Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Gray - considering future

Demari Gray has a big season coming up.  He has bags of talent and his pace scares defences to death.  His biggest problem is his decision making - 2 times out of 3, his final touch is not the best option for the team.  This problem is highlighted when he starts a game as he has more time to be involved.  When he comes off the bench with 15 minutes to go, he doesn't make the same number of istakes purely because he hasn't got time.

If Mahrez goes, I expect we will see A LOT more of him this season, but if Mahrez stays I still believe Gray will get more game time.  Mahrez simply isn't the guaranteed starter that he was last year.

Still got big hopes for Gray. I think this is mainly just agent talk and him trying to get a better deal etc, which is the norm these days. I think he knows that next season could be his big chance for us. He still has a lot of maturing to do, but his natural talent is there for everyone to see, and as long as his decision making improves, which it surely will, he could be a very good Premier League winger. Hope Shakey shows him more faith next season and unlike last season, when it was clear Mahrez was having another off day, I hope that Shakey will be quick to throw Gray on this season. 

45 minutes ago, Thracian said:

And it will be a worse one this season if we don't replace Mahrez properly. 

Maybe.

However, my view of Mahrez I believe is different yours based on last season.

Title winning RM yes, but the guy from the season just gone, wouldn't be hard to replace at all. In fact pro rata per minute I believe Gray was superior in assists in the PL (?) and removing Mahrez's penalties, there was not a lot in it re: goals either.

1 hour ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Maybe.

Title winning RM yes, but the guy from the season just gone, wouldn't be hard to replace at all. In fact pro rata per minute I believe Gray was superior in assists in the PL (?) and removing Mahrez's penalties, there was not a lot in it re: goals either.

The majority of teams game plan last season was to stop Mahrez & cut out any link between him and Vardy. When u are being doubled/trebled up against of course performance & stats will be affected.

5 minutes ago, Albert said:

The majority of teams game plan last season was to stop Mahrez & cut out any link between him and Vardy. When u are being doubled/trebled up against of course performance & stats will be affected.

It does, but then passing to a team mate once in a while is a good way to resolve that issue I think you will find.

It's just a shame such 'out of the box thinking' was not put into action.

2 hours ago, nnfox said:

Demari Gray has a big season coming up.  He has bags of talent and his pace scares defences to death.  His biggest problem is his decision making - 2 times out of 3, his final touch is not the best option for the team.  This problem is highlighted when he starts a game as he has more time to be involved.  When he comes off the bench with 15 minutes to go, he doesn't make the same number of istakes purely because he hasn't got time.

If Mahrez goes, I expect we will see A LOT more of him this season, but if Mahrez stays I still believe Gray will get more game time.  Mahrez simply isn't the guaranteed starter that he was last year.

Mahrez is out of the equation for me and I see less than 1 chance in 20 that Gray has the ability to replace him. Even what you've set casts doubt on the lad because 1 good decision out of three for 20/25 minutes a game is poor reward for the faith so many seem to show in him.

I'd want a lot better decision-making, much quicker seeing of the pictures before making those decisions, lots more involvement in games even when he's up against it and a much greater end product in terms of goals, assists and other positive contributions.

Finally I'll like to be convinced he actually wants to play in our team in the way that so many clearly do.

Because right now all I'm convinced of is a lad that wants to earn lots of money on the back of flamboyant but limited-input football.

Shakespeare seems to disagree with me and to greatly value the lad so I'll emphasise here and now that I would love to be wrong and will happily say so should the case be made. But I don't mean a one-off game, praiseworthy though that would be. But significant contributions game after game whether he's the star or not.         

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Maybe.

What disappoints me more than Mahrez's disappointing season was Gray's failure to make a case for more game time. Like a Catherine Wheel, he usually came in with a whoosh but very soon there was just a flickering flame and then nothing. 

When Albrighton made mistakes he was like a man possessed trying to remedy the situation. If he delivered a bad cross, he tried again and again. His head never dropped an inch nor his demeanour.

Like so many others who perfectly fit the character of our team he dared to be bad, he dared to keep trying things, he dared to run himself to a standstill and to believe that he'd get through it and and finally help us in whatever way to achieve something.It really does take guts to stay involved in a game where things are going wrong both for you and for others and the crowd are getting uppity.

But we have so many players who do keep trying and believing. And if Gray needs a hero to look to he could so easily turn to Ronaldo who sets a shining example for constantly improving his game and persisting with this, that and anything else he can think of to make things happen and to make defenders uncomfortable.

Wingers don't win every battle but they need to develop an outlook which refuses to give defenders a moment's peace whatever they say and do to make life difficult. 

Gray's not like that at all as yet. Let him know you're there, torment him some, get tight enough to keep his head down and he soon quietens down  But the greats lose the ball once, twice, however many times and still come at you again til they force a mistake and finally unhinge even organised defences.     

16 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Mahrez is out of the equation for me and I see less than 1 chance in 20 that Gray has the ability to replace him. Even what you've set casts doubt on the lad because 1 good decision out of three for 20/25 minutes a game is poor reward for the faith so many seem to show in him.

I'd want a lot better decision-making, much quicker seeing of the pictures before making those decisions, lots more involvement in games even when he's up against it and a much greater end product in terms of goals, assists and other positive contributions.

