Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Massive difference between leaking/briefing and then putting up official alternative policy - as I say look at the shit a few amendments caused. 

But we're talking about whether anybody has a potential solution. Hard Brexiteers have been banging on about all sorts of things but none of them are a solution. They don't need to put up an alternative policy to discuss potential policies - but they've never come up with anything that would either be agreed by the EU or would actually work. Nobody has an answer. It's why all you get from people like Boris, when he publically calls out May's plan as bad, are more of the same soundbites about believing in Britain. They don't like the way Brexit is going but have absolutely no idea what they actually want in a world that needs a practical solution. It's just fantasies with no thought at all to the real world.

Edited by Guest

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

KVBUYYv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Don’t say you wouldn’t have the derty slaaaaaag.

My word. That is sexy.

HARD Brexit for me tonight.

None of the parties seem to have any clue how to deliver a successful Brexit.

I voted remain but we've got to get on with it somehow.

Whichever way it pans out - hard, soft, no deal - it's going to be a big vote loser for the Govt of the day.

Long term however Brexit might end up being a good thing...but a lot of trouble before that.

52 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

None of the parties seem to have any clue how to deliver a successful Brexit.

I voted remain but we've got to get on with it somehow.

Whichever way it pans out - hard, soft, no deal - it's going to be a big vote loser for the Govt of the day.

Long term however Brexit might end up being a good thing...but a lot of trouble before that.

I think the trouble is 44 years of integration across innumerable complex systems means I'm not convinced we actually CAN come out in any realistic way without 'project fear' becoming 'project underselling the devastation of reality'. I don't think there's anybody anywhere who understands all of the complexities and issues it raises. I get that for many leavers just walking away sounds simple and easy but I don't think any of the leave politicians realised they were opening Pandora's Box and they've allowed millions to believe in something that isn't achievable without ripping the heart out of our economy. It's hope over reality I'm afraid.

Edited by Guest

Guest MattP
42 minutes ago, toddybad said:

What makes you think that?

Most of my income is paid in AUD from Oz.

No deal Brexit and a Labour government would be great for me personally.

It always baffles me how anyone is daft enough to fall for the "xxxxx will be a disaster for everyone". It's never like that

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP

Proper hard left Labour outside the Co-Op on Aikman Avenue today.

Pleasant people but some craziness, the woman on the stall gave me Venezuela as an example of where their policies have been successful. It's usually us who throw that line in.

Brutally honest though on everything, they'd go for No deal Brexit, wealth tax, massive corp tax hike, as much borrowing as necessary, refreshing in a way.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Buce said:

Thing is, Matt, none of us is an island - you won't remain unaffected if society falls apart, regardless of your personal finances.

And although I too am unlikely to be affected economically, whatever happens, I still care about what kind of a country my daughter is going to grow up in.

Of course, whatever happens though society isn't going to fall apart, I'm pretty sure of that.

I care about the last as much as you, we just have different viewpoints on it.

Edited by MattP

21 hours ago, Lionator said:

You were told this but it just got dismissed as 'project fear' as opposed to 'project this is what will happen if we leave the European Union'. We have been part of this organisation for 45 years, we are deeply entrenched in it and there's no workable solution, Boris keeps chuntering on about saving Brexit but he doesn't offer a solution because there isn't one! 

We have NOT been part of the E.U.  for 45 years, do your homework. We joined the Common Market, which was completely different. It was purely based on trade, within some European Countries, and that was all.

4 hours ago, Buce said:

Thing is, Matt, none of us is an island - you won't remain unaffected if society falls apart, regardless of your personal finances.

And although I too am unlikely to be affected economically, whatever happens, I still care about what kind of a country my daughter is going to grow up in.

Wow, and I didn't have to be the one to say it this time. 

45 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Pure banal supposition, like most of your posts are based on.

It's a football forum. I don't need to be as accurate as a politician. My point is clearly that it's easy for you to support a hard Brexit when you don't have a job to worry about.

But you don't want to answer that do you? Much easier to worry about the precise wording of a sentence and argue over whether pensioners add up to 10% or 51% of Brexiteers.

I'd rather post supposition than some of the stuff you post. Poor child.

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, bovril said:

Well, it worked in the US so why not? And I don't believe for a second that the ethno-nationalists will be kept out of this one.

If he succeeds in what he wants to do wrt installing far more nationalist groups across Europe, then IMO it is an extreme probability at least some or all of Europe sees war again within a couple of decades afterwards.

That's the endgame for Bannon and those like him, after all and he knows it takes that to get it: a victorious white Europe and the US, cleansed of the unclean "hordes".

Edited by leicsmac

Guest MattP
43 minutes ago, bovril said:

Just leave Merkel in charge of Germany with a European Commission enforcing migration and monetary policy on the poorer nations and it will happen naturally, no need for Bannon at all.

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

Just leave Merkel in charge of Germany with a European Commission enforcing migration and monetary policy on the poorer nations and it will happen naturally, no need for Bannon at all.

Maybe so, but he'll certainly do his best to accelerate the process.

Honestly though, I can't get my head round the mentality of anyone who would want that kind of endgame. It means at the best quite serious social upheaval and at the worst a death count in the hundreds of thousands to millions (the likely outcome is probably somewhere between the two).