killed, Sgt. Christopher Speer, Mr. Khadr said that he was “really sorry for their pain.”

Perhaps this helps show, some involved in this are simply a victim of their environment and given the opportunity of another way, some will change course.

Here's hoping that news of this filters through to those that might be tempted to follow one way, in the hope it make direct them another. If it does - that $10 million could seem like value in an overall context.

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Newsnight actually did a fairly decent segment on Trump last night.

They even flashed up a graphic saying nearly a million jobs had been created since he took office, I nearly fell off my chair.