Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Energy - Invoice or DD

I think of changing my Energy supplier I've always had pay on receipt of bill generally avoiding Direct Debit as I've had problems in the past getting these cancelled.

Has cancelling a DD improved or is it still a pain in the arse?

What do people use and would you recommend DD?

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

You can cancel a direct debit online with both banks I use, in minutes.

Do you use online banking?

Yes, I always thought it was down to the company your dealing with to cancel DDs and Standing Orders were under your own control, has that changed?

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

Yes, I always thought it was down to the company your dealing with to cancel DDs and Standing Orders were under your own control, has that changed?

You can cancel the DD at anytime, after the first payment has been taken, through online banking.

It recommends you let the company know, but the bank won't pay anything once you've cancelled it with them.

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

I don't know if it has changed, but you can definitely cancel a direct debit from Barclays current account online and nationwide.

Ive seen the options on there to do it.

39 minutes ago, davieG said:

I think of changing my Energy supplier I've always had pay on receipt of bill generally avoiding Direct Debit as I've had problems in the past getting these cancelled.

Has cancelling a DD improved or is it still a pain in the arse?

What do people use and would you recommend DD?

Prefer Matty James to be honest.

Guest BlueBrett

Energy companies are the worst. When I took on my place they were basing my bills on 'estimates' for the first few months. Took me ages to get them to actually record and track the meter readings and when they eventually agreed to have another look at my expected usage my bills came down by more than 200%! No wonder they were reluctant lol 

Pay by DD as I'd probably never even open the bill letters never mind get round to actually paying them.

The only thing i would really advise about paying by direct debit is linked to what @BlueBrett said. Make sure you do still check your bill because if you dont, you could end up with a huge charge based on a mistake they have made and its possible that could go unnoticed for several months....

Slightly off topic...

quite a few years ago now my uncle bought a house - an elderly lady lived in it on her own, passed away and family sold it.

Well when he finally moved in, the electricity was already switched on, which he thought was very odd. Couple of weeks after moving in he eventually found out who supplied the previous owner, wrote to them and advised him of the situation. He got a written reply a couple of weeks after that in which they categorically denied they were still supplying the house with electricity. He left it for a couple of months  waiting for the new supplier to contact him but they never did.. he then then became worried that he would end up with a big whopping bill so he wrote to every single electricity supplier he could think of to ask them if they were supplying the house... Over the course of several weeks they all replied denying they were the ones supplying him with electricty. Now i would of just shut up about now... but still concerned about an impending huge bill, he contacted the ombudsmen.. Offwhat is it? and they told him " don't worry sir, we will  get to the bottom of this and we will find out who your supplier is".  Couple of months after that they wrote to him and explained that they were unable to solve his query and here was a cheque for 50 quid as a way of apology!

In the 4 years  he was in that house he never paid a penny in electric costs...

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

Slightly off topic...

quite a few years ago now my uncle bought a house - an elderly lady lived in it on her own, passed away and family sold it.

Well when he finally moved in, the electricity was already switched on, which he thought was very odd. Couple of weeks after moving in he eventually found out who supplied the previous owner, wrote to them and advised him of the situation. He got a written reply a couple of weeks after that in which they categorically denied they were still supplying the house with electricity. He left it for a couple of months  waiting for the new supplier to contact him but they never did.. he then then became worried that he would end up with a big whopping bill so he wrote to every single electricity supplier he could think of to ask them if they were supplying the house... Over the course of several weeks they all replied denying they were the ones supplying him with electricty. Now i would of just shut up about now... but still concerned about an impending huge bill, he contacted the ombudsmen.. Offwhat is it? and they told him " don't worry sir, we will  get to the bottom of this and we will find out who your supplier is".  Couple of months after that they wrote to him and explained that they were unable to solve his query and here was a cheque for 50 quid as a way of apology!

Offtopic but an interesting post nonetheless. Wonder where the hell it was coming from. Think ol' granny just rigged the meter? 

The reason some people don't like DD is that while the mandate is in force the institution it's with can take what they like, i.e. up your regular payments without seeking your permission first. They should notify you if what they're doing, so if you read your post (not everyone does) there shouldn't be any nasty surprises. As others have said, you can cancel the DDM yourself so that's always a fallback if they make a hash of things.

It works best if you're on top of meter readings (or you have a smart meter they can access) as they're less likely to have to muck about with your payments once they've established what your energy use is through the year.

It's not unusual for them to drop your payments when your energy use drops in the summer, which can be a pain in the arse as they'll more than likely whack it up at the end of the winter when they realise you've started using more. The way round this is just to tell them to keep your payments at the same level whenever they tell you they're going to decrease them. You'll build up a bit of a credit balance in the warm weather but that'll get swallowed up when it turns cold again

If you organise DD through the energy company and go with duel fuel, you are entitled to a discount.  Not a lot, but it all helps.

I prefer DD simply because I know exactly what I am paying every month and can easily check energy use online and compare with previous quarters/years etc. 

The cost of energy varies a fair bit so it's pretty pointless saying go with British Gas, when for one person it may be cheaper but then for another more expensive.

I was with EDF, but now find myself with Npower.  Their online service is pretty good.  Monthly meter readings and there's no losing track of where you're at imo.

20 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Offtopic but an interesting post nonetheless. Wonder where the hell it was coming from. Think ol' granny just rigged the meter? 

Someone must of on her behalf! Poor sods next door paying haha

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

You can cancel the DD at anytime, after the first payment has been taken, through online banking.

It recommends you let the company know, but the bank won't pay anything once you've cancelled it with them.

You'd think wouldn't you. :whistle:

I used to work for a bank.

4 hours ago, BlueBrett said:

Energy companies are the worst. When I took on my place they were basing my bills on 'estimates' for the first few months. Took me ages to get them to actually record and track the meter readings and when they eventually agreed to have another look at my expected usage my bills came down by more than 200%! No wonder they were reluctant lol 

Pay by DD as I'd probably never even open the bill letters never mind get round to actually paying them.

Did they start paying you? 

I'm currently using Direct Debit for my Energy bills, and it's ok.

The only thing to note is that it might depend who your energy supplier is - when I moved into my current house, I got automatically switched to Spark Energy. That is a company I wouldn't trust with a DD. Fookers automatically blocked my first attempt to leave them, turns out they'd been abusing this with everyone who tried to go in the past http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/11416590/Spark-Energy-fined-after-blocking-29000-customer-requests-to-quit.html, and they were still at it last year even after being caught and fined.

as others have mentioned you have to be careful the supplier doesn't up your bills withour your permission.

A mate of mine was paying £50 per month for about a year and a half, occasionally getting in to credit and the usual winter spike would come. In February just gone, the energy company decided to up the DD to £76/month despite being in small credit and purely basing it on winter usage. The bills steadily decreased as expected as spring came along, but did the DD reduce as quickly as it went up? Obviously not lol. He had to contact the supplier to reduce the DD back to what it was. But he couldn't do that. He had to 'ask for a reassessment' and then get it reduced lol.

Of course they're always happy to take your money when it suits them!!

7 hours ago, MPH said:

Slightly off topic...

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

don't think that was it :ph34r: 

Archived