Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

AfD third biggest party and looking like official opposition - then people asking how they're far right...

I know the terms Nazi and far-right are tossed around liberally, but surely a party whose leader suggested that Nazi soldiers should be a point of national pride are still warranting that. They're actually Nazi sympathisers this time, not just people we disagree with. 

5 hours ago, MattP said:

http://news.sky.com/story/labour-conference-delegates-block-meaningful-vote-on-brexit-11051966

For the second year on the bounce, quite astounding really they refuse to debate the biggest political decision of our time.

P.S The people shouting "scab" at Dennis Skinner lol The irony of all political irony.

I'm glad tbh. Thibk the party has ti hold the line it is. The members would force thigh policy to stay in the single market why v would not be good for there election chances. Need to accept the only way you're getting into government (either party) is to leave the single market then as quietly as possible pay for free trade and try to minimise the concessions around immigration as far as possible. Its exactly what the tories will do too.

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

AfD third biggest party and looking like official opposition - then people asking how they're far right...

I know the terms Nazi and far-right are tossed around liberally, but surely a party whose leader suggested that Nazi soldiers should be a point of national pride are still warranting that. They're actually Nazi sympathisers this time, not just people we disagree with. 

They are a vile party. My area of Germany had quite a few afd voters, mainly in the Russian part of the city and the area where it is run down. 

42 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I'm glad tbh. Thibk the party has ti hold the line it is. The members would force thigh policy to stay in the single market why v would not be good for there election chances. Need to accept the only way you're getting into government (either party) is to leave the single market then as quietly as possible pay for free trade and try to minimise the concessions around immigration as far as possible. Its exactly what the tories will do too.

Glad? How can anyone be glad the party they support refuses to even debate the biggest political decision probably of our lives, it's unbelievable.

Me and @Alf Bentley had a conversation about this last year and one thing we both agreed on was that it shows Labour at that minute wasn't a serious party, they are now a potential government, you can get away with ducking the big issues when you are 24% in the polls and no one expects you to win but not now.

So Merkel gets 33% of the vote and is still Queen of Europe whereas May gets 42%+ and is a dead woman walking, strange world. 

Chaotic result tbh and the coalition could now takes months to work out, AfD did better than expected and will take about 90 seats, I think Angela may be remembered for her refugee policy more than anything else.

30 minutes ago, MattP said:

Glad? How can anyone be glad the party they support refuses to even debate the biggest political decision probably of our lives, it's unbelievable.

Me and @Alf Bentley had a conversation about this last year and one thing we both agreed on was that it shows Labour at that minute wasn't a serious party, they are now a potential government, you can get away with ducking the big issues when you are 24% in the polls and no one expects you to win but not now.

Sorry but the tories are hardly covering themselves in glory over brexit. It lasted 1 day after Mays speech for boris fanboys to start attacking again. 

17 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Sorry but the tories are hardly covering themselves in glory over brexit. It lasted 1 day after Mays speech for boris fanboys to start attacking again. 

I have no idea what that has to do with the Labour conference deciding it doesn't want to debate Brexit.

Saddest thing about the conference I've read is that Laura Kuennsberg has had to hire bodyguards.

How have we got to that point in a country like this? 

Edited by MattP

So here the oldies got attacked for c\using Brexit, are the 35-44 years going to get similar treatment for their support of the Nazis.

According to analysis by broadcaster ARD, the AfD vote was highest among 35-44 year-olds, at 16%, and lowest among those above the age of 70, at 7%.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

So here the oldies got attacked for c\using Brexit, are the 35-44 years going to get similar treatment for their support of the Nazis.

Most of the voters for the Front National in France are young as well.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Most of the voters for the Front National in France are young as well.

The same forces at work as brexit. Yet its the older crowd here. 

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

That's a troubling stat but at 16% it's nowhere near the levels of saturation in the Brexit vote so it's hardly a fair comparison.  If 65% of 35-44 y/os voted for them then you'd have a point.

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

That's a troubling stat but at 16% it's nowhere near the levels of saturation in the Brexit vote so it's hardly a fair comparison.  If 65% of 35-44 y/os voted for them then you'd have a point.

