Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

8 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

Not to mention that it wouldn't just be a referendum in Ireland.  It would be impossible to argue with a straight face that Northern Ireland should have a referendum and Scotland (which also voted to remain) should not.  So we'd see another movement North of the border and the break-up of the United Kingdom.

Yeah but who cares about the jocks?

So...to clarify on the last couple of pages.

Is there a Brexit solution, any solution, that wouldn't result in at least the possibility of sectarian violence in Ireland, and would this solution be acceptable to at least most of the Brexiteers in England and elsewhere?

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Isn't it interesting how nobody mentioned the Irish border "problem" before the Referendum, yet now it is the handy whataboutery stick Remainders use to wave at everyone.

There were warnings but, like everything else Brexiteers didn't like, they were shouted down as part of Project Fear. Pretty much how many of them still think today. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Incidentally, re. that Irish Times article that @Webbo quoted, maybe I'm misinterpreting it but to me, when they refer to the EU "relying on the commitments made by others", I presume they mean the commitments that the UK made to implement the customs union backstop if no alternative solution was agreed for the Irish border.....

If we leave with no deal there is no backstop.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

So...to clarify on the last couple of pages.

Is there a Brexit solution, any solution, that wouldn't result in at least the possibility of sectarian violence in Ireland, and would this solution be acceptable to at least most of the Brexiteers in England and elsewhere?

If there is violence that will be the fault of the people that carry it out. There is no justifiable reason why there should be.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Look at the reality of what that means instead of simply blaming someone else or trying to deflect the question with other questions, maybe?

The moral high ground ain't going to be much use if even some of the things being warned about come to pass.

I want a deal but not at any price.If the EU want to punish us then they'll suffer too. I'm not afraid of no deal.

5 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Might not happen, but I honestly believe that No Deal causes a short-term risk of massive economic/social meltdown - everything from logjams at ports, factory closures/layoffs, food shortages, even violence in the streets. It then causes a risk of economic and social damage that could last for decades, unless we achieve unprecedented success in rebuilding this new "Global UK". At a time when we already face so many problems, ranging from an aging population via public debt to an angry, alienated subsection of society open to extremism like the Tommy Robinson crew, that is seriously scary. Maybe I'm wrong and, after 6 months, it'll all go as swimmingly as you suggest. If so, I'll be here to admit it. If No Deal happens and causes untold long-term damage to this country, I presume you'll also be here to explain why it was worthwhile? If hundreds of thousands of people lose their livelihoods, can't pay the mortgage or end up going to food banks to feed their kids, maybe you'd also pop along to explain to them why the economic impact doesn't matter as it's all about "taking back control"?

Blimey Alf, have you been recruited by Project Fear?

By the way, we already have logjams at the ports and airports. We already have factories and businesses closing and there's a fair bit of violence already in the streets. There's a reasonable chunk of social inequality and food shortages as well. 

If you look at Brexit from the standpoint that everything about being in the EU is tickety-boo and a veritable bed of roses, then of course the doom and gloom view of leaving may well look like the picture you are describing.

If you think that disengaging from a massive self-serving, corrupt slug of an organisation to be able to pursue our own aims is a good thing - well, then the future looks a bit more positive.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I want a deal but not at any price.If the EU want to punish us then they'll suffer too. I'm not afraid of no deal.

Oh sound. Well I'm sure we'll all enjoy being martyrs for this bollocks as much as you. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Just now, Voll Blau said:

Oh sound. Well I'm sure we'll all enjoy being martyrs for this bollocks as much as you. :rolleyes:

Too many negative vibes, lighten up brother.

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If there is violence that will be the fault of the people that carry it out. There is no justifiable reason why there should be.

I'm sorry, Leavers put the wheels in motion, they can't wash their hands of all of the consequences that follow, even unintended ones - as much as I agree political violence is most often abhorrent and most definitely unjustifiable in this case.

• Like 1

Just now, leicsmac said:

I'm sorry, Leavers put the wheels in motion, they can't wash their hands of all of the consequences that follow, even unintended ones - as much as I agree political violence is most often abhorrent and most definitely unjustifiable in this case.

And what reason is there to start bombing people?

Just now, Webbo said:

No excuse Webbo  but the Good Friday Agreement was the main reason for violence almost disappearing.

Just now, Carl the Llama said:

So basically India don't want to abide by EU data security and transparency laws but will be happy to trade with a less stringent UK market... what could possibly go wrong?

innit.

EU making deals with Japan and New Zealand but it's coo' 'cause we're gonna chill with India who can enjoy our new slack standards. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

So basically India don't want to abide by EU data security and transparency laws but will be happy to trade with a less stringent UK market... what could possibly go wrong?

Tell me?

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Sorry but there is no justification for a relaunch of political murder even in the instance of the EU demanding Ireland puts up a border. 

The way people talk it's like the Irish are a bunch of savages who can't wait to start killing each other again, they aren't. 

17 minutes ago, Webbo said:

:appl:Nor am I. The EU can go and do one. No deal will be fine with me, and will hurt the bullying bastards, as much as us. :thumbup: :yesyes:

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

There isn't one. The whole thing is sectarian BS which anyone with at least 1/2 (that is to say 0.5) of a brain would not engage in.

However, there are parts of the population that do not have that much of a brain and the point is that if it does start, then the entities that allowed the climate where it might happen in the first place share at least some culpability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Tell me?

you genuinely don't see a problem with severely lessening our trading abilities with all of the regulated countries on our doorstep in favour of trading with ****ing India - significantly further away, less developed and not interested in upholding standards?

wow

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sorry but there is no justification for a relaunch of political murder even in the instance of the EU demanding Ireland puts up a border. 

The way people talk it's like the Irish are a bunch of savages who can't wait to start killing each other again, they aren't. 

See above, and I agree about there being zero justification.

Perhaps I'm overly cynical but history is littered with examples of people being savages who can't wait to start killing each other (as there is now). And sectarianism is often a very nice lever to pull for it.

Just now, lifted*fox said:

you genuinely don't see a problem with severely lessening our trading abilities with all of the regulated countries on our doorstep in favour of trading with ****ing India - significantly further away, less developed and not interested in upholding standards?

wow

…….this is how the Brexiteer argument has developed. India won't do a deal without an immigration agreement. Talk about shifting sands.

• Like 1