winchesterton

Derby/Notts County FCs

37 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

The thing about Notts County is that isn't an abbreviation, their official name is Notts, what's that about?

That crossed my mind as well - but you know, one problem at a time.

9 hours ago, Wookie said:

Stockport?

Found this.

"In 1890 the Club changed their name to Stockport County Association Football Club (it is believed as a result of Stockport becoming a County Borough in 1889)."

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

The thing about Notts County is that isn't an abbreviation, their official name is Notts, what's that about?

I've also found that the easiest way to annoy a Forest fan is to call them 'Notts' Forest. Such a simple tactic yet so effective :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

Notts is short for Nottinghamshire as Leics. is short for Leicestershire and differentiates it from Leic. for the City of Leicester.

Another little fun fact. 

Port Vale and Arsenal are the only 2 English league clubs whos names are not derived from a geographical location.

22 minutes ago, Koke said:

Another little fun fact. 

Port Vale and Arsenal are the only 2 English league clubs whos names are not derived from a geographical location.

Crystal palace?

is in Croydon.

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I've also found that the easiest way to annoy a Forest fan is to call them 'Notts' Forest. Such a simple tactic yet so effective :thumbup:

Wesley Morgan is another, they can't help themselves from correcting you. lol 

7 hours ago, davieG said:

Notts is short for Nottinghamshire as Leics. is short for Leicestershire and differentiates it from Leic. for the City of Leicester.

I know that but why not call themselves Nottingham County? Our name isn't Leics City.

6 hours ago, Koke said:

Another little fun fact. 

MK Dons'  name must be derived from two locations that are further apart than any other combined-locations-named-club's-locations (i.e. Brighton & Hove). Though technically the "dons" part isn't a direct geographical reference, so much as a reference to people of a different geographic background ....in which case Plymouth Argyle is probably the most distant-combined-names-club's-geographic-based-name-combination...er, club. 

At any rate MK Dons must be the only English league club who officially abbreviates their name (apart from FC/AFC etc).

20 hours ago, Koke said:

Another little fun fact. 

Don't quote me on this, but I am sure Port Vale were named after a geographical location when they were first formed.

Something to do with ports on a canal, near where they played their original home games.

This goes back to an ole Vale supporting mate I had at school, and I went to school a long time ago, so cannot remember the full story.

Arsenal were originally Woolwich Arsenal which is a geographical location when they moved they dropped the Woolwich bit.

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 09:48, Aus Fox said:

Don't quote me on this, but I am sure Port Vale were named after a geographical location when they were first formed.

Something to do with ports on a canal, near where they played their original home games.

This goes back to an ole Vale supporting mate I had at school, and I went to school a long time ago, so cannot remember the full story.

Port Vale were formed at Port Vale House and were originally Burslem Port Vale.