Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Japan has to deal with the EU on the EUs terms. It's a hugely powerful bloc. The EU doesn't have to accept lesser regulations because it's other countries desperate to trade with them. And they only have one set of standards that are best for all 27 nations because those standards and their joint power gets them all better deals than they would alobe.

Says of the master of clutching desperate for any excuse why leaving isn't a terrible idea.

Cheer up toddy, the football season starts again soon.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Don’t worry about toddy Webb’s, he has cabin fever or Stockholm fever or something.

But I do worry, I'm a caring,sharing kinda guy.

9 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Two former Prime Ministers, from opposing parties, joining together to talk specifically about it, doesn't count? I seem to recall it was mentioned fairly frequently during the campaign too.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/09/tony-blair-and-john-major-brexit-would-close-irish-border

Fair play!  I must have missed that.

• Like 3

I am still entirely convinced that WTO terms for a few years would shock the EU back to the table for a free trade agreement.  And we don't have to pay the £40Bn or whatever daft number they came up with.  Winner!

Meanwhile if there were to really be 2million jobs lost, then at least our several million EU migrants can head to the EU for work!  Then what?  Less traffic? Smaller class sizes?  Disaster!  Its amazing how many people think growth is ALWAYS good. It isn't. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

jeremy-corbyn-tuc-conference-september-2

I don't feel you're taking this seriously Carl. When I put in my profile " like your dad,only better" I meant it. I'm all of yours online father. I care but I will spank your bottom is you don't eat your greens.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Was there any need to bring the Antisemitic twat into this?  If this guys wins an election then you will really have economic problems to worry about and I will be emigrating.

jeremy-corbyn-3.jpg?width=1000&height=61

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I don't feel you're taking this seriously Carl. When I put in my profile " like your dad,only better" I meant it. I'm all of yours online father. I care but I will spank your bottom is you don't eat your greens.

Jeremy-Corbyn.jpg

Guest Foxin_mad
8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

jeremy-corbyn-middle-finger-1496126067.j

All those pictures of this twatting cvnt have made me punch 3 monitors, maybe the fvcktard will be good for the digital economy after all!lol

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am still entirely convinced that WTO terms for a few years would shock the EU back to the table for a free trade agreement.  And we don't have to pay the £40Bn or whatever daft number they came up with.  Winner!

Meanwhile if there were to really be 2million jobs lost, then at least our several million EU migrants can head to the EU for work!  Then what?  Less traffic? Smaller class sizes?  Disaster!  Its amazing how many people think growth is ALWAYS good. It isn't. 

Care to explain your underlying expertise that helped form this overarching view? 

And how mass job loses would only fall of EU migrants?   

County councillor in Rutland arrested for racist posts on Facebook which include calling Diane Abbott a monkey. He has also called for Teresa May to be hanged for treason.

First reported in the Mercury on Wednesday and much longer article in the Mail today.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/oakham-rutland-councillor-richard-alderman-1796353

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5972789/County-councillor-72-arrested-racist-Facebook-posts-call-Diane-Abbott-monkey.html

Richard Alderman, 72, whose talents do not include literacy, refers to 'constituents' in one of his posts instead of the correct 'constituency'. 

Unsurprisingly, his posts also reveal he is a fan of Donald Trump.

He was only elected last week!

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

How many times does this need saying? WTO requires an Irish border. That's not there at the moment and UK Law now prevents anyone from putting it there. So UK law precludes us complying with WTO rules, ergo the WTO will not allow us to trade under present UK law.

If you change the law to make it possible, you infringe the Good Friday Agreement, which the government has now also made an illegal action. In other words, the government has made it illegal to do anything to break the stalemate with the EU.

Ergo the only two legally admissible options are (a) crash Brexit or (b) cancel Brexit.

Edited by l444ry

Guest MattP

Good piece on the Irish situation on Newsnight yesterday @Alf Bentley - would recommend watching it.

The whole thing already appears to have kicked off in the Republican areas and this week it just started in the Loyalists areas, bonfires, bus hijackings, shootings - I'm surprised it hasn't been covered on the news a bit more and it sounds likle it's all really escalated, it can't help with them not even having a government, more worryingly was that the elderly people were saying they didn't want to go back to the troubles and the ones causing the bother were so young that they didn't remember them.

