Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

A quick search on Google has told me that mining bees do not return to old nests (unlike masonry bees, which do; but I'm almost certain that isn't what you have/had.).

Try putting some soil/compost in the areas where there are nests to fill the holes and seed your lawn. Would this be right in thinking that the areas where the nests are quite bare of grass, cos that's what they're looking for.

The general advice is that if you make your garden unattractive to them (moist and dense), then they won't nest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

A quick search on Google has told me that mining bees do not return to old nests (unlike masonry bees, which do; but I'm almost certain that isn't what you have/had.).

Try putting some soil/compost in the areas where there are nests to fill the holes and seed your lawn. Would this be right in thinking that the areas where the nests are quite bare of grass, cos that's what they're looking for.

The general advice is that if you make your garden unattractive to them (moist and dense), then they won't nest.

Thanks mate - I’ll maybe try and re-seed this autumn. 
We had a smaller issue in the same place last year, and I think I read that they return to nesting sites, but I may well have misunderstood that, then. 

There is a large nesting site on another part of the lawn, but this is what they’ve done within the last week…

Maybe new grass will do the trick 

018F5637-70AC-4C42-95B6-7D5B4D04D6C4.thumb.jpeg.f2d258227dc9db2730635a08c6b451b6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Milo said:

We had a smaller issue in the same place last year, and I think I read that they return to nesting sites, but I may well have misunderstood that, then. 

There is a large nesting site on another part of the lawn, but this is what they’ve done within the last week…

018F5637-70AC-4C42-95B6-7D5B4D04D6C4.thumb.jpeg.f2d258227dc9db2730635a08c6b451b6.jpeg

Wow, I can see why you're concerned.

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Looks like a mole crèche ..  

3 hours ago, Milo said:

I’m not sure I can give a definitive answer to this but I did hear of a similar thing which was treated at the end of the breeding cycle. If I recall, they started by mowing and brushing the lawn, then use some topsoil to sort of fill the holes, let it settle and tamp it down then repeat. Reseed and cross fingers. They may have used a weighted roller too. 
I can appreciate that you don’t want to destroy the bees but to deter for next season but a pest controller would probably use a poison of sorts. Bee keepers won’t have a clue as they only work with Honey Bees. You might be better off finding an environmentalist/bee forum that will advise. You could try Dave Goulson on social media (he’s my go to for anything bee related). 👍 for allowing them to survive so far. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Get some lawn sand down. Kind of the bees to aerate your lawn for you! 

Lawn sand is probably quite desirable to bees, easy to tunnel into. I would imagine something compressed would be better. I agree with the eco aeration method though :thumbup:

• Like 2

So I heard a big bang on my window yesterday evening. Looked outside and a sparrowhawk had taken down a pigeon. Without going into all the gory details, you can guess what happened next.

The thing is it hasn't used/taken all the prey so there's a pigeon carcus outside on my patio. I can see flies and things buzzing around it and hate to think if there are any creepy crawlies inside.

I really don't know what to do! I want to ideally remove it to avoid attracting other pests. (I'm hoping some cat or fox comes and takes the rest).

But at the same time! I'm terrified to handle it particularly with all the insects around. Should I just leave it to decompose?

Has anyone had this before? 

7 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

So I heard a big bang on my window yesterday evening. Looked outside and a sparrowhawk had taken down a pigeon. Without going into all the gory details, you can guess what happened next.

The thing is it hasn't used/taken all the prey so there's a pigeon carcus outside on my patio. I can see flies and things buzzing around it and hate to think if there are any creepy crawlies inside.

I really don't know what to do! I want to ideally remove it to avoid attracting other pests. (I'm hoping some cat or fox comes and takes the rest).

But at the same time! I'm terrified to handle it particularly with all the insects around. Should I just leave it to decompose?

I'd use a carrier bag or similar, pick it up, and put it in the bin.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Yeah but usually just the breast, I discard the rest. Give it a quick run under the tap before cooking, should be fine.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

Get the sh*t shovel out and whack it in the black bin.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, HybridFox said:

You won't come to any harm handling a carcass with insects on it. Just be sensible, wear gloves and wash hands afterwards. I would bag the carcass, take it to your nearest wasteground and discard into the bushes - let the wildlife sort it - they will be very grateful.

18 minutes ago, rico said:

Anyone know what type of spider this is ?

its about the size of a 10p...

IMG_5585.jpeg

Did you take that photo on your phone?

If so, is it android?

If so, open the photo in Google photos and select google lens. Voila, lots of similar images to compare.

Give a man an answer in an online forum and he will pester you forever; Teach him how to use Google and he'll leave you alone.

8 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Did you take that photo on your phone?

If so, is it android?

If so, open the photo in Google photos and select google lens. Voila, lots of similar images to compare.

Give a man an answer in an online forum and he will pester you forever; Teach him how to use Google and he'll leave you alone.

Yes, but it comes up with black widow, which it does look similar to but doesn't have any body markings :sweating:

We have found 4 in our warehouse at work and just not sure if could be venomous or not...?

5 hours ago, rico said:

Yes, but it comes up with black widow, which it does look similar to but doesn't have any body markings :sweating:

We have found 4 in our warehouse at work and just not sure if could be venomous or not...?

Doesn't a black widow have a red hourglass shaped marking on its back?

Edit: could be a false widow, native spider that looks it, but no hourglass.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

On 21/09/2023 at 14:20, HybridFox said:

Sorry for the late reply but I guess by now you have already done what I was going to recommend it and BBQ’d it.