Finally I'll like to be convinced he actually wants to play in our team in the way that so many clearly do.

Because right now all I'm convinced of is a lad that wants to earn lots of money on the back of flamboyant but limited-input football.

Shakespeare seems to disagree with me and to greatly value the lad so I'll emphasise here and now that I would love to be wrong and will happily say so should the case be made. But I don't mean a one-off game, praiseworthy though that would be. But significant contributions game after game whether he's the star or not.         

I largely agree here.  I do think he has bags of potential though and he is young enough to still develop.  I would rather he be given the chance to realise his potential here than elsewhere though.

You are spot on about the money thing.  I've said it before but I look at Chilwell and see a lad who wants to play football and then I look at Gray and see one who wants to be a footballer.  There is a subtle difference. 

4 hours ago, nnfox said:

I largely agree here.  I do think he has bags of potential though and he is young enough to still develop.  I would rather he be given the chance to realise his potential here than elsewhere though.

You are spot on about the money thing.  I've said it before but I look at Chilwell and see a lad who wants to play football and then I look at Gray and see one who wants to be a footballer.  There is a subtle difference. 

We'll see how it pans out but I'd be bringing in some insurance pdq. 

It's interesting you talk of subtle differences.

There's Morgan - an absolute giant in terms of achievement - saying how he welcomes competition and considers it healthy for the team while Gray's  effectively saying "play me or else".

The problem for Shakespeare is that if he lets one player hold a gun to his head there's little but integrity to stop other players doing the same, and I know which attitude I prefer for all that I understand the sometimes justified frustrations of people who think they're being  overlooked.

Bottom line? It's team spirit won us The Premiership. And we should never forget it. 

2 hours ago, the fox said:

Thinking about starting a gray agenda. Anything less than Marc's work rate and riyad's poty season output and he's getting slated lol

People like Ronaldo would respond to that positively.

There's a big difference between the two. 

Ronaldo demands a lot of people but starts with himself. 

Gray makes demands while sitting on a sand dune instead of a mountain.  

2 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

It does, but then passing to a team mate once in a while is a good way to resolve that issue I think you will find.

It's just a shame such 'out of the box thinking' was not put into action.

U talking about Mahrez or Demi Gray? 

1 hour ago, Thracian said:

Agree with your points in regards to decision making etc and I'm sure that will come with age & experience.

For me whenever he was involved he was trying too hard to make an impact rather then keeping it simple at the appropriate times.

In regards to his attitude I think the management could see that it was getting to his head slightly at one point last season and brought him down a few pegs after an incident when he back chatted to Ranieri half way through a training session. He was sent inside immediately and told to not return until he changed his attitude. 

I think this was the tough love he needed at that time and abit of a wake up call to show that he hadn't  made it yet and still had lots to learn which he's taken on board fully. It was good management.

Everyone knows he's a great talent but this has to be nurtured with patience, especially from us fans and he can't be viewed as a Mahrez replacement if/when he leaves.

He knows he's at the right place at this time in his career and I'm sure we'll all see improvements in his all round game every match he plays.

9 hours ago, brucey said:

Gray just turned 21. It seems to me that the club has a wage cap on players under 21, probably about 25k or so which is what Chilly and Wilf are on, I'd expect them to get improved contracts next year once they hit 21. Exception made for Nacho as it probably was needed to tempt him here.

So N'didi is only on 25k? Doubt it

2 hours ago, Thracian said:

What disappoints me more than Mahrez's disappointing season was Gray's failure to make a case for more game time. Like a Catherine Wheel, he usually came in with a whoosh but very soon there was just a flickering flame and then nothing. 

When Albrighton made mistakes he was like a man possessed trying to remedy the situation. If he delivered a bad cross, he tried again and again. His head never dropped an inch nor his demeanour.

Like so many others who perfectly fit the character of our team he dared to be bad, he dared to keep trying things, he dared to run himself to a standstill and to believe that he'd get through it and and finally help us in whatever way to achieve something.It really does take guts to stay involved in a game where things are going wrong both for you and for others and the crowd are getting uppity.

But we have so many players who do keep trying and believing. And if Gray needs a hero to look to he could so easily turn to Ronaldo who sets a shining example for constantly improving his game and persisting with this, that and anything else he can think of to make things happen and to make defenders uncomfortable.

Wingers don't win every battle but they need to develop an outlook which refuses to give defenders a moment's peace whatever they say and do to make life difficult. 

Gray's not like that at all as yet. Let him know you're there, torment him some, get tight enough to keep his head down and he soon quietens down  But the greats lose the ball once, twice, however many times and still come at you again til they force a mistake and finally unhinge even organised defences.     

I don't disagree re: Gray although I didn't see Mahrez show any of the attitude you quite rightly revere, yet he continued to be picked even when we were safe and Gray continued to be ignored which baffled me.

Gray needed games, Mahrez needed a kick up the arse and the status quo that prevailed has done us no favours whatsoever.

Would much prefer a strong-minded Mahrez, who's more consistent and less greedy than Gray. Gray can be great, but just needs to imo rive his final product and decision-making.

However, alternatively, prefer Gray at times where the opposition's defence is quite slow for him to thrive on.

Archived