Extremists on both sides seem to be pushing it, the loyalists saying they are looking to Boris, Kate Hoey and Rees-Mogg to do what's right and the Republicans accusing Sinn Fein of selling them out and hoping that Brexit will lead to the collapse of the GFA.

40 minutes ago, l444ry said:

How many times does this need saying? WTO requires an Irish border. That's not there at the moment and UK Law now prevents anyone from putting it there. So UK law precludes us complying with WTO rules, ergo the WTO will not allow us to trade under present UK law.

If you change the law to make it possible, you infringe the Good Friday Agreement, which the government has now also made an illegal action. In other words, the government has made it illegal to do anything to break the stalemate with the EU.

Ergo the only two legally admissible options are (a) crash Brexit or (b) cancel Brexit.

TM has deliberately closed off all solutions, which leads me to think she is trying to thwart brexit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good piece on the Irish situation on Newsnight yesterday @Alf Bentley - would recommend watching it.

The whole thing already appears to have kicked off in the Republican areas and this week it just started in the Loyalists areas, bonfires, bus hijackings, shootings - I'm surprised it hasn't been covered on the news a bit more and it sounds likle it's all really escalated, it can't help with them not even having a government, more worryingly was that the elderly people were saying they didn't want to go back to the troubles and the ones causing the bother were so young that they didn't remember them.

Extremists on both sides seem to be pushing it, the loyalists saying they are looking to Boris, Kate Hoey and Rees-Mogg to do what's right and the Republicans accusing Sinn Fein of selling them out and hoping that Brexit will lead to the collapse of the GFA.

Yes, I saw it - though I may have dozed off at one point (age, not booze! :D).

It's important that young people there see a future for themselves - a career/decent job, family prospects, half-decent lifestyle. That makes the economy important, regardless of Brexit - but highlights the indirect risks of any economic downturn.

In the 90s, I lived in San Sebastián (Spanish Basque Country) for 3 months and saw the same phenomenon - unemployed youths with few prospects being dragged into Basque nationalist extremism.

I've seen TV features with young people from both communities saying that they wanted no return to violence, more tolerance and integration etc. But they were well-educated kids with some prospects. Likewise, when I visited Belfast earlier this year and Derry a couple of years ago, there was not a whiff of tension (though I didn't go onto rough estates for obvious reasons). The problem is, if they have no other role or prospects, kids from such estates can be ready prey for older, cynical extremists - be they dissident Republicans or Loyalist extremists. Like UK crime/drug gangs, joining a Republican/Loyalist gang can give them a role and a status in the community unavailable through work/career, money, the ability to buy a home and start a family etc.

I still think that it's only a minority on the Republican side who view Sinn Fein as traitors and support dissident extremists. The majority seem to accept the GFA, particularly as they know that the demographics (higher Catholic birth rate) mean that there's likely to be majority support for Irish unification in NI within a couple of decades. Ironically, Brexit could encourage Republicans to push for a unification referendum earlier than they would have done otherwise. Not only because they oppose Brexit, but also because a small minority of moderate, anti-Brexit Unionists now say that they'd prefer Irish unity to the perceived disruption of Brexit.....and an early referendum would surely bring a Loyalist backlash and sectarian violence. 

It's a disgrace - and utterly irresponsible - that they've not got Stormont up and running again, as it's clearly exacerbating sectarian tensions. I've not followed every detail of that and am sure that Sinn Fein have engaged in cynical conduct, too, but the DUP has acted disgracefully over that. Even if they think spending cash on promoting the Irish language alongside English is a waste of money, they should go along with it. The money involved wouldn't break the bank or threaten English as the dominant language - and might help some of the large Irish Catholic minority to feel that they have a stake in NI. Pure sectarian mischief by the DUP to create issues over that. Likewise, demands for the DUP to be held properly accountable for the massive scam over wood-burning stoves are not unreasonable - a massive amount of taxpayer's money was fraudulently misused, whoever was responsible.

Whether a new system of governance for NI is needed to replace the GFA power-sharing arrangement, I don't know. The problem with more traditional, "winner-takes-all" elections is that the losing side is bound to accuse the govt elected of sectarian bias, be that DUP or Sinn Fein, which might argue for a need to keep power-sharing at least until there is more cross-community integration.

Sorry to gab on. I spent too much time on here yesterday and don't intend to repeat that today. :D

Edited by Alf Bentley

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

Laws can be changed pretty quickly when necessary.  Trust me if we needed WTO rules, then a solution would be found.