Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Shinji

I found judging Shinji always a toughie - if you look at how effective he shielded the ball, put in a shift and his body into one-on-ones and how he closed down opposing defenders against Stoke, you'd probably have nothing but praise for him. And he did have a great game on Saturday.

However, whenever he has the ball up front, I feel as if it's already a wasted opportunity - when's the last time he scored from open play in the league? Four months ago?

He's usually the synonym for rather poor ball control and entertaining slip-ups on the pitch, which in their incidence don't really paint the portrait of a proper footballer (yes, I respect his record with Japan, behave!).

Maybe it's time to get over the perception of him being a striker in the classic sense and more of a highly effective utility man that paves the way for others up front, linking up our (central) midfield with Jamie Vardy. Okazaki will never be our No. 1 striker, he just fulfills a completely different role with the club than he does with the national side.

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

If Shinji could stay on his feet, he would be playing for Real Madrid. Fact.

That might be a bit of a stretch, and I'm a dyed in the wool Shinji-san supporter.  

However, I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the PL to do the same job. What Shinji does, makes the team around him better. 

Just now, UPinCarolina said:

That might be a bit of a stretch, and I'm a dyed in the wool Shinji-san supporter.  

However, I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the PL to do the same job. What Shinji does, makes the team around him better. 

Wait, I forgot the emoji on my post.. 

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Maybe it's time to get over the perception of him being a striker in the classic sense and more of a highly effective utility man that paves the way for others up front, linking up our (central) midfield with Jamie Vardy. Okazaki will never be our No. 1 striker, he just fulfills a completely different role with the club than he does with the national side.

Last year, Japanese NT coach Vahid Halilhodžić is said to have jokingly told Shinji something to the effect of: "I expect you to play as a striker for this team, not as a CB or whatever it is that you do at Leicester." 

I do wonder how people would have seen Shinji if he joined the team as a midfielder instead of a forward.  Granted, it's a different proposition whether he would have grabbed a position over Inler in that case. 

Personally think he is quite underrated, we rarely look the same without him and he really helps us press high up the pitch. It's evident when he comes off that we seem to drop off the opposition. 

1 minute ago, Harry96 said:

Just frustrating he doesn't get more goals really. 

Or directly create many either. I would say his two best and sometimes only qualities, are his work rate in closing down and making runs, and his ability to hold the ball up in gaps between midfield and attack.

If he scored more and had more assists, then he really would be a top 6 player. I'm happy for him to keep his place though as we do tend to play a lot better with him in the side and I think like Vardy, he helps set the tempo for the rest of the team. 

He's fantastic off of the ball but usually terrible with it, he's the best we've got in terms of mobility and link up play but we'd be much more dangerous if we had a player that could score and assist whilst working just as hard.

I saw someone mention it the other day about but didn't think it was true but he's genuinely made no assists since he's been here lol

20 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Or directly create many either. I would say his two best and sometimes only qualities, are his work rate in closing down and making runs, and his ability to hold the ball up in gaps between midfield and attack.

If he scored more and had more assists, then he really would be a top 6 player. I'm happy for him to keep his place though as we do tend to play a lot better with him in the side and I think like Vardy, he helps set the tempo for the rest of the team. 

He couldn't have connected more cleanly with that overhead kick he attempted the other day. He seems to try one fairly often, and does fantastically to get himself in the right positions for it.

One of these days it's going to fly in and be a guaranteed goal of the season.

Just now, Xen said:

He couldn't have connected more cleanly with that overhead kick he attempted the other day. He seems to try one fairly often, and does fantastically to get himself in the right positions for it.

One of these days it's going to fly in and be a guaranteed goal of the season.

He is often in great positions to score. His movement is very good. He just isn't very good with the ball at his feet or clinical enough infront of goal. If he was, then he would be a sensational player. He is great at what he does though and that is working for us at the moment, so I'm happy for him to start each week. 

1 minute ago, UPinCarolina said:

Anyone know what kind of odds can be had on a Shinji goal today? He's due for something bonkers. 

Bonkers as in a diving header from the edge of the box into the top corner...

or bonkers as in he'll control it with his left, go to shoot with his right, but accidentally kick his other leg, fall over knocking the ball against the post, where it bounces back out, hits him in the back of the head and in?

Because with Shinji, both are equally likely lol

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Bonkers as in a diving header from the edge of the box into the top corner...

or bonkers as in he'll control it with his left, go to shoot with his right, but accidentally kick his other leg, fall over knocking the ball against the post, where it bounces back out, hits him in the back of the head and in?

Because with Shinji, both are equally likely lol

I'm imagining a proper worldie, as he only seems to score overhead bicycle kicks, diving headers, or balls that don't actually touch the net. 

He is very effective for us. While at times he can be frustrating I think he's great and I love the guy. I'm not saying we couldn't upgrade on him but the balance he brings to our team is perfect

okazaki has 2 goals and 0 assists in 1309 minutes of PL football, that's a goal every 654,5 minutes. And people wonder why some don't rate him, and don't even say "but..but he is not a striker", he isn't playing as a DM or something, he is playing in an attacking role and 2 goals is not enough. 

As long as he doesn't have the ball at his feet for longer than 2 seconds he is great. After those two seconds though.. lol

I imagine we'll see someone else come in this Summer though, someone who can run as much but also pass and score. If Shinji could do both of those on top of all the running we'd be unstoppable.

Archived