Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

37 minutes ago, MattP said:

You've just made that up haven't you?

No. You only have to do a quick Google search if you need somebody to explain why stock markets have risen through austerity due to qe.

It's really quite a simple concept. 

40 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Changing things up slightly, Peter Hitchens has said pretty clearly what he thinks of the current harassment furore.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2017/11/peter-hitchens-what-will-women-gain-from-all-this-squawking-about-sex-pests-a-niqab.html

Thoughts?

I think we all think the 'scandal' seems to be based on instances of nothing much happening.

I find this article thoroughly bizarre though. 

I did note that he said the armed forces were on their knees and the welfare system is on the verge of collapse and 

"The country is in the midst of its biggest constitutional crisis for a century, and wobbling on the precipice of bankruptcy."

Nigel Farage just said on the radio that the Labour pay rent to a jersey based company for their head quarters in London, I’m not sure exactly how this in anyway implicates them because my Sat Nav interrupted most of it and I can’t find anything on it but I thought I would share.

50 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It’s obvious but he’s spot on.

A country with such high potential but with pitiful productivity like the uk imposing austerity on itself is absurd, it’s like the best chef in town opening a restaurant with only two seats. “I can’t afford any more seats”, he says, “I’d have to take out a loan to buy them”, as the huge queue of potential diners is forced to eat elsewhere again.

It’s like a haulage firm with too many orders refusing to finance another lorry. It’s like a top barber who can’t afford scissors just trying to make do with clippers. It’s like a professional fisherman going to a match without any bait; like a parent not buying their potential star footballer son a pair of boots. It’s like Jamie Vardy giving up on football and going full time at the factory, because he needs to pay his bills.

It’s illogical, idiotic and deeply damaging. After seven years of failure you’d think we’d have had enough. It’s amazing to see people still banging its drum. Auesterity simply does not work. The evidence is here in abundance.

Edited by Rogstanley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

British companies expect a surge in dealmaking this year as executives defy Brexit uncertainty and look to cut costs.

The accountancy giant EY found that 60 per cent of businesses expected to pursue mergers and acquisitions in the next 12 months. This is the highest level since 2009, up nine percentage points from April and ahead of the global figure of 56 per cent.

Britain has retained its place as the third most favourable destination for companies to invest, behind China and the United States. The UK fell out of the top five for the first time in the report’s seven-year history last October, but was back up to third place by April.

Steve Ivermee, author of the report, said the figures demonstrated that investors were attracted by Britain’s open economy and its assets, despite the “maelstrom of change” since the Brexit vote. “We’d expect a very active M&A market, especially on the domestic front, as firms look to innovate but also defend against rising costs,” he said.

Part of Britain’s appeal has been the drop of more than 10 per cent in sterling since the referendum. More than 200 businesses have announced takeovers by overseas buyers following the Brexit vote, according to analysis conducted by Thomson Reuters in August.

However, British companies have responded by buying overseas, with outbound deals totalling £52.1 billion in the first six months of the year. British buyers have been targeting their American rivals in particular followed by companies in France, Germany and India.

Domestic merger and acquisition activity has more than doubled to £31 billion this year — the highest total for this period in eight years. The majority of UK executives polled by EY were focusing on deals under $250 million with 47 per cent of British companies saying they were concerned about geopolitical risks and economic uncertainty.

Some 63 per cent said they were reorganising their geographic operations in response to “potential changes in trade policies”, a significantly higher figure than the global average of 41 per cent.

“The fallout and uncertainties of Brexit have an obvious influence, although they come in a broader global context of uncertainty and risks from global policy missteps,” the report said.

A report from the Institute of Chartered Accountants has revealed that British companies have improved profit growth, capital investment and export sales, and are expecting continuing growth in 2018.

Business confidence has also improved, according to the institute’s quarterly confidence index, although it remains in negative territory, rising from -8 in the third quarter of this year to -3.4 in the final quarter.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/business/business-as-usual-for-dealmakers-as-brexit-fails-to-dent-global-appeal-wqb62kfzc

Just now, toddybad said:

It's fair to say it isn't ideal. Obviously it's of no benefit to the tenant but still, not great. I would have thought much of London these days is offshore given the foreign money in London? 

Possibly but it would be disingenuous to claim they wouldn’t have known (I’m not saying you are). Apparently the company is called Jersey Holdings or something equally as obvious lol

9 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

It’s obvious but he’s spot on.

A country with such high potential but with pitiful productivity like the uk imposing austerity on itself is absurd, it’s like the best chef in town opening a restaurant with only two seats. “I can’t afford any more seats”, he says, “I’d have to take out a loan to buy them”, as the huge queue of potential diners is forced to eat elsewhere again.

It’s like a haulage firm with too many orders refusing to finance another lorry. It’s like a top barber who can’t afford scissors just trying to make do with clippers. It’s like a professional fisherman going to a match without any bait; like a parent not buying their potential star footballer son a pair of boots. It’s like Jamie Vardy giving up on football and going full time at the factory, because he needs to pay his bills.

It’s illogical, idiotic and deeply damaging. After seven years of failure you’d think we’d have had enough. It’s amazing to see people still banging its drum. Auesterity simply does not work. The evidence is here in abundance.

It's not with the hassle mate, they won't listen. MattP even tried to caveat possible recession once by claiming we're due one lol. 

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I think that was me.

He has too I'm sure. 

There was no recession between 1990 (which was caused by bad government decisions) and 2008 (caused by a global financial meltdown) yet suddenly we're due another lmao

I'm still waiting for the boom let alone the bust.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

He has too I'm sure. 

There was no recession between 1990 (which was caused by bad government decisions) and 2008 (caused by a global financial meltdown) yet suddenly we're due another lmao

I'm still waiting for the boom let alone the bust.

lol you never disappoint. 

Just now, Webbo said:

lol you never disappoint. 

Ok, so why did the 1990 recession happen and why did the 2008 recession happen, in your own words?

Just now, toddybad said:

Ok, so why did the 1990 recession happen and why did the 2008 recession happen, in your own words?

Recession happens under the tories , tories fault. Recession under Labour ,world events. lol Is this another one of your trolling to get a reaction?

Just now, Webbo said:

Recession happens under the tories , tories fault. Recession under Labour ,world events. lol Is this another one of your trolling to get a reaction?

That didn't answer the question. Explain why those recessions happened.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Am I going to answer this and then you claim you were doing it for a laugh?

No. But if you fail to mention the ERM and then try to claim that a minor deficit in 2007 was the root cause I will rip the piss.