Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

14 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Got quite a few newts in my small pond. Know nothing about them. Any idea what type they are? Photo rubbish but hopefully get the idea.

20230516_220503.jpg

Common newts, we got our first ones this year too. Our pond is now 3 years old, we are well chuffed.

• Like 1

Water Butts.

I have inherited 4  x 190L Water Butts.

I only want one of these so have 3 spares. If  anyone wants any of them they're free to whoever can collect them from Hinckley.

butts.jpg

6 minutes ago, kenny said:

Common newts, we got our first ones this year too. Our pond is now 3 years old, we are well chuffed.

We got them last year too, pond only put down last February. Only noticed them late though and they'd gone within a few days of me noticing them.

Trying to work out how many are in there. I've seen 4 I think but they look similar and hide fast so there could be more.

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

We got them last year too, pond only put down last February. Only noticed them late though and they'd gone within a few days of me noticing them.

Trying to work out how many are in there. I've seen 4 I think but they look similar and hide fast so there could be more.

I'm sure they only spend 3 months of the year in water (mating season), have a look out for youngsters they tend to come closer to the surface when the suns out, not sure how long they stay in water for

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rain King said:

Got quite a few newts in my small pond. Know nothing about them. Any idea what type they are? Photo rubbish but hopefully get the idea.

20230516_220503.jpg

Smooth Newt - gently pick one up and look at the underside, should be orange with black spots which extend from the neck down. Palmate Newts look very similar but more yellowy underneath and spots don't extend onto the neck.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2023 at 17:41, Free Falling Foxes said:

Update:

Ten eggs were laid and eight hatched, beginning last Wednesday. One chick sadly died but the remaining seven are doing fine.

Here's a pic and short vid from a little earlier when the parents were dropping off some supper.

IMG-20230510-WA0004.jpg

Latest.

Our neighbours young Bluetits are out and about, ours are stiil cozy in their box today.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rain King said:

Saw 2 hedgehogs scurrying through the garden at midnight last night when I let the dog out for a wee.

Disappeared under the fence to next door.

I can see why you take it out at night if it likes to piss next door ..  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Just had a huge swarm of bees appear over next doors garden, never heard or seen anything like it. Incredible.

We had similar a few days ago. Apparently swarming is when bees need to find a new place to set up home, as it were, as they only live in a hive for so long:

Swarms can occur most anytime throughout the year but most often occur in late spring or early summer. They occur when a new queen is made in a colony. The new queen's mother leaves the original colony and takes with her a large group of worker bees to find a new home.

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Impressive...

shed :worship:

It's not a fckn SHED. Ok???

(Very cheap and easy way to trigger me btw)! 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Not really my forte plants etc., but am going to Kew Gardens next weekend.

Has anyone been there before?

We were members for a couple of years. 

It can be an interesting day - the tropical house is impressive. A lot of the trees and plants have QR codes, so you can get a bit more info about ones that take your fancy. 

As with similar sites, the food and drink is expensive, so packing a champagne picnic isn’t the worst idea. 

Probably not the most thrilling, adrenaline filled day out you’ll have, but it’s usually very pleasant with nice things to look at! 

• Thanks 1