Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

31 minutes ago, MattP said:

Soon as you are whipping out the "my friends are..." you are in trouble.

In hindsight we should all be thankful to Gina Miller, not abuse her. I'm sure it wasn't her intention but her court case ensured that parliament has voted and enshrined into law that Britain leaves the European Union.

I dread to think what would be happening now if that hasn't been the case and May has used the royal perogative after that election result.

Never have understood why you try to be clever and drop in these little asides designed to whip up a reaction.  

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Not a single one. My family and friends are by and large evenly split on it. Nobody has given an inch.

Trouble is we've reached a point where some leavers are openly saying that they don't care about the economic consequences of leaving. They'll never give an inch. Remember that the remain arguments about economic disaster were called project fear. Now some leavers don't even bother denying the consequences, instead saying they don't care. If that had been what the leave campaign said they wouldn't have won. 

2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Trouble is we've reached a point where some leavers are openly saying that they don't care about the economic consequences of leaving. They'll never give an inch. Remember that the remain arguments about economic disaster were called project fear. Now some leavers don't even bother denying the consequences, instead saying they don't care. If that had been what the leave campaign said they wouldn't have won. 

lol

We are all too thick to understand mate, sorry but you guys tell us the world will fall in so many times, for so many different things. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

Just now, Strokes said:

lol

We are all too thick to understand mate, sorry but you guys tell us the world will fall in so many times, for so many different things. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

Apparently so if that's what you think i was saying. The leave campaign talked down the economic side effects. Earlier somebody on here (you?) said they didn't care what happened economically. If the leave campaign had said "sod the repercussions" you don't think that might have made a difference? It only takes a 1% swing and remain would have won (not intended to be a coulda, woulda, shoulda comment, just basic maths).The default defence of leavers seems to be this idea that you're all being called thick. Some of you undoubtedly are but that goes for all sides of any debate.

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

lol

Bit like the tories and corbyn i should add. 

16 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Apparently so if that's what you think i was saying. The leave campaign talked down the economic side effects. Earlier somebody on here (you?) said they didn't care what happened economically. If the leave campaign had said "sod the repercussions" you don't think that might have made a difference? It only takes a 1% swing and remain would have won (not intended to be a coulda, woulda, shoulda comment, just basic maths).The default defence of leavers seems to be this idea that you're all being called thick. Some of you undoubtedly are but that goes for all sides of any debate.

I'm not the leave campaign you twat lol what is wrong with you?

• Like 1

Guest MattP
28 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Never have understood why you try to be clever and drop in these little asides designed to whip up a reaction.  

I'm not trying to be clever at all.

We would be in a pickle now constitutionally had the royal perogative been used rather than a parliamentary vote.

We owe a great thanks to Gina Miller.

24 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Many leavers said Brexit could deliver a short term hit followed by long term growth after trade deals were set, project fear was World War 3, refugee camps in Kent, emergency budgets, house price crash, immediate job losses etc - all of which was bollocks.

Although its weird as what you describe is exactly how I feel about Corbyn supporters, no funding figure is too high, no problem is too much no amount of borrowing can solve, no taxation or public spending is too much, as long as their man wins they don't care despite his policies having never worked pretty much anywhere.

I do find it strange to have some people so fearful of the economic consequence of hard Brexit openly touting Corbyn and Labour as a party of government, at least most businesses, financial institutions and remain supporters are consistent that both will destroy the economy and don't cheer on one whilst saying the other is the end of the World. 

Maybe me and you are more alike than we think.

Guest MattP
39 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It only takes a 1% swing and remain would have won (not intended to be a coulda, woulda, shoulda comment, just basic maths).The default defence of leavers seems to be this idea that you're all being called thick. Some of you undoubtedly are.

The result was 52-48% (thereabouts) - so a 1% swing still leaves you a tad short unless the numerical system of the World has changed. 

(not intended to be a coulda, wouldda, shudda just basic maths)

But yeah - some of us leavers are undoubtedly are thick.

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You two need to get a room and work out this clear sexual tension.

You got to be joking, I'd end up with a bill for the bed's, room service, mini bar, parking charge, PPV and be left with a lottery ticket and a note telling me I've got to "speculate to accumulate".

