Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

You change the definition so much for soft brexit, i'm not even sure which one you are referring to at any one time.

I've said before that if we either stay within the single currency or get the exact same benefits (ie tariff free trade) then that is a soft brexit in my view. The reason remainers voted remain is overwhelmingly because of the economy. If the biggest factor in our concerns is dealt with then happy days. As i said though, i ecpect to see further concessions later on with regard to the post-transition  period.

I should remind you that we've now backtracked on eu citizen rights, payments into the eu budget, using security cooperation as a negotiating tool, ecj jurisdiction during transition. Basically everything you voted against. 

There is no way you can argue that speech gives any comfort to leavers. 

11 minutes ago, toddybad said:

So anyway, not so interested in aussie politics. 

I thought TM went for the middle ground in her speech and it was probably as good an effort as we can expect. 

Conceded what needed to be conceded - actuslly open ended transition but possibly around 2 years, will pay into budget and accept ecj during that period. Basically, keep things as they are as has been obvious for a while. 

After transition currently still treading the path of having our cake and eating it but I'm sure they'll be more concessions to come.

Turns out TM might be a soft brexiteer after all!

Interesting. 

As a soft Brexiteer are you satisfied with this then?

I can get behind it as well for two years, maybe she can unite the country behind a Brexit that works for all.

Just now, MattP said:

Interesting. 

As a soft Brexiteer are you satisfied with this then?

I can get behind it as well for two years, maybe she can unite the country behind a Brexit that works for all.

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

I've said before that if we either stay within the single currency or get the exact same benefits (ie tariff free trade) then that is a soft brexit in my view. The reason remainers voted remain is overwhelmingly because of the economy. If the biggest factor in our concerns is dealt with then happy days. As i said though, i ecpect to see further concessions later on with regard to the post-transition  period.

I should remind you that we've now backtracked on eu citizen rights, payments into the eu budget, using security cooperation as a negotiating tool, ecj jurisdiction during transition. Basically everything you voted against. 

See above matt

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

I would not argue that the speech gave me much comfort, im still hopeful of the brexit (which would be a soft brexit under your fresh definition) i voted for but very sceptical now. 

Just now, toddybad said:

See above matt

Well we haven't backtracked on all that at all, for a start our government tried to get a mutual deal on citizens rights immediately but Merkel said nein, we always said we would also finish our budget contribution as well. As for the ECJ I can tolerate it for a small transition period.

2019 we officially leave the EU and enter transition for a full exit in 2021. I can tolerate that. The next few years after that could be very tough, election 2022 might he a very very good one to lose.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Well we haven't backtracked on all that at all, for a start our government tried to get a mutual deal on citizens rights immediately but Merkel said nein, we always said we would also finish our budget contribution as well. As for the ECJ I can tolerate it for a small transition period.

2019 we officially leave the EU and enter transition for a full exit in 2021. I can tolerate that. The next few years after that could be very tough, election 2022 might he a very very good one to lose.

If its going to be very tough why vote for it?

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Four years of uncertainty, division and transition. To be then followed by a few 'very tough' years.

Can't wait.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

If its going to be very tough why vote for it?

Short term to regain absolute political decision making, control over borders and to give our courts it's rightful supremacy over anything else.

Long term to open up trade with the World, which us rapidly growing while Europe declines. Not to meniton the other benefits i.e own military, own currency which we now know wasn't going to happen as Juncker let the cat out the bag last week.

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

Short term to regain absolute political decision making, control over borders and to give our courts it's rightful supremacy over anything else.

Long term to open up trade with the World, which us rapidly growing while Europe declines. Not to meniton the other benefits i.e own military, own currency which we now know wasn't going to happen as Juncker let the cat out the bag last week.

We already have trade with the World. And our own currency. Oh, and military.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We have already been through this, what would you value over the economy? 

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Short term practically nothing. 

Long term fairies and unicorns.

5 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

We already have trade with the World. And our own currency. Oh, and military.

Within the EU bloc which leaves us often with outrageous tariffs, not to mention potential ones falling apart because a state like Wallonia can veto. 

Yes we do have our own of those at the minute, but you heard the state of the union address, gone by 2025.

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Short term practically nothing. 

Long term fairies and unicorns.

If you regard that as nothing that's your opinion, many clearly don't share it.

I have to ask, why do you find one of the World's largest economies doing trade deals (something Iceland and Australia achieve along with many much smaller than us) as such fantasy you compare it with fairies and unicorns? Genuinely interested in the logic.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

There's a beat we can all dance to.

It's the will of the British people. :D

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Within the EU bloc which leaves us often with outrageous tariffs, not to mention potential ones falling apart because a state like Wallonia can veto. 

Yes we do have our own of those at the minute, but you heard the state of the union address, gone by 2025.

I have to ask, why do you find one of the World's largest economies doing trade deals (something Iceland and Australia achieve along with many much smaller than us) as such fantasy you compare it with fairies and unicorns? Genuinely interested in the logic.

Which tariffs are outrageous?

What will be gone by 2025?

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Because trade deals are not the same thing as trade.

We're going to make it more difficult to trade with France and Germany, but easier to trade with India and Iceland. Where's the logic in that?! How is that going to increase prosperity for the average Brit?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

That bit isn't. But bear in mind what i regard as soft brexit. If you get your way we won't be tariff free with the eu, our most important customer and retailer. 

25 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Because trade deals are not the same thing as trade.

We're going to make it more difficult to trade with France and Germany, but easier to trade with India and Iceland. Where's the logic in that?! How is that going to increase prosperity for the average Brit?

We have no intention of making it more difficult to trade, our aim is a full free trade deal, we haven't suggested any protectionism at all.

We just want to trade freely with as many people as possible and not be handcuffed to a political union to do so.