Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kinowe Soorie

Self employed workers

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Yes, through an IT recruitment agency.

What industry you in/thinking of going into?

I've been self employed for years, was just interested if people advertised, word of mouth, friends, contacts, websites etc? If advertising, what methods?

How is the work through agency's? Do you get messed around by them?

Self employed for years. Mainly get work through word of mouth. On the odd occasion I've advertised I've only ever got enquiries from time wasters who think you work for £100 a week. I've got a builder mate who advertises every month in the Syston Times and that's how he gets most of his work. I suppose it's different for different trades.

1 hour ago, Kinowe Soorie said:

I've been self employed for years, was just interested if people advertised, word of mouth, friends, contacts, websites etc? If advertising, what methods?

How is the work through agency's? Do you get messed around by them?

I've been messed around by one agency, they lied to me about how much I was being charged out at and they took ages paying me and others, they owed one guy £70,000 at one point. I ditched them after being messed about for a couple of years. I found one agent that was excellent, he got me a few contracts no issue with payments or his commission or anything.

Through agencies like Captain, although I generally work for engineering companies. Been doing it for the last 2 1/2 years. At my age and doubtful health history, on paper, I doubt whether I will ever get a permanent job again. Like Captain it is a bit of a roller-coaster ride at times. Some good, some desperately bad. Last year good, then a few months working for a bullying Glaswegian tyrant. Leaving was a blessed relief. I elected to spend my hard-earned cash doing up my house, while I looked for something else. House has increased in value far more than I could have earned in the time, so although I have got diddly squat in the bank I m reasonably happy with the outcome. In my current contract I am working with a lady who also had a short and unhappy stint working for the same Glaswegian tyrant ... he can ... Feck aff an' bile yer heid!!! It's a small world.

Been working for myself for 10 years. Could never go back to a proper job now!!

Usually word of mouth and also doing a bit of sub contract work. 

Took a bit of a punt earlier this year by paying for a sales person, via an online system - think it was called 'people per hour' or something. 

Gave them a script and paid £300 for someone to call up a contacts list I'd bought... they called about 500 of the contacts...and I got minimal response and zero business from it!

Not ideal, but had to be tried. 

Mainly from word of mouth. The key in my profession, in order to maintain a high level of fees is to: a) offer a high level of service; and b) ensure that service is not available to just anyone. 

Social media is something my business is starting to venture a bit more into. Albeit my being selective in who we follow/have following us. Networking events etc are good to an extent.

A number of years in the profession and starting off with people down the food chain and in a similar position to me when I started. Those guys, just like me have worked up their profession. That's where a lot, if not all of my work comes from. 

Working for yourself, when it works, is great...

On 09/08/2017 at 14:45, Kinowe Soorie said:

Are many of you Foxes Talker's self employed? If so, how do you get your work?

I do most of my work on an associate basis.

Its perfect for me as I hate sales and marketing so I'm quite happy to pay a % of my daily rate to another company to do all the leg work.

My own clients have mainly come from referrals  or my network. I've learned over the years to try and under promise and then over delivery plus give a little away for free, which hopefully keeps clients coming back for more :)

37 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I do most of my work on an associate basis.

Its perfect for me as I hate sales and marketing so I'm quite happy to pay a % of my daily rate to another company to do all the leg work.

My own clients have mainly come from referrals  or my network. I've learned over the years to try and under promise and then over delivery plus give a little away for free, which hopefully keeps clients coming back for more :)

Being a gigolo has got to be a tough job mate

I've done quite a bit of networking and most of its bollocks.  I joined a BNI Chapter and made about £40k from referrals in the first year and am on course for similar this year.

You have to pay an annual subscription of £400 but its well worth it.  They only allow 1 person per profession so there's never any conflicts.

Well worth a look.

9 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I've done quite a bit of networking and most of its bollocks.  I joined a BNI Chapter and made about £40k from referrals in the first year and am on course for similar this year.

You have to pay an annual subscription of £400 but its well worth it.  They only allow 1 person per profession so there's never any conflicts.

Well worth a look.

It's brilliant, my mum and step-dad are in a group each for their business and it's been so useful in achieving growth as well as benefitting from expertise with the other professions there.

5 minutes ago, Wookie said:

It's brilliant, my mum and step-dad are in a group each for their business and it's been so useful in achieving growth as well as benefitting from expertise with the other professions there.

It is quite unbelievable the amount of free advice you pick up from the other people.

Cant speak highly enough if it.

I've been self employed for almost 20 years. Sometimes you're busier than others. I push myself at times and sit back a bit at times. The trick is not to worry too much during the leaner times but not spend, spend, spend when things are flying. Paid off my mortgage so that gives a little more freedom. I don't get paid holidays or if I'm sick but that's the nature of the beast and I'm not complaining. Also, I love the various bits of work I do.

Archived