Aye but Brexit is nowhere near as dangerous as AfD in fact it's not even in the same league.

I'm not overly sure there's any need for Labour to debate Brexit.

Unless you're an ostrich and have your head in the sand, you'd know that Corbyn is, always has been and always will be a eurosceptic and the only leader that will deliver a hard brexit no questions asked.

The party is now run as a dictatorship with Corbyn at the helm so what he says goes.

It astounds me that anybody out there thinks that Labour will somehow keep us closely aligned to the EU.  

They haven't shouted it from the rooftops but it doesn't need Sherlock Holmes to find this out.  They'd leave the single market, customs union etc, they'd ditch freedom of movement and they'd nationalise everything.

For Labour with Corbyn at the helm, a party conference is now a waste of time.  He should just send a leaflet to everyone saying, 'agree or fvck off'.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Aye but Brexit is nowhere near as dangerous as AfD in fact it's not even in the same league.

No but at 16% I'm not going to get too concerned, pretty sure BNP had similar at their peak but we're not goosestepping to Jerusalem today.

3 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I'm not overly sure there's any need for Labour to debate Brexit.

Unless you're an ostrich and have your head in the sand, you'd know that Corbyn is, always has been and always will be a eurosceptic and the only leader that will deliver a hard brexit no questions asked.

The party is now run as a dictatorship with Corbyn at the helm so what he says goes.

It astounds me that anybody out there thinks that Labour will somehow keep us closely aligned to the EU.  

They haven't shouted it from the rooftops but it doesn't need Sherlock Holmes to find this out.  They'd leave the single market, customs union etc, they'd ditch freedom of movement and they'd nationalise everything.

For Labour with Corbyn at the helm, a party conference is now a waste of time.  He should just send a leaflet to everyone saying, 'agree or fvck off'.

They're debating it today anyway. They just aren't debating staying in the single market - correctly in my view.

Not sure which parties you think aren't run by the leader. The tories usually are its just their leader is basically dancing to the tune of the various cabinet factions to keep her job as long as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

No but at 16% I'm not going to get too concerned, pretty sure BNP had similar at their peak but we're not goosestepping to Jerusalem today.

Well I seem to remember Brexit Leave voters and particularly the oldies being accused of pushing the country to the far right and being racists.

35 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The BNP never got anywhere near 16% of the national vote.

Len McCluskey's words leaving the stage lol

"Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer, we'll keep the Corbyn flag flying here."

This is a religious gathering, not a political conference.

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

Len McCluskey's words leaving the stage lol

"Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer, we'll keep the Corbyn flag flying here."

This is a religious gathering, not a political conference.

In fairness, political factions do become rather zealot-like in the way they follow particular ideologies - the same could be said of thatcherism as corbynism. Me and you are probably both good examples of this in the way we both argue on here....

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

The BNP never got anywhere near 16% of the national vote.

Indeed, it got a whopping 1.9% of the vote at its peak in 2010.

The British have never voted for the Far-Right in numbers like we've seen in Germany and France.

If European leaders aren't going to wake up and smell the coffee now.  Then they never will.  Sadly it will be our grandchildren that pay the price.

14 minutes ago, toddybad said:

In fairness, political factions do become rather zealot-like in the way they follow particular ideologies - the same could be said of thatcherism as corbynism. Me and you are probably both good examples of this in the way we both argue on here....

I've never seen a Tory singing a song dedicated to the leader or walking through the conference hall holding a picture of Thatcher above their heads.

McDonnell is on now, not only are Labour doing HS2 but it's extending all the way to Scotland and Cornwall now, imaginative I'll give him that. Most bizarre policy so far is probably that parliament would determine the share price of nationalised industries, playing again onto that fear that it's only fat cats buying them (research shows small investors actually do most), economics of the mad house. Not sure if they would even be allowed to do this under the current humans rights act, i.e the right to property includes shares in utilities etc

Cash in your pensions if this lot get elected as quick as you can.

Edited by MattP