Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Gray - considering future

I like Gray but right now, he is nowhere near good enough to be considered a replacement for Mahrez.

His performances from the bench have been indifferent and I cant remember seeing him start a game and visibly deserve it.

If his game develops and he realises the potential that everyone assumes he has, he'll be an excellent player and on that basis we should be looking to keep him but for me, his role in the squad shouldn't be changing that much in the immediate future.

3 minutes ago, FIF said:

I think the heads up play (decision making) is overstated generally. He has the confidence of youth which means he goes for goal more than she should but that will improve quickly given experience. For me he just needs some decent time on the pitch, where he knows that he doesn't have to do the spectacular every time he touches the ball in order to play the next few games. His control is genius and his pace excellent. Defensively is another question, he's better than Mahrez but like Mahrez he's a player whose genius can turn a game so you forgive defensive lapses and as a coach and teammate make sure there is cover for him.

I hope that he gets a decent sure run in the team to prove me right or wrong. 

He excites me more than any other city attacker.

I don't disagree with the run of game time and the optimism and I do think he'll be great.

I just reckon its hard to give him the opportunity in this climate with the competition he has in the squad as when given his chance he needs to take it - and he's just not done that yet sadly.

He looks prepared to track back a bit more than Riyad but he doesn't have Riyad's positional sense where he manages to cover the pass to the full back/winger without actually fully covering the ground. I think that was something claudio managed to coach into him. teams see the option but are concerned about the pass being cut out and have to double up on possession to get around him. Gray needs to learn these things - is he able to ? 

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Can't see us letting go of Gray. Crazy talent and with Mahrez out the door he'll prove it. I expect him to make the England squad for the next finals. I understand his want to get first team football, he's good enough and this is the year.

Are you back FIF?

42 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He looks prepared to track back a bit more than Riyad but he doesn't have Riyad's positional sense where he manages to cover the pass to the full back/winger without actually fully covering the ground. I think that was something claudio managed to coach into him. teams see the option but are concerned about the pass being cut out and have to double up on possession to get around him. Gray needs to learn these things - is he able to ? 

But he is a lot further on than Mahrez was at the same same age. It's a little unfair to compare Mahrez now (or in our  title season) with Gray. If you remember Mahrez when he first came to us, Gray is much further on.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Good. 

We'll have to see if Foxxed's posting reduces now. :ph34r:

I guess you're inferring I've another  pseudo. I haven't. but thanks for the welcome back. I've missed some of you guys.

Just now, FIF said:

I guess you're inferring I've another  pseudo. I haven't. but thanks for the welcome back. I've missed some of you guys.

Tbf I think you've got a better sense of humour than Foxxed. I suspect it might be someone else.

4 hours ago, FIF said:

But he is a lot further on than Mahrez was at the same same age. It's a little unfair to compare Mahrez now (or in our  title season) with Gray. If you remember Mahrez when he first came to us, Gray is much further on.

I agree that he's probably better than Mahrez was at his age, don't agree that Gray is as good as Mahrez was when he first came to us though, the main reason being end product, something Gray still hasn't shown for us.

7 hours ago, FIF said:

Defensively is another question, he's better than Mahrez but like Mahrez he's a player whose genius can turn a game so you forgive defensive lapses and as a coach and teammate make sure there is cover for him.

well, actually i think riyad is better defensively, especially last season. he is much better defensively, more aware and he built a great partnership with simmo

10 hours ago, FIF said:

Don't agree entirely with this. On a one on one basis, attacking a player and beating him with a trick, Mahrez is (and was) 'further on' compared to Gray. Or better at it in my language!

In out title winning season Gray was always bought on to see games out and keep things simple. He did this very well. Defensively he looked solid and it's a myth that he's not disciplined enough. I think it's an over eagerness to impress and try and force something in the little football he's had with us that's exposing a few things. I've every faith he's got the ability to become a great PL player. Let him loose. I'd have him and Iheanacho behind Vardy in a 3-4-3 next season.

25 minutes ago, Lcfcbisto said:

I may be wrong but I watched the game today and at no point did I see him, ????

Gray and Chilwell didn't travel to Hong Kong because Shakespeare was resting them after their U-21 Euro tournament with England.

On 21/07/2017 at 11:32, FIF said:

If you remember Mahrez when he first came to us, Gray is much further on.

When Mahrez came to us he looked brilliant from day one. 3 goals and 4 assists in 12 starts. He might have been a couple of years older than Gray, but I've seen nothing form him to suggest he can even reach the level Mahrez was in the championship yet.

Archived