1 minute ago, MattP said:

You got to be joking, I'd end up with a bill for the bed's, room service, mini bar, parking charge, PPV and be left with a lottery ticket and a note telling me I've got to "speculate to accumulate".

Where as you'd expect the benefits of the room, but not to pay for it yes?

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Where as you'd expect the benefits of the room, but not to pay for it yes?

If I was the hotels second biggest investor for 25 years, I'd certainly be expecting them to extend some goodwill my way.

When you are a diamond member at Hilton you don't get treated like the average guy walking in on the street.

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Vote Leave and be a Corbyn supporter. Then people know your willing to see the economy burn in return for memes and a more lively political climate. Feels good man.

Giles Fraser that.

Doesn't take much to say I don't mind being poorer providing we are more equal. I don't mind being poorer either if it means we are fully independent. 

It's an honest position at least.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

If I was the hotels second biggest investor for 25 years, I'd certainly be expecting them to extend some goodwill my way.

When you are a diamond member at Hilton you don't get treated like the average guy walking in on the street.

You suggesting one night in Paris?

10 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Vote Leave and be a Corbyn supporter. Then people know your willing to see the economy burn in return for memes and a more lively political climate. Feels good man.

Better that than anything that resembles remain, for me.

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You suggesting one night in Paris?

Gone way over my head that one mate!

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I'm not the leave campaign you twat lol what is wrong with you?

Long day......

43 minutes ago, MattP said:

lol

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Giles Fraser that.

Doesn't take much to say I don't mind being poorer providing we are more equal. I don't mind being poorer either if it means we are fully independent. 

It's an honest position at least.

It's a privileged position too.  People on a decent income can virtue signal about being poorer all they like, due to the nature of our economy they know they'll probably ride out a downturn without even taking a hit save for a few thousand dropping off their house value, but I doubt the same can be said of the thousands (more likely millions) in this country who live from paycheck to paycheck.

Actually scratch that, I'm sure the vast number of people who are already poor won't mind losing out either: When you're tossing a coin between rent and food, why would you care if someone takes the coin away?

A new analysis published by the Institute for Fiscal Studies last week found graduates in England left university with the highest student debts in the developed world, thanks to a combination of high fees, increased interest rates while studying and maintenance grants being replaced by loans. It calculated the average student would leave university with a debt of more than £50,000 – rising to an average of £57,000 for the poorest, who borrow more for their living costs. By contrast in the US, famed for its high fees, the average debt on graduation is $36,000 (£28,000).

At the same time, we have a situation where the young cannot get on the housing ladder.

homeowners % by age.jpg

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

A new analysis published by the Institute for Fiscal Studies last week found graduates in England left university with the highest student debts in the developed world, thanks to a combination of high fees, increased interest rates while studying and maintenance grants being replaced by loans. It calculated the average student would leave university with a debt of more than £50,000 – rising to an average of £57,000 for the poorest, who borrow more for their living costs. By contrast in the US, famed for its high fees, the average debt on graduation is $36,000 (£28,000).

At the same time, we have a situation where the young cannot get on the housing ladder.

homeowners % by age.jpg

**** me I'm gonna be in the top 20%!

Mom! Get the camera! :scarf:

JEREMY Corbyn has responded to Theresa May’s appeal for his help by reminding her that he is the leader of the Labour Party.

As the prime minister called on Corbyn and his MPs to help deliver her policies, Corbyn said: “Come again?”

He added: “Of course, Theresa, whatever you need. I got into politics to help implement the ideas of ruthless, right wing, authoritarian capitalists like yourself.

“Meanwhile, my lifelong support for policies that you find utterly repugnant was actually just performance art.

“In reality I’m a major shareholder in a South African diamond mine and a company that makes bullets.

“Also, I hate homos because Jesus told me to. You utter ****ing cretin.”

The prime minister said: “Fair enough. I am just so shit at this. For the love of god, someone stop me.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/you-do-know-that-im-the-leader-of-the-labour-party-corbyn-asks-may-20170710131463

Edited by Sharpe's Fox
  • Like 2